Frawley sets trade agenda | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Frawley sets trade agenda

pettifer8

They're baackk!!!
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
2:02:23 PM Fri 12 September, 2003

That the Richmond players returned from their post-season footy trip in one piece is a start for coach Danny Frawley.

What shape they’re in upon returning to the club in early October after a disappointing season, will tell him something about their desire.

Frawley has told afl.com.au that the club’s physical assessment of its squad before trading begins in mid-October could have a bearing on the deals the Tigers are prepared to make.

“They’ve got a fitness test on October 3 to see where they’re at. That’ll probably tell me a little bit about a few players, where they’re at as individuals and how hungry they are.”

“We’re looking at our list, we’re looking at other players from other clubs,” Frawley told afl.com.au on Friday.

Frawley said the club’s priorities were to bolster its midfield with speed and hardness, find another prominent forward and potentially look at recruiting a young ruckman.

“We believe with Mark Coughlan and Kane Johnson now we’ve really got some hardness in the midfield. We need to complement that. We just need to add some speed and maybe another harder player in there.”

“We need another ‘go-to’ forward. I think there’s too much pressure on our forward line to produce each week, so we’ve just got to make sure we can get some class and some depth in there.”

“They’re the two areas we really need to sure up, and probably a young developing ruckman,” Frawley said.

The Tigers are not only scouring the AFL competition, but looking all over Australia for players capable of strengthening their team.

“At the moment we’re looking at all the under-18 games, seeing all the younger players, seeing their strengths and weaknesses and what we need to improve as a club.”

“We need to look at even the VFL, the SANFL, the WAFL. We’ll do an extensive review all over Australia and see what players are available to really help the Tigers get back to where they belong.”

Frawley expects there to be heightened trading speculation in the next month, but said he felt comforted by the support of Greg Miller, the club’s director of football.

“It’s a terrific thing for me as a coach to have Greg Miller for the first time in a trading period."

"He’s been through 20 of those, so he’s going to be the direct link from the club to the media, and more importantly to our members and supporters. It takes a hell of a lot of pressure off me.”

“Obviously the trading period doesn’t start until October 12, so we’ve just got to mindful of the fact that there’s going to be a lot of innuendo,” he said.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
This will be such a critical period for the club - if they make the right moves they might be able to win back some of the members they have lost.......here's hoping they can recruit some talented players that the new coach in 2005 can have something solid to work with.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Harry said:
This will be such a critical period for the club - if they make the right moves they might be able to win back some of the members they have lost.......here's hoping they can recruit some talented players that the new coach in 2005 can have something solid to work with.
If they recruit some really talented players they may not need a new coach in 2005 ------------------------------------------ SCARY isn't it.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
So what is it, hard nosed backmen or a young ruckman.

Maybe FRAWLEY is conspiring to trade STAFF to his old mate at St.Kilda or is it a Fruedian slip knowing about STAFFs indiscretion in NZ.

Just as well he didn't try to take on the Maori's hey

Tiger_clairvoyant

I'm a llama!
Aug 24, 2003
I think he said 'developing' ruckman... which I would take to mean.... we plan to get a skinny 'Paddy Steinfort' type ruckman with a 4th or 5th rounder, who won't play a game next year, if ever.
So, if that was the scenario why would we let Staff go?
Sure it'd br good for Otto to assume the number 1 ruck role and I have no probs with that. However, if he were to get injured (not that that ever happens much to him, or any other tall bloke we have for that matter) and we had traded Staff away who is going to ruck then? Vardy? Hall? Neither of them are guaranteed to be on the list next year for whatever reason. It's unlikely the developing ruckman we got in the 4th or 5th round of the draft would be thrown to the wolves...and we traded Richo and Holland remember, so good luck Otto, next year is going to be tough on you being our only bloke over 6ft 4!!

Believe it or not we might have to keep some tall blokes!
The club has admitted viaMiller that we want more talls not less, so lets see if when posting rumours or suggestions on here that we can atleast keep that in mind. If you were to add up alot of these posts regarding who will we draft or trade for etc then we would end up with a team of midgets!

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
keep the post coming, rumour, inuendo or down right fantasy.

What else do we have to keep us entertained until the trade period.

Same as last year many dream, fantasies and just plain wishful thinking will fade into nothing more than a memory.

But we need to keep the topic flowing. What does it matter if it turns out to be rubbish. If it's good oil even better

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Is on a different thread bigwow. Something like Staff likes Kiwiburgers.
Staff's been fined for decking a couple of kiwis.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Found it. Thanks. They probably deserved a belting.
Staff was probably trying to stop them assaulting an innocent sheep.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
rosy3 said:
Staff's been fined for decking a couple of kiwis.
So where was Flemwad? At least weve got Two blokes at RFC that dont mind a bit of in your face! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I took the "developing young ruckman" line to mean that Ray Hall was probably going to be offered for trade.

I think we could get a pretty good deal by trading Ray Hall to the Bombers. They wanted him last year (and we wouldn't trade him) and I think they'd want him this years as well - they need a ruckman to work with Hille

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
What does everyone think about trying to get Steven McKee back to the club?

Has proved in the past that he can be very handy as a 2nd string ruckmen and would be a handy player to have particularly if Stafford is not at Tigerland next year. He has struggled to get a game for Collingwood in the 2nd half of this year with the good form of Josh Fraser and even Tristen Walker has been used as the 2nd string ruckmen ahead of McKee.

Is still only 23 years of age so has a good 7 or 8 years still left in him.

From what I hear most of the players in the national draft this year are midfield types so there may not be many young ruckmen worth pursuing?

Obviously you wouldn't want to give up too much for him but it could be worth asking the question?

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Young Tiger said:
What does everyone think about trying to get Steven McKee back to the club?

YT - with the rules regarding ruck contests the way they are at present Steve McKee has been founding wanting - simply because 1/ he hasn't got a great leap and 2/ you cannot take the ball straight of the air - if you do and hold it for more than a few seconds you get pinged. McKee isn't the only ruckman that has been disadvantaged - look at Primus he has struggled with it as well. Mick Malthouse has basically said that the rule as it stands with curtail McKee's career.

There is talk they will changing the rule again next season - hopefully for a player like Steve McKee that will happen and give him a opportunity to continue his career. If however they don't change the rule - I can't see much value in having him

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Koalalill said:
I took the "developing young ruckman" line to mean that Ray Hall was probably going to be offered for trade.
I would have thought that we could have tried using Hall as a key back man. Gas wont be back till near mid season and with Bash Holland being in everyones *smile* book we desperately need a mobile key defender

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Chelle said:
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
2:02:23 PM Fri 12 September, 2003

“Obviously the trading period doesn’t start until October 12, so we’ve just got to mindful of the fact that there’s going to be a lot of innuendo,” he said.

"Innuendo" - isn't that an Italian suppository???

Saw the adds for the "Wizard of OZ" during the week and noted Dorothy saying to the Tin Man:
"But if you haven't got a brain, how can you talk"?

I would love a commentator to ask Danny the same question in the post game press conference!

As for trading Hall - there's a reason Essendon want him!

It's because with the right development he could and will be anything!

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Frick,

I read your posts with interest and from them I believe that you have a good understanding of the game and of our list.

What would you do if you were Greg Miller?

Who would you delist and which players would you be targetting?

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
My source tells me that it is unlikely that Hall will be traded. Their view is that he is very hard for opposition teams to match up on and he is always hard at it. Remember he has played fewer than 50 games and only turns 23 next month. His year this year has been ruined with injury.

On another point, look at Ottens to develop as a forward and sometime ruckman and us to look for another first ruck. The coaching staff don't rate Ottens at centre bounces against physical ruckmen.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Thanks for the vote of confidence YT!

I'd delist Pettifer and replace with someone with more balls - probably Dorothy!

Delist Houlihan and replace with someone that has more courage - That would be either the Lion or the Scarecrow (have to dust up on my Wizard of OZ knowledge)!

Change the coach for the Tin Man who at least KNOWS he has no brain!

Add the wicked witch from the west simply because we need more wickedness!!

As for Greg Miller - with what we are hearing right now, if i was him i'd move because he's making me want to drop the house right where he's standing! ;D

Seriously YT, i put what i'd do in a previous post. You'll find it (for what it's worth) on the second page of this post:
RE: Does anyone have any real hope about 2004?

I think you'll find that post about 3 pages back in Tiger Talk!

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
The Mole said:
On another point, look at Ottens to develop as a forward and sometime ruckman and us to look for another first ruck. The coaching staff don't rate Ottens at centre bounces against physical ruckmen.

That's interesting because i remember that query coming up very early in Otto's career - not that i really subscribe to it.

This year Otto has very often avoided physical contact at the centre bounce, however it often allowed him to win possession uncontested while the other ruckman flew past - missing the ball completely.

Ruckmen try to stick their knee on their opponents hip to gain extra lift. It also holds their opponent down. It's the same principle as a player that goes for a big hanger and then gets extra boost when they land on the shoulders of a player that is also in the process of jumping.

By avoiding contact like this, the opponent doesn't get that extra lift OR hang time in the air! Without either of these, their jump os completely mis-timed and they get nowhere near the ball. Otto, steps around them and gains a clean possession out of the ruck.

With the new rules in place, getting the knee in has become very important. I think Otto's strategy is quite clever.

Short of being because of a lack of courage, i think his ruck work has shown an abbundance of brains!

However, you are probably right! The coaching staff would think he does it to avoid physical contact with physical opponents!

Such is their abbundance of brains!