Fitness | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fitness

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Our fitness level are shocking.
Who's I'm charged of putting in the miles into our boys.
We were running on the spot after the 20min mark of the first qtr

Reactions: 1 user
Cotch and Shedda are battling to run out games in their final year.
Graham not yet at full fitness, but even when he is, he ain’t quick.
Our experienced mids are just hanging on.
Guys like Jack, Lynchy and Tarrant are slow and just about cooked.
The bit players / youth don’t trust their skills to run and carry and hit a target.
We are a slow old side peering over the cliff.
Fitness might be an issue but it’s more the make-up of our team.
There will be huge turnover at the end of 2022 and then it’ll be rebuild time with the class of 2021.
I know we all said it last year, but this year’s draft has gotta be mids, mids, mids.

Reactions: 5 users
And this is after a a club described great preseason.
The whole club needs a shake up

The problem with fitness training is you can over train and that slows you down
We look like we run out of juice
So there's no fitness level.
The teams this year that are doing well this year a running teams. Teams that can run from contest to contest. Teams that have player's that push back and help out in Def 50.

Zippers.

Zippers.

Zippers.

Axiom #1. *smile* teams tire.

The game has changed and now we see big players who can run fast and all day. We need to recruit to catch up on this score. Those over 190CM players who can run all day are no longer optional.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
In losses we have led up to:

Rd1: 11min mark 4th qtr
Rd3: 1min mark 4th qtr
Rd5: 16min mark 3rd qtr
Rd6: 13mn mark 3rd qtr

I don't know if it's all fitness, but we aren't being blasted off the park and out of the game early (which is good). But as attrition becomes a factor we drop away.

Is it fitness, mental commitment (and by that I mean implementing structures consistently for the whole game without concentration lapses allowing oppo scores) or simply oppo going up a gear and we only go to 3rd these days (when 2018 we had a mountain bike worth of gears). Dunno.

We did look slow & tired at times last night, but on reflection I think that's because Smelbun looked so quick.

We're not winning the ball at clearances so end up doing a lot of chasing. We do fade but we're also putting in a lot of effort which is not rewarded.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
We're not winning the ball at clearances so end up doing a lot of chasing. We do fade but we're also putting in a lot of effort which is not rewarded.

DS
Exactly. And if we get it, we're starting with the ball in our D50 Every single time. Then busting to try and get forward. Its massively inefficient. Very much swimming against the current, and we're running out of steam. I bet we'd look way fitter if we could be competitive in the middle.

Reactions: 2 users
Running numbers on the AFL tracker were almost exactly the same for both team on Sunday.
As Wayne Campbell said many years ago, when you are winning you become skilled and fit. When you are losing the opposite. His point was it a confidence/mindset thing.
I reckon our players know that we are only a 10 min burst from the oppo from losing no matter our lead.

DS
We’ll win it back post-clearance won us three flags. Kudos.

It doesn’t work now.

Adapt.

Reactions: 1 users