Matt Rogers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Rogers

MillyMollyMandy

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2008
G'day Folks; just curious re. M. Rogers. I was poking around the net to see whether new GC recruit Seb Tape was related to the late Jamie Tape. Got to rememiscing about that era and thoughts turned to Matt. Anyone have any idea what he is up to these days? Is he involved with footy at all?

Jumpin Jimmy Jess

Tiger Rookie
Aug 30, 2010
Did Matty win the goal kicking for us one of those years when Richo was injured?

I reckon during the Richo era three other blokes won the Titus Medal. Rogers, Daffy and Morton.

I might be wrong though.

SAF

Tiger Superstar
Nov 23, 2007
Internet
Rogers was our leading goal kicker in 2000 with 37 goals. Richo was injuried for a lot of that season, from memory that was the year Richo broke his arm twice. It was definately Rogers best year with the club. Overall he was a decent player for us and got the most out of his ability, shame that more Richmond players of his era can't say the same.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I was at Subi one night and saw Rogers give Wirrapanda the mother of all towellings playing as a forward.

I watched the replay of the game later, and I remember Cometti saying the Rogaers was an extremely difficult player to match up on because of his height, speed and overhead ability.

I don't know about across his career, but that night the Eagles couldn't hold him.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Favorite memory of Rogers was his 2 final quarter goals on Bomber Thompson in the 1995 Semi Final.

My worst memory was him failing to make the distance from about 40 metres to put us in front against the Swans at the Dome late in 2000(?) which would have, I think, booked us a spot in the finals. My half full cup of beer was hurled on the floor when we lost that.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Geez, got rid of a beer Lucky Phil. Must have hurt.

What navy remembers of Rogers was that he would use his non-preferred even when in space.

Invariably resulting in a turnover. Infuriating.

CricketersArms

Keep rollin'
Aug 22, 2011
Ahh, Matty Rogers. Had a great 2001 season and was one of my favourites that year. Very handy player who would slot in nicely into our side today. He dropped away after we made a prelim in '01. Shame he's not around the club more often.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Saw him speak recently at C80.
My view on his career is he was a typical RFC player who never quite delivered on the promise.
Not the worst player we've ever had though that's for sure and had some talent.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
yeah I liked Matty, a good player. Treated shamefully by Miller and co. in his last game. He got a farewell game, was amongst the best and was made to retire anyway with about a week to go.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
DirtyDogTiger said:
yeah I liked Matty, a good player. Treated shamefully by Miller and co. in his last game. He got a farewell game, was amongst the best and was made to retire anyway with about a week to go.

That was Frawley trying to show he was a tough coach.

Bloody disgrace, how Rogers, Knights and Kellaway got shown the door.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
DirtyDogTiger said:
As Jack Dyer used to say he was a good ordinary player . Not the most talented on the list but was very reliable and had a very good career .

EJC

Tiger Rookie
Dec 1, 2010
Ballarat
He also had - check the old tapes - remarkably tiny hands. Not much chop under his knees, was Matty.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Punxsutawney Phil said:
My worst memory was him failing to make the distance from about 40 metres to put us in front against the Swans at the Dome late in 2000(?) which would have, I think, booked us a spot in the finals. My half full cup of beer was hurled on the floor when we lost that.

Probably the angriest I've ever left a game, the Richo hands in the back match excluded. O'Loughlin ducking and weaving and kicking an impossible goal... :mad: :mad:

michael roach

Tiger Superstar
Oct 6, 2009
I remember he kicked 5 goals against Geelong at the Dome on a Sunday in 2000 when we flogged them by 70 points.

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
had beautiful skills on his opposite left foot. was a compact efficient footballer and a good hff in his day. robbed of playing 200 games by a crew of shameless imposters

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Rogers and Tape had good impacts for the Tigers early on.

Played the first night game wearing #29 Rogers then started the season with the #4.