georgia and mother russia | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

georgia and mother russia

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
just interested in what you guys think of whats happening in this former soviet republic.is it a case of blatant russian interference or is liquid gold lurking behind the scenes here

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Neither side has covered themselves with glory. Russia has fuelled problems with inflammatory actions such as giving Russian passports to Georgian Southern Ossetians. Georgia brought intervention on themselves by shelling Southern Osssetian towns, killing and injuring many civilians. Of course the oil pipelines across Georgia providing Europe with an alternative to Russian oil is a big motivator.

Of course the disturbing spectre of US geopolitical strategy also seems to be muddying the waters, with the arming and training of the Georgian army. Along with this, we have the US building a missile shield solo in Poland, with the Russian reaction being that it makes Poland a potential nuclear target. Scary times.

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
Also I read that the other breakaway state in georgia,Abkhazia(sp?) has a government that is made of former Soviet generals and KGB men......Sounds like a true puppet state.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
The boom in oil and metals prices has been very good for Russia and it's economy.

After being a shambles and shamed for a decade or so, watch for it to start re-asserting itself in international politics.

This is just a start to the friction it'll cause ahead.The new cold war is begining in my view.

S.D.

Its Business Time!!!!!!!!!
Sep 24, 2004
I suspect the Georgians are quite disillusioned with the west. Their pro-western stance (I read they have the third highest troop numbers in Iraq after USA and GB) has amounted to *smile* all support.

evo said:
The boom in oil and metals prices has been very good for Russia and it's economy.

After being a shambles and shamed for a decade or so, watch for it to start re-asserting itself in international politics.

This is just a start to the friction it'll cause ahead.The new cold war is begining in my view.

Yes, it seems the Russians may have started to grow balls again. Worrying signs.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
mld said:
Of course the oil pipelines across Georgia providing Europe with an alternative to Russian oil is a big motivator.

Of course the disturbing spectre of US geopolitical strategy also seems to be muddying the waters, with the arming and training of the Georgian army.

I said on numerous threads about the US involvement in Iraq was due to oil....and to protect this region from the gaining strength of Iran and their newly developed nuclear capability from taking over vital oil areas in this region, as well as preventing Iranian and Iranian-backed terrorists from holding the Western economy to ransom.
My posts caused a lot of division on this forum...but what is happening in Georgia is just an extension of this.

Here we have a county just north of Iran...bordering Turkey..and bordering Russia.
Vital for oil/gas pipelines as well as helping encircle and cut off supply between Russia and Iran.

It is all part of the master plan. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

barty boy

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 16, 2006
Liverpool is it a battle to protect our oil from the likes of Iran or is the battle on a grander scale,namely that betweel old foes USA and Russia,and both those countries wish to control oil

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
barty boy said:
Liverpool is it a battle to protect our oil from the likes of Iran or is the battle on a grander scale,namely that betweel old foes USA and Russia,and both those countries wish to control oil

Both!

Western economy runs on oil....and the US is at the forefront of this economy.
They want to protect their/our standing in the world.....and for our sake, we should be grateful for that....not moaning about it.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
barty boy said:
I very much doubt the Russian bear will alow US influence in its region...

Thats my take on this. Watch Ukraine next. The only other of the former Soviet republics that has gone hard towards open democracy.

Seems Russia may have issues with liberal democracies on their borders, not that they are an autocracy of course.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Legends of 1980 said:
A major power invading a smaller nation. Where are all the protests? ???

Wrong flag mate.

Only the stars and stripes brings out the moronic protesters.

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Liverpool said:
Wrong flag mate.

Only the stars and stripes brings out the moronic protesters.

It didn't help unfortunately that the Georgians were first to send their boys in.

That being said, its clear the Russians had been looking for an excuse for some time now (how many times have they turned off the gas in recent years, giving russian passports to Georgian citizens in the disputed regions).

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
It didn't help unfortunately that the Georgians were first to send their boys in.

That being said, its clear the Russians had been looking for an excuse for some time now (how many times have they turned off the gas in recent years, giving russian passports to Georgian citizens in the disputed regions).

I might have misread something, but isn't/wasn't the region part of Georgia anyway?

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Legends of 1980 said:
I might have misread something, but isn't/wasn't the region part of Georgia anyway?

this is where is gets messy.

historically the issue is under debate. The Russians claim the areas were traditionally Russian, they just fell under Georgian borders during the Soviet era.

My understanding (and I'm not fully up on this, just reading the papers) is that the areas have been legally still under Georgian sovereignty, but because the locals were arguing for independance, Russian peacekeepers have been stationed there to effectively have a state of detente (something both sides were reluctantly supporting). There has been niggly agro between the two since the last presidential election, but just before the Olympics the Georgians moved in opening fire on the disputed zones. The Russians then responded in kind, pretty much taking control of much of Georgia.

Personally I think the Russians have been stirring for the fight, but the Georgians were never in a position to win this one by force. They probably thought the US support they have would ensure their protection, but this never eventuated.