Essendon = Entitlement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Essendon = Entitlement

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
They (the players) kept it quiet because they were clearly instructed to by Hird and others at a full team meeting at the start of the season. They were also required to sign declarations at the time exonerating the Club.

Jobe admitted to being administered AOD 9604. Sure diehards can argue it could have been anything. Essendon chose to fight that AOD9604 had been banned ‘at the time”.

Nice little article in the Murray Standard (just doing a google search) where Dank said that Hirdy took Hexeralin. Not that the players did but he personally injected Hird with Hexeralin. (april 2013 article date). I don’t think the Golden Child got $60k worth though. He also said - yeah they players were injected with AOD9604.

‘Dank claimed that at Essendon, Hird strongly supported his work and encouraged him to push the boundaries”. Dank was part of his “inner sanctum”.

The whole sooking by Robbo is unnecessary when it comes to the blood samples being destroyed after ten years. The stuff doesn’t show up in a blood sample after 48 hours. It flushes through pretty quickly. Does aid in muscle recovery and increased training loads as you take it progressively.

Reactions: 4 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Who said they did keep it quiet and why would anyone have cared if they heard about it?

If they have a so-called expert in charge and telling them this is cutting edge stuff and all safe and legal, why wouldn't they trust that?

It's not like injections are foreign to football clubs and as I understand it the off-site matter was pitched as being about going to a sterile premises which I think would be accepted by most lay-people as well.
Yes. Players would do as instructed. Doesn’t make it right though. Understandable on the players part.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
They (the players) kept it quiet because they were clearly instructed to by Hird and others at a full team meeting at the start of the season.

The context of which as given in evidence by most players (with one notable exception) was about secrecy from other clubs, not because they had something to hide from the authorities.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
The context of which as given in evidence by most players (with one notable exception) was about secrecy from other clubs, not because they had something to hide from the authorities.
Pretty sure it included not telling anyone. Including your families. Cos of it’s top secreteveness and boundary pushing. The latter is consistent with the whole thing. The fact that they pushed too far is the risk you take. Particularly with a snake oil merchant like Dank.

Reactions: 2 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
thats hilarious.

The players got asked numerous times (cant remember how many but it was in the 47 page report) to declare everything they had put in their bodies & they said nuffink to hide it from the other clubs

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
By Dank certainly but I think the evidence shows Hird responded to Reid's concerns by reiterating everything they do should be cleared by the Dr.

Then later Dank is whinging to him about Dr Reid 'slowing things down' and Hird asks Danny Corcoran to use his 'united nation' skills to negotiate with Reid.
are you sure, the excerpts I read had Hird whinging to Dank.

Not sure your attempt to rewrite history is going all that well

Were you at Essenbong @ the time ?

Reactions: 6 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
thats hilarious.

The players got asked numerous times (cant remember how many but it was in the 47 page report) to declare everything they had put in their bodies & they said nuffink to hide it from the other clubs
Spot on Taz. The big corno never mentions that..

This is such old ground.
Don't feel sorry for Jab & the rest of the Essendrugs 34.
They kept the systematic needle program from ASADA officials despite being asked repeatedly.

The 'innocent' narrative bugs me. *smile* them.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I don’t think TBR is arguing essendons’ innocence. My take is he is arguing that at the beginning of it all many other clubs had committed the same level of infraction that Essendon had when they were investigated and thus is unfair that other clubs weren’t also investigated. Personally I think that’s ridiculous but there you go.

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I don’t think TBR is arguing essendons’ innocence. My take is he is arguing that at the beginning of it all many other clubs had committed the same level of infraction that Essendon had when they were investigated and thus is unfair that other clubs weren’t also investigated. Personally I think that’s ridiculous but there you go.

Yes exactly right.

Essendon copped what they copped and while there are massive issues with some of the penalties and the people that wore them, that is essentially fair enough.

What I also am certain of was there was multiple clubs, most if not all in the AFL, and a huge percentage of players who were engaging in practices that put them outside the codes.

That is not to say it was on the same scale as Essendon by any means necessarily, but the code doesn't care. If you take one banned substance once, you are essentially seen the same as if you take 100 over 6 months.

If my mind holds up until my death bed I'll post how I know what I know but until then I'll leave it to others to consider the facts for themselves.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Yes exactly right.
I
Essendon copped what they copped and while there are massive issues with some of the penalties and the people that wore them, that is essentially fair enough.

What I also am certain of was there was multiple clubs, most if not all in the AFL, and a huge percentage of players who were engaging in practices that put them outside the codes.

That is not to say it was on the same scale as Essendon by any means necessarily, but the code doesn't care. If you take one banned substance once, you are essentially seen the same as if you take 100 over 6 months.

If my mind holds up until my death bed I'll post how I know what I know but until then I'll leave it to others to consider the facts for themselves.
Richo Dank?? :giggle:

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Floggo doing a great job keeping this story alive & further deepening the Essenwound.

The most delicious aspect to this scandal is that Golden Boy, the favourite son is at the heart of the matter.....

The cult will not let it go.

Reactions: 3 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Floggo doing a great job keeping this story alive & further deepening the Essenwound.

The most delicious aspect to this scandal is that Golden Boy, the favourite son is at the heart of the matter.....

The cult will not let it go.
Never……will they never let it go……. Richard (the shortened version got amended) Reynolds triple brownlow medallist….John Coleman (and with due respect I honestly say this) may have been the greatest full forward of all time apart from injury, which may have been fixable today. Both………never led their club to this position. Hird and Daddy Hird who appears to be living his life through his son ( let’s not forget his unforgettable 4 games in the VFL), will never go away. But he has been quoted ad nauseam in the press. Because of his history as… um….an administrator…….ummm…..his expertise in sports medicine…..ummmm……or….as Jim’s Dad. Oh ok. The latter.

And with the head sports Journo at the H/S in Robbo, who has been their official mouthpiece for a long time. It will never go away. Did I mention Robbo used to ghostwrite Hirdy’s column when he was a player. 0h yes. I think i did. Might as well be a family member.

While Hird draws breath. He is the golden child.

2017-2020. The Richmond FC won 3 flags. Dustin Martin. 3 Normies. Trent Cotchin 3 times premiership captain.

Both still playing….with the chance to improve their records.

Maybe we should have just stayed playing the same under the great man Tommy Haley (‘who was a great man) and kick it to Royce (or the new Royce) and we would have won every year since 1974??? That would be a big NO from me. But living in the past, I am so glad we have moved on from.

Go back to the chocolate shop Hirdy and take Robbo and Daddy with you. Live in the past……PLEASE.

Continue to snipe and disrupt the Club you love?? Comedy *smile* gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
are you sure, the excerpts I read had Hird whinging to Dank.

In January 2012, Essendon's club doctor, Dr Bruce Reid, raised concerns about aspects of the program to the club. In particular, Dank had not liaised with Reid on the details of the program, which included administering substances that Reid had not personally approved, which was against the historical chain of accountability within the club. Reid wrote a letter to Hird and club general manager Paul Hamilton in January, recording his opinion that the substances Dank was administering were "playing at the edge" of legality with the potential to "read extremely badly in the press for [the] club", and that he was unconvinced that either the benefits or the side effects were well understood.[3] At that point, the club's administrators agreed that Reid's approval was required in the future; however, evidence gathered during the investigation indicated Reid was largely kept out of the loop from that point on. Player Luke Davis gave evidence that he was instructed to keep the injections secret from Reid and other coaching staff, although other players disputed that they received such instructions.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
In January 2012, Essendon's club doctor, Dr Bruce Reid, raised concerns about aspects of the program to the club. In particular, Dank had not liaised with Reid on the details of the program, which included administering substances that Reid had not personally approved, which was against the historical chain of accountability within the club. Reid wrote a letter to Hird and club general manager Paul Hamilton in January, recording his opinion that the substances Dank was administering were "playing at the edge" of legality with the potential to "read extremely badly in the press for [the] club", and that he was unconvinced that either the benefits or the side effects were well understood.[3] At that point, the club's administrators agreed that Reid's approval was required in the future; however, evidence gathered during the investigation indicated Reid was largely kept out of the loop from that point on. Player Luke Davis gave evidence that he was instructed to keep the injections secret from Reid and other coaching staff, although other players disputed that they received such instructions.

Bingo.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

Think you'll find the meeting between Hird, Reid, Hamilton and Dank after the letter agreed that Reid must approve everything.

Dank was the one who kept him out of the loop and Hamilton, as the manager of both Hird and Robinson, who managed Dank, failed to ensure the instruction was carried out.

What happened to Hamilton I hear you ask? Went straight to a job with the AFL in country Victoria. Hmmmmm.

Reactions: 1 user