Frawley vows to swing the axe | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Frawley vows to swing the axe

P

PuntRoadRoar

Frawley vows to swing the axe
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
12:34:44 AM Sat 7 June, 2003

Richmond coach Danny Frawley says he will drop up to five players from the team that lost narrowly to the Kangaroos on Friday night, after his club lost its third consecutive match.

A clearly disappointed Frawley refused to single out players, but said four or five players were currently “being carried” by the side.

“You can’t continually win games of football when you’ve got three, four, maybe five players not putting their hand up and making contributions for their teammates. I’m not going to mention names.

“There’s probably four or five players in our side that we’re carrying at the moment. It’ll give an opportunity to give maybe one or two players from the VFL when they’re fit,” Frawley said after his side’s three-point loss.

“The Kangaroos were too good. They won the game, all credit goes to them, they’ve jumped on top of us on the ladder and we’ve lost three in a row now. We’re disappointed where we’ve been over the last three weeks and we did a hell of a lot of good work early, and we’ve let it go to be 6-5 at the halfway mark and there’s still 11 games to go.

Sydney beat the Tigers by 32 points at the MCG last week, and West Coast dished out a 52-point beating to the side at Subiaco Oval in round nine.

After making such a promising start to the 2003 season - winning six of its first eight matches - Richmond’s recent slump gives the club a 6-5 win-loss ratio at the season’s middle point.

The Tigers meet Carlton before the bye round, but then face a difficult fortnight on the road with matches against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba and Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

Frawley was pleased by the return of big man Brad Ottens, who had serious back surgery before the home-and-away series began. Ottens spent the first 20 minutes of the first and second quarters on the bench, but later played an important role for his club up forward. He finished with four marks and two goals in his 100th senior match.

“Brad was a little bit scratchy early, but as the game wore on he got better and better, so that’s a real positive.”

Frawley also praised the toughness of his team on Friday night.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Let me swing the axe for you spud:

King - thanks for the memories (mostly bad)
Replacement: Hyde

Hall - Have a month in the reserves to think about what it means to earn a spot in the side
Replacement: Vardy

Hilton - hasn't been the same since Coughlan wrote that article about him. Come on Hilts, it was only a joke.
Replacement: Schulz

Fiora - injured, ommitted, what's the difference
Replacement: Biddiscombe

Gaspar - Tragic
Replacement: Holland

On notice: Cameron, Rodan, Houlihan, Fleming

Cambo and Blumfield will replace two of these four if they put in another shocker.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
agrees on king. DELIST
hilton i agree totally.while most of the blame will be put on rodan and staff for their last qtr stuff up,s i remember in the 1st qtr while the ball was in dispute hilton ran over the ball ended up a goal.this bloke is a lost cause atm.TRADE
fiora,s vision in not seeing jono 20mtrs out in front of goal was inexcusable.instead he had a shot on a near impossible angle.besides his kicking is not up to scratch from a player who went so high in the draft.TRADE

i honestly cant remeber when the last time hall took a contested overhead mark.COBURG/IF NO FORM=TRADE

someone tell fleming to kick thru the dam ball when having a shot.

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
The first axe he should swing is himself....and those around him

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Bring this post back on thursday night. He has said it all before and done nothing. Frawley's talk is cheap.

Make a statement and Capuano, King, he is a *smile* waste of space.

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Here here Diggler your comment are both refreshing and enlighting, I couldn't agree more its time to swing the axe but we know what will happen he will calm down by Thursday and take the easy option......whats the point swinging the axe and bringing in duds like biddescombe

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Agree with Diggler. Frawely is only saying what the richmond people want to hear at the moment. Come Thursday he will only replace the injured players and the underperforming duds will keep their spot. He won't give the untried kids a go.

Hilton and Hall at the moment would struggle to get a kick at coburg.

King - its amusing that he's even on our list to begin with

Rogers - well done to keep Harvey to 26 effective possessions. Correct me if i'm wrong but is rogers in our side for tagging roles?

Houlihan - Kicked a couple of goals which would be enough to keep his spot - otherwise he can go to coburg also.

Fleming - go back to carlton reserves.

Fiora - injured/demoted - as long as he's not in the team.

Another thing - can we get our better players into the midfield, such as Newman and Chaffey. Coughlan and Johnson need all the help they can get ATM.

Richo - probably one of our better players on the night but IMO our biggest liability on the night. Players with the ball only had eyes for richo and as such we couldn't get other players into the game.

PS. As much as I rate Campbell, unfortunately he won't be the saviour considering the ugly, scragging, unimaginative, grinding, static, one dimensional game plan frawely has installed, and considering we've got so many passangers.

At least we can use Gaspars injury as an excuse for the remainder of the season. ;D

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Harry said:
PS. As much as I rate Campbell, unfortunately he won't be the saviour considering the ugly, scragging, unimaginative, grinding, static, one dimensional game plan frawely has installed, and considering we've got so many passangers.

The only thing that can save us Harry is a bit of imagination and risk taking. And until we do this, then I don't really think it will matter who is in or not.

It's not like we lack scoring options or opportunities. We just aren't attacking enough.

And we're even less prepared to take risks and take teams on. I looked at the performance of St. Kilda and the Bulldogs on the weekend and thought about how we approach such challenges. On the back foot, that's how.

It's galling to watch and frustrating to experience.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
JohnF,

I agree with all your points except on Rodan and Fleming.

Rodan was trying to do something, unlike others who take a mark, wander back, a take half an hour to kick the ball. I just hope that he doesn't get too scared to take blokes on and take risks. I wonder why Houlihan didn't bother to shepard???

Fleming had a huge crack at it all night. His physicality at contests was what kept us in the game in the 3rd. While he is not the best, he is far from the worst.

Looking at injuries to VFL players, we don't have much to choose from. Ins would be Holland, Pettifer maybe Vardy/Draga or Dunc.

Outs would be Gas, Hilton, Fiora, Hall and poss Johnson from injury.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
(Bring this post back on thursday night. He has said it all before and done nothing. Frawley's talk is cheap.)

Say no more. Frawley thinks all Richmond supporters cant remember what was said a week ago because their brain cells have been fried by alcohol.

Time to vote Spud the Dud out of the house.

Dial 1300 69 69 69, with the message Capuano!

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
Here Here Diggler I vote Ben the slob cpper from big brother he will tell a few of those nancy boys what needs to be said

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
"Danny Frawely - you have 11 more games to vacate the premises. 11, 10, 9, 8............................" ;D

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Keep it going my fellow supporters!!! Lets get rid of that dud for once and for all!!!!!

Gee he surprised on the selection table again!!!! Fancy pettifer and biddiscombe coming in!!!!! Would never had picked that one!!! Hes just too good!!!

We thought sheedy plays mind games??????