Goal Kicking Options | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goal Kicking Options

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
I'll try at posting something constructive rather than some of the dribble we have been squabbling about this week (me included) and no offence to anyone that may take this personally, because some of us are a bit touchy this week after the last few weeks.

How can we kick some more goals??

Options

1. Otto is back and can now fill the hole behind Richo. Otto could swap with Staff in the ruck once he's match fitter. Richo has been pretty good running around like the wild colt that he is, but then we have had no-one further up the field as a target save for Staff when he has been resting.

2. Send Richo back closer to the goal square and have Otto out at CHF.

3. Give Krak some more support up forward around these taller fellows feet. I think Rodan does his best work in the pocket area. Krak works hard to keep the ball in the forward line, but needs some help and a fellow goal sneak to also feed off his quick hands.

4. Find some HF flankers that can kick their 2 or 3 goals per game. Other than Houlihan on occassions we haven't got enough out of this area. Rogers perhaps, did his best work there a few seasons ago. We need some marking HF flanker's especially in behind Richo.

5. Getting the mid-field dept and backline to kick their few. Zantuck/Newman and Chaff bob up now and again, but other than Cambo the rest of the midfield haven't given us much in this dept. We need running goals from these guys.

6. Despite heavy criticism from some I think Vardy still has some value as a one or two goal forward off the bench on occassions. Just gives us another tall option in the forward line and it seems he knows how to kick reasonably straight. Yep, not a matchwinner but a contributor.

7. I can't think of anymore scenario's at the moment. Any ideas people??

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
I'd just put Otto in the goalsquare and leave him there for a few weeks. He's big, and will take a good defender to stop him, plus it limits his workload.

RIcho can play at CHF, just let him run wherever he wants.

Krakouer and Rodan in the two pockets at Otto's feet.

The other guy i'd have up forward is Bowden, about 30 metres out, in between full forward and CHF, floating around the 50 metre zone.

With Richo, Bowden and Otto in a line, and Rodan and Krakouer each having a pocket and flank to run in, we should be able to have some space to lead into.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Either put Richo in the goal square or forget about him as a main goal option.
In the goal square he is often double tagged and can't run off. He usually gets frustrated and isn't much use to anyone then imo.
I prefer Richo on the HHF so he can run around and take advantage of his pace and agility.
The team need to learn to play with Richo as just another player out there, not the "main" player they have to go to.
I think we need a more traditional CHF as well, not sure who. We fall away there a lot this year imo.
I think Royce is a good option for the team, and still live in hope he'll make the grade.
I was amazed the Sydney game when Krak and Rodo were on the bench together.
Both are capable of creating something out of nothing and sparking the team.
I'd prefer at least one of them in the forward line all the time.

Warpig

Tiger Cub
Jun 9, 2003
Queensland
Richo seems to be at his most dominant when roaming around the 50m line to the wings, so let him loose.

Stick Otto in the square and alternate with Stafford.

Also play Vardy at CHF with crumbers at his feet (Krak & Rodan). Vardy always provides a contest and will bring the ball to ground.

No more than 5 in the fwd line should create the space needed for Krak & Rodan to make fast leads.

Also have Tivvers & Bowden playing about 70 out from goal to gather the quick defensive kick from the opposition and pump it straight back in - a long way.

Hall should stay almost exclusively in the centre square to provide a tall target from defence with Fiora, Johnson & Coughlan waiting to run past, and this will make the opposition run the ball down the flanks.

If we do this we will win by 10 goals!!!!! (right now I'd be happy with winning by 1 goal)

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Fast transition from half back is the key to any forward structure working. Without that in modern footy you could have Ablett, Dunstall and Royce Hart up there and you'd struggle to score. We have been too slow and indirect in the past few weeks.
One of the main culprits is Richo himself. How many times have you seen him take a grab outside 50, pretend to hesitate 3 times then roost it at goal, hook it and score a behind or out of bounds? Sound familiar? Richo - get back to giving the ball off by hand or foot QUICKLY - the way you were early in the season. Don't think, DO.

P

PuntRoadRoar

wow so cool, all the forward coach experts..... sensational ideas guys.. lets send em to frawley

maybe i can join in.....

lets do something really different and call it frawleys paddock, everyone play outside 50 except richo richo leads and marks, the have krak a jack run past richo HANDBALLS and the krakAAAAAAA
goals

sounds like fun

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Get rid of Frawely and get a coach that knows how to implement an attacking game style/plan. ;D

P

PuntRoadRoar

hehehe your so harsh harry,

if we dump frawley then who will really want to coach us because of our history with coaches, we will end up with crusty the clown !!

::)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Dean3 said:
Fast transition from half back is the key to any forward structure working. Without that in modern footy you could have Ablett, Dunstall and Royce Hart up there and you'd struggle to score. We have been too slow and indirect in the past few weeks.

Agree Deano. As well as fast transition add to that multiple options to kick to (including dobbing goals crossing 50 on the run) and you will stretch most defences and rack up 100+ scores.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I'm sure we'll find someone - Wallace and Eade are the obvious ones. If not Lambert is another - the assistant of the back to back premiers and a former tiger great would be a great choice. I'm sure Lambert would love to come home. If Lamberts not up to people standards then let me remind them that approx. 4 years ago we recruited the assistant of the wooden spooners - the apprentice of the complete fool Tony Shaw. ;D

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
give up on teh idea of sacking Spud. It aint going to happen nor should it happen. Jsut deal with it boys, he aint that bad. WE had the game plan suggested earlier in the year of running and having multiple options and it worked. All it takes is for the boys to play that way again. I dont think Frawley has changed a winning style somehow.