Expanding the VFL.... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Expanding the VFL....

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Presently in the VFL we have the following 13 teams. 10 of these teams are aligned with AFL teams and three are 'stand alone' clubs (North Ballarat, Tasmania and Frankston).

Bendigo Bombers
Box Hill Hawks
Coburg Tigers
Frankston
Geelong
North Ballarat
Northern Bullants
Port Melbourne
Sandringham
Springvale
Tasmania
Werribee
Williamstown

With the way footy is structured now with the TAC cup IMO it would be a good idea to expand the VFL and create two divisions.
The new clubs that are included into this expanded competition should primarily be drawn from places that already have a U18 TAC cup team in place.

The U18 TAC cup teams are as follows.

Calder Cannons
Oakleigh Chargers
Dandenong Stingrays
Gippsland Power
Eastern Ranges
Geelong Falcons  
Sandringham Dragons  
Western Jets
Murray Bushrangers
Bendigo Pioneers  
Nth Ballarat Rebels  
Northern Knights  

So from that list IMO we need to form a team from the Murray region to be involved. Also a team from the Gippsland area and a team that represent the Western Region of Victoria.

That is 3. Add to that a team from the Mildura district, a team that represent the NSW/ACT/Wagga area.

That would make 18 teams which is too many for a one division competition (obviously) but still two to few for a 2 division comp.
So the other two teams could be sourced from the following.

Representative teams made up of players from the following leagues, EFL, DVFL and SFL. Or potentially have another team operating out of the Shepparton/Benalla/Seymour area.

IMO the new teams should all be representative teams and not started off the base of a pre-existing club (like Nth Ballarat) as this will not unite people to follow their teams fortunes if they didn't barrack for the pre-existing team.

A two division comp will create interest and ensure that as many kids as possible, especially in country and regional areas get not only exposure to footy at a higher level, but also an increased chance to be seen, without having been one of the selected lucky few to represent their area under the TAC cup programme. IMO many young blokes, for whatever reasons, may not have the chance to become AFL footballers because the pathway now seems so rigid, that if they don't follow that path they have little chance of ever making it.

The country rivalries would build up over time and become a feature of the expanded VFL.

The AFL have the money to do this, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Perhaps ch7's country arm (whatever that is called) could purchase the rights and selectively broadcast the match of the day for each towns team into their country district.

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on this?

Fair point you raise.

Doesnt Western Victoria has presentation via Geelong in the VFL and Geelong Falcons in the U/18. I was lead to believe that Geelong and the Falcons are working very close together.

I notice there is not a spot for Richmond in your expanded VFL.  I assume that's an oversight.

No oversight. I did think about posting at the bottom. 'No jokes about RFC ending up in the VFL please.' But then figured, there will always be people who are going to say that anyway.
I'd guess it'll appear another one or two times yet on this thread. Hopefully mixed in with some thoughts from the good people of PRE.

Tigerdog said:
Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on this?

My thoughts on this are that all of this current sides, and the prospective sides as well, would beat Richmond by 10 goals.

The VFL tried to have a Gippsland senior team in the VFL in the late 90s.  The Traralgon Footy club (Roosters).  The club struggled at VFL level, and the area didnt seem to really get behind their venture in the VFL.

I suggested (on the VFLFooty site) that Gippsland Power field a Senior side in the VFL, so that there is some representation in that part of the state.

cheers,
onslaught
http://www.vflfooty.com

I understand your logic Tdog but wonder if a change of this magnitude could ever occur given the inevitable animosity and scepticism to changes in Club structures, histories and traditional rivalries.

One issue of interest to me was the suggested team from the Wagga/ACT/NSW area. As you’d know, there’s already an AFL Canberra competition that includes teams from Wagga, the ACT and the Swans reserves.

If your proposed VFL was to include a team from this area, how would it co-exist with the AFL Canberra competition?

Hiya CanB.

Like I said each side should be a new team or representative side ideally. As then it would avoid the type of thing that onsl described in his post.

That way The NSW/ACT/Wagga comp could go on as it is. The only difference being, it's best players would be training with the NSW/ACT/Wagga representative side.

Thanks TDog.

It's a good initiative and I'd be interested at the AFL Canberra's reaction. Perhaps they’d worry it would make the game too `Vict-centric’. Perhaps they'd be concerned at splintering support for local footy up here.

Who knows? but, personally, I’d be rapt if a NSW/ ACT team took out the VFL :D ;D

In a way CanB, it may eventually prove to be a stepping stone, or basis, for a team to be launched into the AFL in the medium term future. Teams such as Tassie, NSW/ACT/Wagga(Get a mention as they are more Victorian thinking footy-wise then RL) I mean.

The other teams should be included as a development and interest type point of view.

That’s a very good point Tdog, although I wonder how a new AFL team flowing from a NSW/ ACT VFL team would fit with the Kangaroos.

I’m a strong advocate of the Roos forging links with this region as a means of survival. I don’t believe Melbourne can continue with the number of teams it has at present.

Perhaps the NSW/ ACT VFL team could be a feeder for the Kangaroos in addition to Port Melbourne?