Francis Bourke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Francis Bourke

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think it would be good to start a few threads on ex players and our memories of them for us oldies.
I thought I would start with one of my favourite all time players the great Francis Bourke , St Francis. I have many memories of him but two stick out for me.

1.The game at Arden Street when he got hit in the head from a stray Greg Strachan boot . Blood streaming from his face and his jumper now Black , yellow and red he refused to come off the ground and wanted to take the kick himself . That day was also famous for a brawl in the reserves involving an up and coming Richmond forward by the name of Mark Jackson . He decided to take on the whole North Melbourne reserves team on his own.
2.The 1980 Grand Final . We are 70-80 points in front in the last quarter and the ball is kicked into Collingwoods forward zone . St Francis goes up for the mark and gets both hands on it but it is taken from his hands from behind by Ricky Barham from memory. It didn’t matter at all to the final result but Francis was incensed when the mark is given to Barham . He was kicking the ground and gesturing to the Umpire , he didn’t want to be beaten in a single contest no matter what .
A giant of the Richmond Footy Club , probably the most courageous player we have had in living memory.

Lets hear some more Francis Bourke memories .

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Unfortunately for me, I don't recall his playing days, although i have obviously see footage and read about him. He must have been a truly superb player.

My memory is a less complimentary one, and that is as coach of our last grand final side and being the perceived reason why we lost Cloke, Raines and Wood which is something we have never recovered from.

Oh, and he used to run the newsagency in Malvern Road when I would often get the paper!

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Sintiger said:
I thought he had the Newsagency in Maling Road in Canterbury ?

I think he has been at quite a few different ones. He was definately at Malvern Road for a time, also worked on Burke Road for a time too.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
I recall that Francis Bourke played on Timmy Watson in his first game.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not many realise that Francis's dad Frank was a gun full forward for Richmond in the 1940's before being cut down by a knee injury. Kicked 41 goals in his first 9 games, including 7 against Collingwood/Jack Regan.

EJC

Tiger Rookie
Dec 1, 2010
Ballarat
I was a bit young too but I do remember thinking as a kid that with Francis in the backline, we looked really, really solid. Of course, he had the likes of Keane, Malthouse, Dunne, etc. alongside him.

Smithy

Tiger Cub
Jun 3, 2011
Inner West
He began his career with the tigers on the wing. Everyone raves about the centreline of Bourke, Barrot and Clay. The only time I have seen them in action is in the finals videos. I wish there was more film from those golden days.

LandyJessKeane

Tiger Rookie
Dec 21, 2004
EJC said:
I was a bit young too but I do remember thinking as a kid that with Francis in the backline, we looked really, really solid. Of course, he had the likes of Keane, Malthouse, Dunne, etc. alongside him.

Dont Forget Jess and Landy. Back then we had our own Strachany who looked less a footballer than the idiot who used to be on Ten but must have been good to break into our side. Slow as hell though.

I never really remember seeing Bourkey doing the dirty stuff though he is remembered more for his toughness as it should be and is celebrated today.

Watch Mick Malthouse though in the 1980 Grand Final and the way he lays into any Collingwood player who takes a mark. Nasty piece of work.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
LandyJessKeane said:
Watch Mick Malthouse though in the 1980 Grand Final and the way he lays into any Collingwood player who takes a mark. Nasty piece of work.

I wasn't at the game, only have seen it on video/DVD.

But I reckon that Malthouse was probably BOG that day, although I fully understand why KB won the Norm Smith. He was dominant early when the game was won.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Streak said:
I wasn't at the game, only have seen it on video/DVD.

But I reckon that Malthouse was probably BOG that day, although I fully understand why KB won the Norm Smith. He was dominant early when the game was won.

Malthouse got a vote from someone in the Sporting Globe IIRC. May even have been one of the Norm Smith voters. But generally Bartlett, Raines and Lee received most of the accolades. One of the field umpires even said Raines, who'd failed to poll a vote as one of the outside chances for the Brownlow, would've received votes if they'd been awarded in the GF.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Malthouse got a vote from someone in the Sporting Globe IIRC. May even have been one of the Norm Smith voters. But generally Bartlett, Raines and Lee received most of the accolades. One of the field umpires even said Raines, who'd failed to poll a vote as one of the outside chances for the Brownlow, would've received votes if they'd been awarded in the GF.
I was there , seems like yesterday :'(

Raines was terrific that day . Cloke should have kicked 7-8 . Merv Keane was another who was very very good , he always played well in finals .
Mick Malthouse was good but when you win by so much there were plenty of good players .

What I remember most about that day was that the party started in the crowd in the 3rd quarter . The rest of the game was just one long celebration and sticking it up the Magpie supporters .

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
St Francis was sitting in the train that i was on after the game on Sunday evening . He was happy to chat with a few people and give his opinions ( which i couldn't quite hear ) and is still a great supporter of the Tigers .

He is also such a terrific fella , very humble .

HK Tiger

Tiger Tough
Nov 2, 2003
I remember at Arden street I think he broke his leg or arm and kept playing. Amazing player, dashing winger, later half back and even full back on occasions. Tough as nails ( not dirty) but hard at it.