Francis Bourke- 300 Games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Francis Bourke- 300 Games

A

admin

A new article has been added to The Blast From The Past section on the main page.
This time an article about Francis Bourke's 300 game milestone.
Thanks once again to the person who typed it up and sent it to me to put on the site for people to read.
Does anybody have any recollections or stories to tell of Francis?
I can't say I ever saw him in action.

I really feel I show my age at times....

I remember in 1980 - we were playing North at that disgraceful Arden Street ground. Francis copped a really bad knock to the head and suffered a nasty gash above his eye. There was blood eveywhere. TJ moved him to the forward line and he took the most inspirational mark about 40 metres from goal. All the more remarkable because the eye that was bleeding was so swollen it had closed.

Francis Bourke kicked that goal. I can't remember if it put us in front or sealed the game but what a champion he was. That's why they called him saint Francis Bourke.

I also remember his 300th game - I am pretty sure it was out at Waverley and he spent most of the game on the bench.

I also remember his 300th game - I am pretty sure it was out at Waverley and he spent most of the game on the bench.

It was against South Melbourne and he played on John Roberts (we won the game). I've got footage of him being interviewed after the game, talking about how he found it hard to keep a handle on Roberts; I think he probably knew by then that his time was up.

My memory of Francis Bourke in 81, was the fighting in the goal square with Carlton's Peter Buzz (Rnd 1 at VFL Park).
In Rnd 4 on Anzac Day against Geelong, Bourke suffered a badly corked thigh. The internal bleeding made the injury long term. "Bourkey" just had enough!

P.S Dont ask me how I remember this stuff...It's in the blood!

bourke what a legend....i also remember that arden st game there was no blood rule in those days...it was a bad gash looked really ugly ....but this guy was full of courage he went forward took a great mark and goaled while blood still streamed down his face...it was inspirational stuff....

The blood pouring down his face was certainly a vivid image in the highlight reals of Francis Bourke.
But, wasn't there a game when he walked the entire length of a football field, with a broken leg?

Can you recall this game?

cant recall the game off the top of my head but heard a funny story told by francis when he was a guest on grumpy old men...his son (david) asked him if he played the whole game with his leg broken ...francis said yeah i actually broke it on thursday night at training...

I remember the blood game clearly, I was there. It was against Collingwood and it wasn't at Arden St, it was at the G. He got a free kick for the knock and had to stop every few steps to wipe the blood out of his eye just so he could see to kick the ball. Once he'd kicked the goal he went off and marked time in the boundary line while they stitched his eye up. The bloke was tough as. I didn't see the game where he broke his leg, but my parents did, he apparently WALKED off the ground, Glenferrie Oval with a broken leg. How tough is that?

CarnTheTiges said:
I remember the blood game clearly, I was there. It was against Collingwood and it wasn't at Arden St

Sorry buddy...Maybe you should consult your parents on this one. The game was at Ardent St in 1980.

Koalalill said:
Francis copped a really bad knock to the head and suffered a nasty gash above his eye. There was blood eveywhere. TJ moved him to the forward line and he took the most inspirational mark about 40 metres from goal. All the more remarkable because the eye that was bleeding was so swollen it had closed.

Francis Bourke kicked that goal. I can't remember if it put us in front or sealed the game but what a champion he was. That's why they called him saint Francis Bourke.

That was a great day to be a Richmond supporter. Truly inspirational.

Even when he was on one leg Bourkey still gave his all at fullback.

Two other comments about him. For anyone who only saw his son David play..... they were exact opposites in build, style, temperament, courage, effort etc. The other was by Souths/Swans captain Ricky Quade when interviewed after his last game about his greatest opponents "Francis Bourke was as good as any of them" or words to that effect.   

Bourkey broke his leg against Hawthorn in early 70s.

The bleeding face and the goal he kicked after going forward was against the Shinboners at Arden Street at the end of 1980 season. I think that win gave us the double chance (?).

There was another time when he got bashed at a pub, can't recall the exact details but think he was king-hit. He played the next day, I think, with 2 corker shiners!

I lent my "bible" to Sabretooth but I think if anyone else has "The Tigers of Old" they'll find a very good wrap-up of Bourke's career.

bugsy said:
Two other comments about him. For anyone who only saw his son David play..... they were exact opposites in.... courage.. .  

That's a big call questioning David's courage. In fact given his shortcomings both physically and ability wise I think his courage was all the more exceptional.
Unfortunatley he didn't have the ammo to back his courage up and he had the injuries to show for it.

rosy23 said:
That's a big call questioning David's courage. In fact given his shortcomings both physically and ability wise I think his courage was all the more exceptional.
Unfortunatley he didn't have the ammo to back his courage up and he had the injuries to show for it.

I never got to see David play "live" and am not aware of his injuries etc. so Rosy you may be correct re his courage. Physically he was taller, had longer reach and seemed faster than Francis. Somehow I hoped he would turn out to play like his father. But one thing Francis never ever did was "spit the dummy", drop his head or give up trying. In that regard I was very disappointed in David, whatever his reasons or excuses.

He must have copped a couple of decent knocks that year, because I WAS there at the MCG when he kicked a goal against COLLINGWOOD with blood streaming down his face from a cut above the eye. I can even remember a Collingwood supporter I went to school with crowing about how they'd managed to split the great Francis Bourke open on the Monday. I NEVER attended a game at Arden St and I don't have to consult with my parents, because we were all there at the MCG that day.

CarnTheTiges said:
I NEVER attended a game at Arden St and I don't have to consult with my parents, because we were all there at the MCG that day.

Ok buddy, keep your shirt on.

I,m 46 yrs old and been seeing the Tiges play/TV replays since 1965: All Bourkeys career. The cut eye at Arden St 1980, the broken leg at Victoria Park (he pushed the trainers out of the way and tried to play on). His fight, with ex Tiger Laurie Fowler vs Melbourne. The day Tommy put him at Full Forward (he didn't get a kick), it just goes on and on. Bourkey got a beating at his pub around Whittlesea way. Captained Victoria a couple of days later with black eyes, swollen face, massive headache. He was every inch a true Tiger Champion and was my hero. Love you still Francis.

Francis one of the best to wear the Tiger colours and his courage NEVER questioned, i watched many games he played in and there was no better sight than the Bourke - Clay wing combination, Some great memories.

puntroad