Fine Flood Forecast | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fine Flood Forecast

wrennyboy

Go The Mighty Tigers
Dec 6, 2003
Gold Coast
Former Essendon player and development manager, David Flood, is eagerly awaiting the challenges that lie ahead in his new role as coach of Richmond's VFL affiliate, the Coburg Tigers.

Flood was appointed Coburg's coach late last week, replacing Paul Spargo who has moved into a full-time assistant coaching role at Richmond.

"I'm really excited about the position and very much looking forward to getting stuck into it," Flood said.

"There are a few hurdles to climb, but that's all part of it and it's going to be a good experience.

"I'm pretty raw as a first-time coach, and I'll make some mistakes along the way, but I'll learn from them . . ."

The 34-year-old played 54 senior games for Essendon from 1986-94 and has spent the past five years at Windy Hill in a developmental role with the club's young players.

"Working with the kids is what I enjoy most -- and that was certainly a big factor in attracting me to the coaching job with the Coburg Tigers, especially with Richmond picking up so many young players in the National Draft recently," he said.

"There's going to be a lot of kids coming through the system at Richmond and also at Coburg, because we're very keen to develop a closer relationship with the Calder Cannons (reigning TAC Cup under-18 premiers)."

Flood added that he's been most impressed with Richmond in his dealings with the Club to date.

"They've been professional, honest and really up-front with me. The strong impression I get is that this is a really exciting time for the Richmond Football Club, and I'm just pleased to be involved," he said.

Coburg Tigers general manager Des Ryan said Flood stood out as the ideal person for the coaching job . . .

"David is highly regarded through his work with young players and that's a key issue for us, as a club, moving forward," Ryan said.

"It's also been well-documented by footy people that he's a good thinker, is up-to-date with all the processes of modern AFL football, and is a person of excellent character.

"We believe he's going to be a fine acquisition for both the Coburg Tigers and the Richmond Football Club."

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks for that wrenny. B.T.W. welcome to PRE. :smileysanta

I will certainly make more of an effort to get to Melbourne to watch Coburg next season now we have the kids to follow.

Hopefully David is as good with them as it sounds and he gives them a good basis to build an AFL career on.

(P.S. It would be appreciated if you could post a link or the site you copied articles from. Thanks :)

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
From the "Moreland Leader" - a local Coburg paper.

Coburg employs Flood tactics.
By Brad Bishop.

[ironically, a picture of Dragga in a Coburg jumper playing against the
Bullants]

UNABLE to lure Kevin Sheedy back to the Tigerland, Richmond has turned
to a long-time understudy of the master coach to bring some of the former
Tiger great's influence to the club.

David Flood, who for the past few seasons has been an assistant to Sheedy
at Windy Hill after eight years playing for the Bombers, has been appointed
coach of Richmond's VFL affiliate, Coburg Tigers.

The 34-year-old, who narrowly missed selection in the Bombers' 1993 permiership
team, anticipates he will bring a lot of Sheedy's philosophies to City Oval.

"He (Sheedy) is a really positive person and hopefully some of that has rubbed
off on me," Flood said.

"He's a good coach, as he's proven over the last 20 to 25 years, and I think
positivity is one of his biggest assets.

"Also, I've come from a club that has a real winning culture and that's
something I'll be trying to get into Coburg.

Flood, who was told on November 28 he had been given the nod as Paul Spargo's
replacement, anticipates his heavy involvement with younger players in his
role as development coach at Essendon will stand him in good stead at Coburg.

"For the last five or six years I've been working a lot with young players
(at Essendon) and helping them further their careers and that's what I'll be
about at Coburg, too," he said.

As he only started in the role last Monday, Flood hasn't put a great deal
of thought into specific goals at Coburg, but he did say the success of the
union with Richmond would be crucial to onfield success.

"If we can get the balance right between Richmond players, the experienced
Coburg players and the younger players then we'll be more than competitive,"
he said.

"I've been impressed with the core leadership group; the Ryan Pagans, Dean
Talbots and Kristian De Pasquales have been great, and with some good young
kids coming up through the Calder Cannons, which bodes pretty well for
the future."