Five day break no problem: Frawley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Five day break no problem: Frawley

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Five day break no problem: Frawley
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
12:25:52 PM Fri 25 April, 2003

Richmond coach Danny Frawley believes his team has handled its five-day break well and is set to consolidate its strong start to the season when it meets Hawthorn on Saturday.

After beating St Kilda in round four, the Tigers' third straight win, the squad has managed the quick turnaround by completing modified training over the last few days.

“The boys have been really professional about it. Our conditioning staff have been (too). We’ve known about this since October 5 when the draw came out. Brisbane were able to do it last week, so that gives us a lot of confidence,” Frawley said before his side’s final run on Friday morning.

“We’re really looking forward to tomorrow’s game, and the boys will have a session today and we’ve made one change, one forced change. It’s great to see Andy Krakouer back. He’ll add a bit of freshness around the packs.”

Krakouer injured his knee in a Richmond intra-club match, and has played for VFL side Coburg for the last three weeks.

After winning three consecutive matches, Frawley said he had attempted to manage the team’s enthusiasm by encouraging his players to maintain their intensity, and approach this week’s match as a new beginning.

“It’s a new ball game. The intensity levels will have to be there, like they have been for three and a half weeks. We’ve played three and half (games) of pretty good football. We played an ordinary half of football out of four (games),” Frawley said.

“We know what makes us a good team. And that’s when we’re in and under and really making the opposition earn every kick and I think that’s been a real positive of our group, to know that we want to force the opposition to compete.”

Frawley forecast a big match for star spearhead Matthew Richardson, who returned to the side last week after having surgery to repair a fractured cheekbone.

“I can smell a pretty big game from the big fella tomorrow,” Frawley said.

“I thought he was terrific for us last week. He led our leads and really worked hard. He had a hand in five or six goals. If he can do that tomorrow it’s all we want a forward to do – to create or be a hand in five or six goals as he did last week. That’s all we ask for, some more of the same tomorrow.”

Richardson played with the injury in round two, but was a late withdrawal the following week.

“His ability to play with injury is probably second to none,” Frawley said.

“He’s been doing that since he was 18. He’s had his fair share of injuries and he knows better than anyone else how to get over them. I think he’s a credit to himself.”

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I think Richo's a goal kicking feast waiting to happen, and this could be the week.
I read a rumour that Jon Hay won't play tomorrow...then again I doubt he'd trouble Richo if he played anyway, he scores stuff all points for my Dream Team, ha. ;D

P

Parker

rosy3 said:
I think Richo's a goal kicking feast waiting to happen, and this could be the week.
I read a rumour that Jon Hay won't play tomorrow...then again I doubt he'd trouble Richo if he played anyway, he scores stuff all points for my Dream Team, ha. ;D

Beat me by 5 seconds!!!

Speaking of the 5 day break watching todays game raises my hopes for tomorrow , if they can play that well after a 6 day break then we should at least be able to put up a solid performance..Especially if its true we have pulled up ok after mondays game..Fingers crossed..

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Haha Parker, seems we hang around the same kind of places. ;D

I hope nothings been made of the 5 day break. Tell the players they'll feel buggered and they are bound to.

I hope the guys are as hard at it tomorrow as they've been in other games this year.

The reward is going above the Pies on the ladder. :D

(actually I spose we are above them now anyway, their percentage would have taken a bit of a hiding today.....sad :rollin )

Go Tiges.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
rosy3 said:
I hope nothings been made of the 5 day break. Tell the players they'll feel buggered and they are bound to.

I hope the guys are as hard at it tomorrow as they've been in other games this year.

Agree rosy. Brisbane had a 5 day break leading up to their game against Collingwood yet overran the pies in the second half.

Let's go in hard right from the start and beat them. No excuses.

PS. We are now third on the ladder :).