Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Geez I’m glad Kokrak beat Spieth this week. Besides the fact Spieth played terrible and didn’t deserve to win on performance anyway, yet again he did his usual arsey-tinny thing by spraying it everywhere off the tee and getting lucky bounces and lies. Not once but three times he totally sprayed it way off line into the trees only for the ball to ricochet back out onto the fairway or onto the edge of it.

Great short game. But never seen a PGA Tour pro hit it so wide off the tee so often and get so many breaks. Would be infuriating to play with/against.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Geez I’m glad Kokrak beat Spieth this week. Besides the fact Spieth played terrible and didn’t deserve to win on performance anyway, yet again he did his usual arsey-tinny thing by spraying it everywhere off the tee and getting lucky bounces and lies. Not once but three times he totally sprayed it way off line into the trees only for the ball to ricochet back out onto the fairway or onto the edge of it.

Great short game. But never seen a PGA Tour pro hit it so wide off the tee so often and get so many breaks. Would be infuriating to play with/against.
I like him cause he gives sprayers like me hope. Just need to spend 4 hours a day on my short game. I'm amazed he keeps it together all the time and has the moxie to still make plays.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Nothing changed my golf game like accepting the biggest impact on my scores was how many I had within 100 metres.

As soon as I started to put 90% of my time into that, I started having 10 shots less each round.

And putting (not sure if you are including putting in that). Most players off around 24 ish or higher are usually poor putters. A young guy at work regularly shoots around 96-100, he would 3 putt at least 6 greens and sometimes 4 putt. He simply doesn't get his feet lined up. He hates taking advice though. He should be shooting around 90 if he got his putting sorted.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I like him cause he gives sprayers like me hope. Just need to spend 4 hours a day on my short game. I'm amazed he keeps it together all the time and has the moxie to still make plays.
Yeah I don’t mind him as a person - no problems there - and his short game is outrageous. And if he plays a great recovery shot from difficulty off the tee, again, no problem.

But he gets so many breaks off the tee and doesn’t pay the price, or isn’t forced to play a recovery, it just sh$ts me.

He gets a lot of great breaks from crap shots off the tee with his woods.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
bloody COVID , have a nice new Ping G 425 LST sitting in my golf bag ready to be launched .

Funny golfer Speith, hits Shots a 12 marker would be unhappy with, however as you’ve all said his freaky from inside 100, definitely the best 20 plus ft putter I’ve seen , definitely has some ass about his game . Am I right that he pretty much had the yips a couple years back ?

Mr B has become Mr Ping

C15980D3-0A64-4200-B29A-016BCFA3ADDD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
bloody COVID , have a nice new Ping G 425 LST sitting in my golf bag ready to be launched .

Funny golfer Speith, hits Shots a 12 marker would be unhappy with, however as you’ve all said his freaky from inside 100, definitely the best 20 plus ft putter I’ve seen , definitely has some ass about his game . Am I right that he pretty much had the yips a couple years back ?

Mr B has become Mr Ping

View attachment 12492
Clearly photo rotation has no meaning to you. No wonder you can’t line yourself up properly on the course.

• Haha

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Yeah putting as well. I was always solid at that but I took the Phil Mickelson advice to get rock solid from 6 feet to take the pressure off your short game.

I estimate I used to be a 2-3/10 in two shots from anything inside 100 metres when I was a 10 handicapper, now I'd be closer to 6-7/10.

Amazing how it turns bad drives into pars and good drives into birdies.
That's impressive. Need time to practice the short game. I was OK as a kid but chipping has gone to the dogs since I stopped playing regularly. Received a good tip from a pommy pro at Box Hill that works, just need to get time to practice.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Clearly photo rotation has no meaning to you. No wonder you can’t line yourself up properly on the course.
It has a mind of its own, very similar to my 30yard pitches.

For stats on short game importance have look at Dave Pelz stuff

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It has a mind of its own, very similar to my 30yard pitches.

For stats on short game importance have look at Dave Pelz stuff
Yeah I have both of Pelz’s books at home.

Key take outs:
- Ball breaks more going uphill than downhill
- Leave the pin in !
- Pendulum motion. Like in a clock. No arc.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
That's a huge one for me now as well.

I never have the pin out for any putt now, it helps judge distance on long ones using peripheral vision over the ball and on short putts you are aiming at the flag so the margin for error is much bigger.
Chatting to a scratch golfer mate the other day, he believes it’s a big advantage having the pin in

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Yeah I have both of Pelz’s books at home.

Key take outs:
- Ball breaks more going uphill than downhill
- Leave the pin in !
- Pendulum motion. Like in a clock. No arc.
Do either of those books have the PGA stats he studied for years? I.e that basically the top 100 players don’t have much difference in how close they hit a 4 iron, however the 100 metre shot really separates the top 50. I think he came up with a surprising putting stat that had tour players missing a huge number of putts inside 6 ft

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Do either of those books have the PGA stats he studied for years? I.e that basically the top 100 players don’t have much difference in how close they hit a 4 iron, however the 100 metre shot really separates the top 50. I think he came up with a surprising putting stat that had tour players missing a huge number of putts inside 6 ft
From memory I think so. He had all sorts of stats in the books.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Looks like I’ll be testing out my new Ping Friday, I think me ol golfing buddy Dan must have heard I wanted to get on the course

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
“If you don’t mind...”

Classic.

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
BDC = preppy, old money, whiney wanker. Never plays a bad shot. Always something or someone else’s fault.

Koepka = surly bogan who can barely raise a smile at anything.

Red or black on the roulette wheel of ego and unlikeability.
i actually really like bdc-refreshingly different..cant believe ur not interested in a technique that easily won the u.s. open
his single length irons have prolonged my playing...the minimalizing of movements makes a lot of sense
more personable than u think..shares his stuff online ..*smile* brooks
w long driving meets the pga tour

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
i actually really like bdc-refreshingly different..cant believe ur not interested in a technique that easily won the u.s. open
his single length irons have prolonged my playing...the minimalizing of movements makes a lot of sense
more personable than u think..shares his stuff online ..*smile* brooks
w long driving meets the pga tour
I like his golf, (apart from his pitching which is terrible because of all his standard shaft lengths). l just don’t like him.

Note: he’s also a serial slow player offender on Tour.