Frawley finds faith in victory | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Frawley finds faith in victory

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Frawley finds faith in victory
6:25:51 PM Sun 6 April, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

Richmond coach Danny Frawley is hoping the Tigers’ gutsy come-from-behind victory over the Western Bulldogs will restore the faith of many of the club’s disgruntled members.

The Tigers are renowned for not only having arguably the most passionate fans in the AFL but also the most volatile and football operations manager Greg Miller revealed before the round two win that some 9000 members had not re-joined the club from last year.

This was a result of not only the club’s poor first round showing against Collingwood but its dreadful 2002 season, when the club fell from 3rd to 14th.

But against the Bulldogs, the Tigers showed the kind of character so often evident in 2001 when it reached the preliminary final as they overcame a 14 point half-time deficit to win 16.15 (111) to 13.11 (89).

“The win today was about the club (as a whole),” Frawley said.

“It was great for the players’ belief factor, but the players also realise that we have got a hell of a lot of supporters and members out there.”

“There was a bit of pressure on our whole team today and they realise a win like that is important.”

“But I think regardless of the scoreline – the way we went about it today was the way Richmond members want to see us play.”

And no player better emphasised what Frawley was talking about than tough defender Andrew Kellaway.

Despite conceding 9cm and 10kg to Daniel Bandy – Kellaway was dominant against the Bulldogs’ centre-half-forward, who had been best afield when the Bulldogs beat Richmond last season.

“I thought he was sensational. He is in very good form and he is back to his 2000 form,” Frawley said of Kellaway, who was both the Tigers’ club champion and an All-Australian representative that season.

“He (Kellaway) is very hard at it and while sometimes he gives away a bit in the skill component and in height and speed – he makes up for it with what is inside his jumper.”

Frawley also praised the efforts of much-maligned wingman Greg Tivendale, who played one of his best games for the club and finished off an outstanding display with two goals.

“The way Greg Tivendale trains he is always going to turn the corner at some stage,” Frawley said.

“He is a good barometer for us and his intensity on the (training) track last week was a good mindset for all the players.”

“We thought if we all went in with mindset then we would get the four points.”