Ex-director may challenge Tiger boss (realfooty) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ex-director may challenge Tiger boss (realfooty)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ex-director may challenge Tiger boss
By Caroline Wilson, Jake Niall
March 26, 2004

Embattled Richmond president Clinton Casey.
Picture: Getty Images

Former Richmond vice-president Brendan Schwab has left the door open to join a challenge against beleaguered president Clinton Casey and his board, which has lost another member.

While Schwab last night denied he was part of a formal ticket pushing for an extraordinary general meeting in a bid to throw out the Tiger directors, he would not rule out any future involvement in the club.

And The Age believes that an influential group of Richmond backers have been working to form a ticket to challenge Casey as the club prepares for the launch of its 2004 season.

Michael Daddo last night confirmed his resignation as a director, saying he had quit due to "differences of opinion on how the board was being led and managed" and to spend more time on business and family commitments.

Daddo is the third director to quit in the past two weeks.

Casey said he was aware of a potential challenge. "If someone wants to do that and thinks they can do a better job than the current board, then let them do that," said Casey, who met a small group of his directors at Tigerland late yesterday.

Schwab said he was not a part of any ticket to challenge Casey's board at this stage. But he said: "Given my lifelong commitment to the club, I would never rule out being involved in Richmond in any productive capacity.

"However, I would not contemplate being involved unless those matters which provoked my resignation are addressed and any future involvement would be a matter for the club and its members.

"I stepped down from the board for a number of reasons which I feel very strongly about, not for any political purpose."

Conceding the club could lose $2 million in 2004 in a worst-case scenario, Casey said the club had now secured a new sponsor for coach Danny Frawley and was $150,000 ahead of budget on ticket sales for tonight's season opener against Collingwood.

"I can tell you I've had a lot of calls of support in recent days and already our financial position looks brighter than it did at the start of this month," Casey said.

Responding to claims in yesterday's Age that the board had breached corporate law by not correctly signing off on its 2003 accounts, Casey said: "Brendan Schwab believed the accounts required a full board meeting to rectify that decision. The board did not see it that way.

"I understand where Brendan is coming from but that is just Brendan's view."

Schwab, a lawyer, sought two independent legal opinions on the issue, which backed his view, before resigning from the board.

The Tigers' major sponsor, the Transport Accident Commission, is believed to have been made aware of Schwab's accusations and is monitoring the club's corporate governance responsibilities.

Casey also has underwritten the club to the tune of $1.7 million in recent months. The AFL has refused to comment on the corporate law issue.

Casey said the club's present cash-flow crisis was caused in part by a new agreement with the AFL Players Association, which stipulated footballers must be paid monthly.

Suddenly, the Tigers have been faced with a wages bill of more than $1 million, which must be paid immediately.

Casey said this meant that the club's request for a redirection order from the AFL - effectively a guarantee from the league to the ANZ Bank - had risen from $2.3 million to $3.5 million.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/03/25/1079939785626.html?oneclick=true

How can the RFC go from a breakeven position in the worst case scenario to a potential loss of $2million in the space of a few months?

How can suddenly $2m fall off the bottom line in the worst case scenario?

Does Casey and his loyal followers have any idea when it comes to finances and financially managing the club?

I hope that the players can ignore all this crap, and just get on with their jobs. ie, play football and win games.
CC keeps saying what an important year this is for the club, and now it seems that he is singlehandedly trying to run the club off the rails.
Does he realise that he will be out of a job if he runs the club into the ground.

What worries me is if he is ousted and he takes his bat and ball with him i.e. money where does that leave RFC. :'(

We still haven't been told the full story :'(

A challenge may be the only way we will ever learn the facts.

I wish (hope?) that it doesn't have to come to that, but unless we have some accountability happening, what choice is there ?

The smell is getting stronger by the minute :mad:

Where is our "saviour" Ian Campbell at the moment? The silence is deafening. What about all our amazing new sponsorship deals and how much revenue they would provide and how successful we were becoming in this area? 3 or 4 months later and we're reading about potential massive losses, possibly up to $2million :eek:

Basket case :mad:

Ridley said:
Where is our "saviour" Ian Campbell at the moment? The silence is deafening. What about all our amazing new sponsorship deals and how much revenue they would provide and how successful we were becoming in this area? 3 or 4 months later and we're reading about potential massive losses, possibly up to $2million :eek:

I've just been asking myself the same question Rids. I reckon it's got too hard for Ian.
I hope he doesn't turn out to be an imposter, or perhaps he's another of Corn Chips "Yes Men". My opinion only but I guess time will tell

Ridley said:

Ditto for me too Ridley. Financial turn around is staggering. Too many people on too much money. Membership up 29%, sponsorship up yet cash flow down $500,000 on estimate. Who the hell did the estimate - did they think membership would be up to 40,000?

I'm embarrassed.

This may have all been discussed on some other threads so apologies if I'm going over old ground, but what's the story with the required qourum of directors ? Last night Corn Chips said that the minimum was 6. Others have quoted 5.

If it is 6 and 3 have already resigned, then if Rob Turner quits (as has been mooted he will), then what does that mean ? Does that mean a spill and a complete set of fresh elections is required for all positions ? What ?

And what is the process for replacing those 3 that have resigned ? How do replacements get appointed ?

Casey said that he would be announcing new appointments to the board at the President's Dinner tonight.

Wouldn't mind a ticket to that little function.

Dean3 said:
Casey said that he would be announcing new appointments to the board at the President's Dinner tonight.

Wouldn't mind a ticket to that little function.

So Casey get the chance to put more of his own men on the Board who will not stand up to his cavalier style which is crippling the club financially and whittled away the solid financial position that the club was in when he took over.

Just remember Clinton the annual financial statements do get audited and you are up for re-election at the end of the year. Responsible financial management is your responsibility Clinton. Abuse it and the true heart and soul of the RFC will not tolerate you any more.

Walster said:
What worries me is if he is ousted and he takes his bat and ball with him i.e. money where does that leave RFC. :'(

Walster the supporters will never let the tigers dissapear...i promise you that we will recover...its a matter of getting started on the road to recovery and there has to be a clean out from the top down...like NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can wipe the slate with this season, no club can overcome the turmoil that has surrounded the tiges.

Get the hell out of here Spud.
Take the hint mate.

Bit of an unfair call on Ian CAMPBELL in my opinion.

He like most others is probably trying to distance himself from the Board Room dramas and in my opinion quite rightly so.

What is to be achieved by him voicing his opinions. Nothing. If he did he would be forced to come out and support one side or the other which would just add to the devisiveness which would only be detrimental to the club.