Frawley: Leave my boys alone - Part 1 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Frawley: Leave my boys alone - Part 1

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
28 June 2003 Herald Sun

THE media couldn't get enough of Danny Frawley during 2002.The big bloke with the homely Irish head was every journo's dream assignment. He was coach of a major AFL club and ever so obligingly made himself available on request, carrying his heart on his sleeve in all appearances.

He had an opinion on anything and everything and was perfectly located in the middle of town, too. The problem, though, was Frawley's Richmond didn't enjoy a great year in 2002. Third in 2001, 14th the next. Honeymoon over.

Between seasons, the club took what the coach calls a helicopter view. Result: Frawley the recluse. No, he says, he hasn't been gagged. Simply, there's a more appropriate structure in place since Greg Miller's arrival as director of football and Greg Hutchison's move from the coaching box to the office of football manager.

Frawley happily has confined himself to coaching, and post-match media conferences and the minimum number of appearances at other times.

Even when the Tigers raced to 6-2, he maintained his silence. Happier than ever. Finally, he agreed to speak to me on the record and at length during the break. He had a couple of scores to settle, too, and let me know along the way.

I could sense he was a trifle edgy, that he had been encouraged by Miller and company to front up. In the end it was Frawley as I've come to know him: talkative, disjointed and passionate. We have had a healthy relationship over a long period, and, hopefully, it survives. It will from this end.

I don't have a problem with him eyeballing me and letting me know he sees me as a Richmond basher. Or, chiding me for making so much of Greg Stafford's style of play.

Coaches go to bat for their club, their players; critics have a more dispassionate view.

They're opinions; we've all got them, and we're all entitled to them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where have you been? You're football's Howard Hughes? Look, I've probably done too much media in the past. We decided at the end of the year (2002) that I'm to talk on footy issues, anything on-field. I think I got away from that last year, doing too much.
Now we've got (director of football) Greg Miller, (football manager) Greg Hutchison talking about injuries, anything to do with off-field.

There's no gag on Danny Frawley. My domain is to talk about team performance. Once a week before the game, after the game.

Last year I was probably doing two or three before the game and it was far too much. There was no doubt, if there was an issue to do with Richmond, "wheel Danny Frawley out". There was no doubt it was out of whack. Too much.

I don't want to be seen to be commenting on, you know, how many people the Russians send into space. It interests me, but I don't want to be seen to be commenting on those type of things. It's not in my jurisdiction.

My total focus is about our team and our list and making sure our supporters can go to a game of footy knowing that the Tigers are going to be a competitive bunch out on the ground and that any team that plays Richmond know they're going to get a contest.

I totally believe at the end of last year people would have said 'No, you won't get a contest out of Richmond'.

That's the major step forward this year.

Was the media thing your call or Greg Miller's?

That was my call. We took a helicopter view of our year and the common denominator was that my head was in the media too much.

So, your initiative or someone else's?

It was a club initiative, yeah.

I think there's no doubt I learnt a hell of a lot from last year. I'm a lot better in that area.

julzqld

Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Re:Frawley: Leave my boys alone - Part 2

You're 6-2 and flying and even the sceptics are saying the Tigers have earned their stripes. Suddenly, it's 6-6.

Yeah, we'd love to be in a better position, but you look at the 12 games, and there's (only) one where we haven't been competitive, and that was against Sydney.

After a 6-2 start, we're all disappointed. One of our benchmarks, as a team, (was) we wanted to be known as a gritty team, we wanted to be one that had a consistency in effort and hardness and attack on the ball and, over the journey, we've done that other than one game.

We want our members and supporters to know they can come and watch us play and they'll get a consistent effort.

You don't kick a lot of goals. Are you too defensive?

We've proved we can. Against Melbourne (17), Fremantle (14), Hawthorn (18), St Kilda (17), Western Bulldogs (16).

Our effort's been there. We've just gone away from a couple of disciplines over the last couple of weeks. Just under pressure. We've probably tried to win the game off our own boot. We just got away from some team structures.

Like what?

Look, I'm not going to give away how we want to play.

We're trying to establish a winning formula, over not a short period, a long period.

The feeling at the moment is one that the journey's not going to be a short one, it's going to be a long one. We've just got to make sure there's improvement.

julzqld

Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Re:Frawley: Leave my boys alone - Part 3

You only needed to pinch one of the last four and you would have been seen to be on track.

It's a very even competition. Look at our leadership group. Brad Ottens, he just wants to get out and play some consistent football. Ben Holland's the same. We weren't prepared for Darren Gaspar to go down the same night Ottens made his return. Wayne Campbell, we didn't realise he was going to miss eight weeks.

Was it a mistake playing him in Perth?

Medically and physically, Wayne was right to play. You'd love to have your time over again, but the opinion was he was right to go. We all have to wear that one.

Before his injury, from my point of view, he was playing the best football of his career. By a long stretch.

Our leadership group -- Duncan (Kellaway), Holland, Ottens, Richardson, Gaspar and Campbell -- they're all having interrupted years.

I think there's been some real positives with Andy Kellaway, Mark Chaffey, Greg Tivendale, Kane Johnson, then you look at Coughlan, Hall, Newman, Zantuck, guys who are evolving, stepping up to the plate. That's a real positive. To me, there's been voids, but there's been someone filling the voids.

You'd be asking completely different questions if we were 8-4.

But you're not.
I think supporters, other than the Sydney game, would have been happy with the effort. That's not getting back into mediocrity, either, by the way. We're filthy we're 6-6 after a 6-2 start.

Why are you talking now?

I want to make sure the members and supporters know where we're at at this stage. They would be asking questions.

There's some Richmond bashers out there in the media. I'm probably looking at one at the moment.

There are times you would love to say more as a coach, but, at the end of the day, the results, hopefully, look after themselves. At the moment, they haven't, but the effort's been there.

It hasn't been good enough over the last four weeks, but there's still been some improvement there.

I look at some of the youngsters -- Rodan, Krakouer, Fiora; they're starting to evolve a bit. There's still plenty of improvement in our group.

On the weekend, we had one player who was 30 years of age (Leon Cameron).

julzqld

Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Re:Frawley: Leave my boys alone - Part 4

Richo?

As a coach, we're trying to kick team goals. We're trying to make sure that as a team we jell. Richo, to me, is playing a very team-oriented game. He's opening up voids for Leon Cameron, Andy Krakouer; he's creating a lot of goals that normally we'd expect him to kick and I think that's a learning curve for Matthew, but, as a coach, we can't rely on one, two, three, four players to be consistent.

What I preach to Matthew is to make sure he keeps leading and leading, and if it opens up the void to someone else, to me that's terrific.

If Matthew Richardson leads into a certain area and we kick it to him and that's not the right area, that's not Matthew's fault.

That's the (other) player's fault.

Who was in the right against Carlton: Richo or Rodan? Richo spat it, Newman marked it and kicked a goal.

Look, Matthew would be the first to admit that in that instance . . . he's an exuberant player . . . he was the first to admit he went overboard in that area, but, other than that, I thought he was opening up a hell of a lot of voids for players and we didn't step up to the plate as a team in certain areas.

Did you send the runner out to him?

We had a bit of a chat about it.

At the time or at the break?

We had a bit of a chat.

At the break?

We had a chat.

Why is the timing such a sensitive issue?

We had a chat about it.

A gentle chat or a yell chat?

A chat to say there's ways . . . we just had a chat.

Are you happy with his form?

We've all got different KPI'S (key performance indicators) and one of his is to make sure he keeps on the move. Make sure he creates goals for teammates and he's been doing that.

I don't mean to labour this.

It sounds like it.

Everyone talks about it. He was the captain against Carlton. Brendon Gale said on telly on the Sunday the other players don't mind Richo doing that sort of thing.

I look at all of our leadership group. We've all got to improve in a lot of areas. As a coach, I look at what he can give to the team. I think a lot of people look at maybe a 1000th of one per cent of what he does, which gets highlighted.

Does anyone look at the effort he did on the weekend where he dragged three players out of the corridor for one of our blokes to kick a goal? Do people notice that? He does that sort of thing; he's got two or three on him all the time.

We're gradually getting the structure right. Greg Stafford's been a Rock of Gibraltar the way he's been able to stand up and play 12 games on his own basically in the ruck and pushing forward.

He's one of our leaders and playing like a leader should. I know that you disagree sometimes with the way he (Stafford) plays but, as a coach, I couldn't be happier.

Coughlan, Zantuck and Newman are probably in a bracket where they're evolving. They've played their 40 games now and they've still got a hell of a lot of improvement in them. There's another bracket of Fiora, Rodan and Krakouer; you just want to see improvement in those kids.

julzqld

Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Re:Frawley: Leave my boys alone - Part 5

How about Rodan in the midfield?

He's been in there. Haven't you been watching our games? He's still learning the game. In an ideal world, he should be with Johnson, Campbell, Coughlan in there in bits and pieces . . . but there's been changes to our team where we've had to ask a little bit more of a youngster than normally I would have liked. Krakouer's only 19. Look out in two years. I think we all get a bit impatient.

Richo...

Oh, we're going back on to ...

It's not a bag. I'm just wondering if there's ever a time when you think to yourself 'I'll try him up the ground, here or there'?

I've played with Lockett. Where would you play Lockett?

Totally different players.

Yeah, they are. Where would you play Lloyd, Barry Hall?

Same answer. Different players. Your bloke is the most athletic of those blokes and the worst kick.

He's a terrific player, Matty. I tend to look at our whole 22 and he's one of the 22 and we want him to contribute the best way he can. I think Matthew's best position is forward of the centre; somewhere around there.

Go on, really? . . . No. 11 (Bowden), how's he going?

Joel steps up to the plate every week. He's resilient. Yeah, look, I wish I had another couple of him. We all want to improve. Joel knows he's got some areas of improvement, but he's one player that steps up to the plate every week.

Is he accountable?

Yeah, he is. He's one of our ball-winners, one of our guys we want to get the ball in their hands. He makes the correct decision most of the time. We've all got strengths, we've all got weaknesses. Joel's one of our players we want to make sure can put the ball inside the forward 50 more than others.

Does he have a licence to roam free?

That changes from week to week. Did you see his job on (Adam) Simpson the week before? It was a good, even duel.

He got tagged on the weekend by (Simon) Beaumont. I thought Joel played a serviceable game. You always try to free one or two players up if you can.

Is your bottom six a worry?

They'd be the first to admit their form's been a little bit up and down.

We've had 22 contributors in our wins, we've had 15 or 16 contributors over the last month and you can't win games of footy like that.

What's your best performance this year?

The Essendon game, and probably the St Kilda game. When the game was up for grabs nice and early, we were eight goals to two.

Duncan Kellaway. Are you missing his grunt?

I can tell you one easy way to get harder is to put Campbell, Johnson and Duncan Kellaway back in the team.

julzqld

Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Re:Frawley: Leave my boys alone - Part 6

The loss to Carlton . . .

The conditions on the weekend . . . look, I'm not taking anything away from Carlton, by the way. I thought they were well coached, they were well prepared. It was an extremely good performance, so don't think I'm sitting here saying we're a better team than Carlton.

You'd want to be, wouldn't you?

I thought on paper it was two very even teams on that given day.

Has the break come at a good or bad time?

Yeah, I am (happy). A lot of our guys have been doing more than expected. A few of our players really do need a let-up; seven or eight of them.

I look at Andy Kellaway and his performances have been terrific. He's playing on some players where he normally wouldn't with a full structure. He'll take any challenge you hand him. He deserves to have a weekend off.

Are you pleased you come back against Brisbane?

It's just another game of footy we've got to win. Four points up for grabs. At the end of the year, you have a look and see how many you've got.

Is the final eight the focus?

No, not at all. The total focus is getting our structures right and just a couple of areas we need to polish up on. Make sure we get back to where we were at the start of the year.

Darren Gaspar. You must have been mortified to see him go down?

He was one of the reasons why we were going to have a good year.

Stepped up to the plate on November 3. Walked into the joint and said: "Last year wasn't good enough. I'm going to do a couple of things a little bit differently." He never missed a beat, was dragging blokes along with him. Grabbed Zantuck, Hall, Newman, "Come on you, boys, let's go. Get this defence up and running". To me, he was back to his All-Australian form.

Do you think all the money talk affected him last year?

As a club, we'd do a hell of a lot of things differently. We've learnt from those examples.

How are you going personally? You are an emotional bloke.

Yeah, I am. That's one of my real positives and, at times, there's room for improvement. As a coach, I'm still learning.

What are you like at home?

We had our game review meeting (after the Carlton loss) the same day as my youngest girl's (Keeley) third birthday. I've got a hell of a lot better at switching off.

Did you get into the spirit?

Yeah, I put a party hat on. It didn't really fit my big loaf that well, but . . . glad there were no cameras around.

(Wife) Anita's got her own interests, she's her own woman, but, in saying that, she's a really good ally for me.

What's your outlet?

Playing golf (handicap of 18 at The National); going up to the farm (Bungaree).

The future?

We've just got to hold our nerve. You look at the successful teams; the structure off the field stands the test of time. I believe we've got a very strong structure to build on.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Thanks julzqld.

Just confirms that Frawley talks complete and utter *smile*. Could you imagine listening to that kind of crap week in week out as a player?

He has no clue, no direction and no hope.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
TigerFurious said:
Thanks julzqld.

Just confirms that Frawley talks complete and utter sh!t. Could you imagine listening to that kind of crap week in week out as a player?

He has no clue, no direction and no hope.
tell me TF what other coach would more or less say the samething?why do you think clubs are very careful what they say excpecially about their next opponent?what he says behind closed doors and not under the microscope of the media could/should be a totally different story.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
The next time Frawley gets so much press will be as an interview as the new umpires coach!
What a load of drivvle. He is deluded.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The guy has no idea. How can he say that besides the loss to Sydney our supporters would have been happy with our other performances. No Spud I wasn't happy with our performance against North nor was I happy with it against Carlton. Don't know about anyone else but I was not happy.

Also how can he say that in the game against Carlton the two teams looked even on paper. Carlton are shocking and are going through a rebuilding phase. If these are the types of excuses he dribbles then I have to re-iterate - he has no idea.

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Here Here Diggler, I make it my business to read your thoughtful and well balanced comments....Frawley clearly smacks of a man with no answers the same old stuff............I look forward to next year when he is making animal balloons at kids partys....clown

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I don't know how else Danny was suppose to respond to the Carlton question. He'd sound like an idiot (Grant Thomas style) if he said we are better side than Carlton after we just lost to them plus giving them ammo for next time. He's answer was diplomatic. If Danny did say we were better than Carlton then the same 4-5 danny-bashers on this site who now criticize Danny for not saying that would criticize him for making that claim ::).

As j2r said, all clubs don't tell the media what is said behind closed doors. They give answers like politicians - saying alot without really saying anything and mostly it's all old cliches anyhow.

Glad Frawley told Sheehan that Mike's a Richmond basher ;D. Had to laugh at the line "critics have a more dispassionate view". I didn't see a "dispassionate viewpoint" when Mike, Healy and Co were crucifying Stafford after the Hawthorn game.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
The media and the footy clubs just talk *smile*.

I'm glad Danny Frawley didn't reveal the team gameplan. I think he's keeping it secret from the players as well.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Cheers Gus.

If Danny is just going to spin crap everytime he talks to the media he might as well have the donkey from Shrek as his spokesman.

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003

julzqld said:
Go on, really? . . . No. 11 (Bowden), how's he going? [/b]

Joel steps up to the plate every week. He's resilient. Yeah, look, I wish I had another couple of him. We all want to improve. Joel knows he's got some areas of improvement, but he's one player that steps up to the plate every week.

Is he accountable? no no no no no ??????

Yeah, he is. He's one of our ball-winners, one of our guys we want to get the ball in their hands. He makes the (correct decision?????? ) most of the time. We've all got strengths, we've all got weaknesses(.how true) Joel's one of our players we want to make sure can put the ball inside the forward 50 more than others.

Does he have a licence to roam free?

That changes from week to week. Did you see his job on (Adam) Simpson the week before? It was a good, even duel.

He got tagged on the weekend by (Simon) Beaumont. I thought Joel played a serviceable game. You always try to free one or two players up if you can.

Dear dear old Danny for five years now I have been to every Richmond home game and most away games played in Vic, and all I hear is our loyal surporters yell is get off the ground Bowden. After tonights game what will be the sob story for him .( he is still learning the game.) So far this year he has shown he his good trade bait.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia

zacs56 said:
surporters yell is get off the ground Bowden. After tonights game what will be the sob story for him .( he is still learning the game.) So far this year he has shown he his good trade bait.

I think thats a bit harsh! Joel is in the top ten for all our stats (also in top 3 for alot of our stats) so far this year. I am the first to admit he makes mistakes, but is far better then a hell of a lot of players on our team. I dont understand how some supporters can continuely "Bowden Bash". I doubt he will be traded at the end of the year.