Eddie Betts Drive By | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie Betts Drive By

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
My blood is boiling over the Eddie Betts story in the media today. It's 2024 FFS! What kind of human goes out and does a drive by to spew racist BS at a bunch of kids playing in their own backyard, minding their own business? This society is @#$%ed if that's what's going on out there. God I hope they catch this moron and publicly shame him.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
My blood is boiling over the Eddie Betts story in the media today. It's 2024 FFS! What kind of human goes out and does a drive by to spew racist BS at a bunch of kids playing in their own backyard, minding their own business? This society is @#$%ed if that's what's going on out there. God I hope they catch this moron and publicly shame him.
There are some *smile* up people in the world
:mad::mad:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It must be some mistake, Australia isn't a racist country.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I have read Eddie’s book and I highly recommend it. Despite playing for the wrong club Eddie is a quality human being and he has been subject to a lot of racism in his life.

He lives in the Glen Iris area and I have heard him talk before about his kids being subject to racial taunts at a local pool, which I suspect would be the Harold Holt pool in High street.

We need to keep calling it out and I am glad he does.

Reactions: 4 users
Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Very much the wrong kind of core memory for these kids.

I remember LeBron James having the same word sprayed across his front gate in the night. In a raw moment afterwards he said these kinds of things made him question every white person he came across. He hated the idea, but
the gate proved these sharks were swimming the waters. People who wished him Ill and saw him as subhuman exist, and our brains ensure we’re on guard from these kinds of things.

People who say indigenous people are racist because they bring up race at all need to understand that race is a wall they have to climb over every day, whether you see it or not. It’s put there by these kinds of things.

Now those kids have the same worry and mistrust to undo. I have no idea what I’d say to those kids if I was Eddie.

Heartbreaking.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
:vomit

roughly 40% of Australians aren't very racist

if you could bet on who the foul humans in the car barrack for,

Collingwood would have to be short favourites

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The only thing surprising about this is that anyone would find it surprising.

There are too many dickheads running around.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
yeah nah, there are good people, and racist *smile*, supporting all teams.
You are not incorrect, but the fact is Collingwood tend to be on the wrong side of any racism controversy, going back 30 years. Form is form.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Pathetic, gutless coward/s, is being too kind to the lowlife/s racist/s.

Having said that, I wonder if it was a neighbour who was annoyed by the noise of the repetitive bouncing of the basketball.
Eddie could perhaps be a bit more thoughtful of his neighbours, because 0840pm is a bit late to be shooting hoops.

If it was the hour of the day that annoyed the racist/s, how about respectfully saying to Eddie that it's getting late, would you mind finishing up for the day.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
:vomit

roughly 40% of Australians aren't very racist

if you could bet on who the foul humans in the car barrack for,

Collingwood would have to be short favourites
Nah. Sorry Eaze but this just puts these people in the frame of some other group. Its not us. And those pies supporters, will boy will boys and mugs will be racist mugs.

They could be tiger supporters. It doesnt matter. This is not footy partisan.
its rude, antisocial and racist.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Nah. Sorry Eaze but this just puts these people in the frame of some other group. Its not us. And those pies supporters, will boy will boys and mugs will be racist mugs.

They could be tiger supporters. It doesnt matter. This is not footy partisan.
its rude, antisocial and racist.

yeah

they are in the frame of some other group. and a majority group.

It's certainly not my group.

its the 60% of Australians who have no respect our indigenous people at best, hate them at worst, group.

no laughing it off here. But also, like Tony Armstrong said, absolutely no surprise.

This is horrendously normal for Indigenous Australians.

I was just pointing out that its maybe footy related, given Eddie is an Indigenous Champ,

that it certainly only made news because of footy,

and that Collingwood is usually front and centre in racism.

Winmar, Lumbumba, Goodes, McGuire, McCallister, Betts?

its a form line like Winx.

Of course RFC would be racist, they are an Australian institution, but not in the same weight division as Collingwood.

and this is a footy forum?

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
yeah

they are in the frame of some other group. and a majority group.

It's certainly not my group.

its the 60% of Australians who have no respect our indigenous people at best, hate them at worst, group.

no laughing it off here. But also, like Tony Armstrong said, absolutely no surprise.

This is horrendously normal for Indigenous Australians.

I was just pointing out that its maybe footy related, given Eddie is an Indigenous Champ,

that it certainly only made news because of footy,

and that Collingwood is usually front and centre in racism.

Winmar, Lumbumba, Goodes, McGuire, McCallister, Betts?

its a form line like Winx.

Of course RFC would be racist, they are an Australian institution, but not in the same weight division as Collingwood.

and this is a footy forum?
Monkhorst is another, probably the worst of the lot.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I've only ever had 1 issue with Betts - he played too well against us (could have had some pity back years ago when we were rubbish? Yeah, maybe not!).

He has always come across as a genuinely great human being and so courageous to keep coming out when this sort of thing happens to him. He knows that coming out and calling out this crap will mean he attracts more sh**t but he's willing to do it.

He, and his family, just shouldn't have to put up with this crap.

Until recently I worked with a mob of indigenous people. The worst thing about working with indigenous people was how surprised they were when they were treated as well as everyone else - this always depressed me as they should expect to be treated as well as everyone else, but they're not. Every day of their lives they are having to prove themselves, that they are at least the equal of everyone else. The indigenous people I was dealing with were often completing PhDs and still they had to rail against ideas that they are somehow not the equal of whitefellas. Profoundly depressing.

I hope at least having Eddie Betts call this out leads some to question their views on Indigenous Australians.

All power to you Eddie.

DS

Reactions: 1 users