Forward line entry | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Forward line entry

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Like many I have noticed our forward line entry in the main, consists of bombs from outside the 50 metre arc.

In the past years our strength has been quick entries and mainly to a position player or if not it would come to ground for our "nippers" to swoop in.

If that is what McQualter has brought to our club then it is not what we are used to.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he came to us this year in place of Caracella...who in MHO we miss...

He came from St Kilda I think, and they were not exactly shining lights in the past few years, so why did we get him?

Thoughts??

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Nope, McQualter was with us last year. Kingsley was the new coach who came from St Kilda. He's our stoppage coach.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Craig MacRae. McQualter is our ball movement coach. These are the 2 where we are falling down.

Reactions: 1 users

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
McQualter has been with us for some time - he was there when we won in 2017 and is still there. Think he has earned his stripes.

Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I think there is a trend in place with a heavy defensive flood that is stone walling our forward handball style. We still manage to win enough ball however that connection with forward line is damaged due to the numbers in our way . A real challenge to coaches to find space and choose better options

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Just bomb it in long.
Works when the smalls are on their game.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Just bomb it in long.
Yeah looks good when it works but with quality mids out our delivery into forward 50 has been far too predictable. We aren’t even getting pack marks from jack or lynch and the little guys just aren’t getting to the fall of the ball with any regularity. I would like to see us playing a bit smarter and lowering the eyes or pagans paddock with dusty or lynch, not all the time but mixing it up. Forward structure just looking ordinary at the moment.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
To me it’s as much about structure as it is about the kick inside 50. With two key talls, there has to be separation. One needs to play the CHF role & get up the ground as much as possible which then leaves room in behind. The other plays from the square & especially is the get out target for a midfielder under pressure. Too often this year, Lynch & Riewoldt have been flying for the same ball. There’s no question the small forwards have been poor as Lynch/Riewoldt don’t get out marked much at all. It would also help if any bombs go to the top of the square - far more dangerous if spillage happens. We seem to bomb for the pockets & look for secondary throw ins if a mark/crumb doesn’t happen. That’s too easy to defend though IMO. Footy isn’t rocket science & it’s not hard to have forward principles to follow. First preference for a kicker coming into a better structured forward line is to go to a forward on the move in the most central location. That’s pretty much all we did in 2017. It would also help us to be a better clearance/contested ball team & take advantage of the 6-6-6 rule before the opposition floods back. The thing I can’t understand at the moment is the seeming lack of a plan.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
To me it’s as much about structure as it is about the kick inside 50. With two key talls, there has to be separation. One needs to play the CHF role & get up the ground as much as possible which then leaves room in behind. The other plays from the square & especially is the get out target for a midfielder under pressure. Too often this year, Lynch & Riewoldt have been flying for the same ball. There’s no question the small forwards have been poor as Lynch/Riewoldt don’t get out marked much at all. It would also help if any bombs go to the top of the square - far more dangerous if spillage happens. We seem to bomb for the pockets & look for secondary throw ins if a mark/crumb doesn’t happen. That’s too easy to defend though IMO. Footy isn’t rocket science & it’s not hard to have forward principles to follow. First preference for a kicker coming into a better structured forward line is to go to a forward on the move in the most central location. That’s pretty much all we did in 2017. It would also help us to be a better clearance/contested ball team & take advantage of the 6-6-6 rule before the opposition floods back. The thing I can’t understand at the moment is the seeming lack of a plan.
Thats what worries me, it's gone on to long for it to just be form, I know we have a lot of outs, which hasn't helped, but we need to find a way to draw the oppo out of our F50.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Just bomb it in long.

Kick it 50m along the ground into space for our smalls to run onto.

Even if the opposition’s spare man gets possession, he’ll be getting tackled immediately instead of taking an easy mark.

Worm burners are the ultimate chaos ball, and they’re fast!

Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
McQualter has been with us for some time - he was there when we won in 2017 and is still there. Think he has earned his stripes.

Thanks for the correction Mouse.
I certainly got mixed up with those coaches.
However my original intent was a discussion on why we seem to just bomb it into the forward line which is not working.
BTW, we are now out of the 8 and badly need to win tomorrow night against the Doggies.
I fear if we continue with our present mode of forward work we will not win.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Notice in the HS today some Tiger person in the sports page has mentioned the long bombs into our forward line.

Must be a PREnder, as it is almost as some have written on here, me included.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Nearly all forwards in all teams are having trouble this year. This is not just a problem unique to the Tigers

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Thanks for the correction Mouse.
I certainly got mixed up with those coaches.
However my original intent was a discussion on why we seem to just bomb it into the forward line which is not working.
BTW, we are now out of the 8 and badly need to win tomorrow night against the Doggies.
I fear if we continue with our present mode of forward work we will not win.
One good thing is the Dogs back the way they play to win out, much the same as us, so there's a chance they won't flood like other teams. As they like to run, like us, it should come down to who's better a the same game style. As Jordan Lewis said, if you try to beat Richmond at their own game, good luck, it usually only works 1 in 10 times, of which David King agreed. Saints tried it and it worked, there's the 1! Finger crossed those two are right.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
We seem to be dominating the inside 50's when we play yet struggle to score.

When was the last time we saw a lace out pass to a leading Lynch or Jack ?

They can't seem to get any separation from their opponent.

Or is our forward line clogged up from opposition teams flooding ?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
do we think people are being tough on Lynch? he seems to be copping a lot of flak. he only broke his hand a few weeks ago. Maybe Jack and Lynch need to reverse roles for a week or 2 (make Jack the primary target and Lynch more of a decoy). it could also help Jack with confidence.