Golf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Golf

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It's a good watch, because he is such a compelling, tragic, figure. Yeah, he won a lot. But he should have won more of the ones that really matter.
Just watched the Shark doco. Brutal watching him viewing film of 96. But geez you gotta admire his sportsmanship- and he ultimately takes responsibility for his losses.

Forget how good he was in 86. 11 wins from 27 starts. As he says if he won 2 of the 4 majors he might be remembered differently.

Rory got a lot of work to do to match the shark.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Koepka joins LIV.
Yep. He’s out. Ancer too I believe.

Koepka and De Chumpo are huge blows to Da Tour. Cantalay made a comment that makes me think he might be off soon too.

LIV now has 8 of the top 50 players in the world.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Just watched the Shark doco. Brutal watching him viewing film of 96. But geez you gotta admire his sportsmanship- and he ultimately takes responsibility for his losses.

Forget how good he was in 86. 11 wins from 27 starts. As he says if he won 2 of the 4 majors he might be remembered differently.

Rory got a lot of work to do to match the shark.
I don't forget how good he was in 86. But he didn't win 2 of the 4 majors. At the US Open he led by a shot going into the last round, shot 5 over and lost by 6. At the Masters he needed to par the last to force a playoff and bogeyed it. At the PGA he led by 4 on Saturday night and shot 5 over to lose by 2. Payne Stewart (+1) was the only other player in the top 10 to shoot over par for the last round.

If he had won 2 of 4 he would be remembered differently. But he didn't. He was incredibly good, the most exciting golfer between Nicklaus and Tiger. But he had a fatal flaw and he never addressed it, otherwise he would have won the majors his game deserved.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I don't forget how good he was in 86. But he didn't win 2 of the 4 majors. At the US Open he led by a shot going into the last round, shot 5 over and lost by 6. At the Masters he needed to par the last to force a playoff and bogeyed it. At the PGA he led by 4 on Saturday night and shot 5 over to lose by 2. Payne Stewart (+1) was the only other player in the top 10 to shoot over par for the last round.

If he had won 2 of 4 he would be remembered differently. But he didn't. He was incredibly good, the most exciting golfer between Nicklaus and Tiger. But he had a fatal flaw and he never addressed it, otherwise he would have won the majors his game deserved.
I like the fact he owned his losses. Ultimately he didn't blame anyone else.

Still rate him as a better golfer than the likes of Faldo & Rory. His overall record is much better on every measure except "majors".

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Nick Faldo as well I reckon. Jim Nantz will be shattered.

Still strong whispers that Hovland, Morikawa and Scheffele will jump, Jordan looks to have bought HV3 out.
Just watched a Faldo interview from yesterday about his retirement, no approach to him at that stage by LIV. He wants to do other things, a 6 months schedule does not suit him.

Almost a guarantee LIV will approach him (personally think he's the best of them all) and I would imagine he would accept especially if the $$ are great and it fits in with his lifestyle.

He is still hoping to be calling the majors on CBS.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I like the fact he owned his losses. Ultimately he didn't blame anyone else.

Still rate him as a better golfer than the likes of Faldo & Rory. His overall record is much better on every measure except "majors".
I rate him as better than those two as well, except in majors. I don't think he fully owns his losses, but who cares what I think. A fatally flawed, tragic, compelling, exciting, fragile, resilient, enigmatic force of nature who won more than 99% of golfers.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I rate him as better than those two as well, except in majors. I don't think he fully owns his losses, but who cares what I think. A fatally flawed, tragic, compelling, exciting, fragile, resilient, enigmatic force of nature who won more than 99% of golfers.
Reckon you nailed him there! Complex but quite simple too. Smart but dumb.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Faldo is onto his 4th wife, each break-up caused by an affair it appears! Imagine they have diluted his wealth so he might be attracted by the LIV cash.

• Haha

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Golf is my favourite game to play, always has been. Since playing early Sat mornings with my dad and various locals, learning the etiquette of the game and the inherent integrity required to play the game correctly. It's a game that is almost purely individual but also social. It's a game that connects people from all walks of life. And its a game you can play from 9 to 90. The club I played all my junior golf at was a riverina course and I loved everything about the club. Almost to a man everyone would come into the clubhouse for one round of drinks after their game. Guys generally played with different people each week - some liked to stick to the same 4 but often you got to play with all sorts. The club had a great atmosphere. Presentations were always fun, everyone had a nickname and there was stacks of laughter (generally the more drinks the greater the laughter). Most groups involved chucking the balls up on the first tee and pairing off into teams and playing $1/$1/$1. The bigger gamblers went $10/$10/$10. Heaps of guys bet a $1 or $2 on their rounds score and after rounds guys would get change from the bar and walk around paying their debt or collecting their winnings. The club was thriving, it had paid greenkeeping staff, a Pro and a stocked pro shop. The pro was your typical golf pro, loved a laugh/beer and he doubled as the frontman to a local band. He was a bit of a pantsman I found out later. He actually went to the UK and tried to qualify for the BO one year (shot a couple of 90's IIRC in a pre-qual tournament). As kids we would all end up on the practice green after rounds having all manner of putting comps whilst the dads had a few beers. There was no drink driving really in those early days so many ended up staying for a couple of rounds. We played every Saturday without fail and often played Sundays as well. I always wanted to win a club championship but never did, a couple of runner-ups as close as I got. I did get on the board a couple of times though.
Went back about 7 years ago and it had all changed, not nearly as many members, volunteers ran the course maintenance and also the pro shop.

I wonder if the experience was the same for guys who grew up playing city courses. Did they have great club atmospheres? Do they still have great club atmospheres now where you know a lot of members and get to play with different guys each week? Do people hang around after games or poeople play and go?

I'm looking to join a course in a few years when kids are older, and living on the Peninsula I'm spoilt for choice. Any recommendations of a club that has a great membership base and clunb atmosphere?

Reactions: 4 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Golf is my favourite game to play, always has been. Since playing early Sat mornings with my dad and various locals, learning the etiquette of the game and the inherent integrity required to play the game correctly. It's a game that is almost purely individual but also social. It's a game that connects people from all walks of life. And its a game you can play from 9 to 90. The club I played all my junior golf at was a riverina course and I loved everything about the club. Almost to a man everyone would come into the clubhouse for one round of drinks after their game. Guys generally played with different people each week - some liked to stick to the same 4 but often you got to play with all sorts. The club had a great atmosphere. Presentations were always fun, everyone had a nickname and there was stacks of laughter (generally the more drinks the greater the laughter). Most groups involved chucking the balls up on the first tee and pairing off into teams and playing $1/$1/$1. The bigger gamblers went $10/$10/$10. Heaps of guys bet a $1 or $2 on their rounds score and after rounds guys would get change from the bar and walk around paying their debt or collecting their winnings. The club was thriving, it had paid greenkeeping staff, a Pro and a stocked pro shop. The pro was your typical golf pro, loved a laugh/beer and he doubled as the frontman to a local band. He was a bit of a pantsman I found out later. He actually went to the UK and tried to qualify for the BO one year (shot a couple of 90's IIRC in a pre-qual tournament). As kids we would all end up on the practice green after rounds having all manner of putting comps whilst the dads had a few beers. There was no drink driving really in those early days so many ended up staying for a couple of rounds. We played every Saturday without fail and often played Sundays as well. I always wanted to win a club championship but never did, a couple of runner-ups as close as I got. I did get on the board a couple of times though.
Went back about 7 years ago and it had all changed, not nearly as many members, volunteers ran the course maintenance and also the pro shop.

I wonder if the experience was the same for guys who grew up playing city courses. Did they have great club atmospheres? Do they still have great club atmospheres now where you know a lot of members and get to play with different guys each week? Do people hang around after games or poeople play and go?

I'm looking to join a course in a few years when kids are older, and living on the Peninsula I'm spoilt for choice. Any recommendations of a club that has a great membership base and clunb atmosphere?

Now there's a walk down memory lane MD, my junior career mirrors yours.

I grew up in the bush and experienced much the same. My home town was a golf/bowls club, so the clubhouse was jumping on Saturday arvo's. The local sargeant was a bowler, he drank and drove, so everyone followed his lead.

Us juniors would also be out on the practice green, or pumping 20c pieces into the pool table post round.

Bar manager, nicknamed Irish, would put a large esky out each Saturday. Strategically positioned between the 9th green and 10th tee, blokes grabbed their beverages of choice and paid back at the clubhouse afterwards using the honour system. You could always tell who was having a good round and who wasn't judging by their choice of drink. Beer was a sign things weren't going to plan.

Good times, great memories.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Faldo is onto his 4th wife, each break-up caused by an affair it appears! Imagine they have diluted his wealth so he might be attracted by the LIV cash.
Married 4 times !!

Says that he's not, but you can take it to the bank that Faldo is going to LIV, because he probably told each wife that he was rooten around.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

Pretty much described my experiences as well. Same sort of club growing up, went back a few years ago and now everyone plays at whatever time they like, no draws for groups or set time to play so people are out and done before lunch and there is no-one in the clubhouse. Everyone seems to have a cart now as well which are horrendously anti-social I find.

I play all around the Peninsula but find very little soul in any of them unfortunately.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Pretty much described my experiences as well. Same sort of club growing up, went back a few years ago and now everyone plays at whatever time they like, no draws for groups or set time to play so people are out and done before lunch and there is no-one in the clubhouse. Everyone seems to have a cart now as well which are horrendously anti-social I find.

I play all around the Peninsula but find very little soul in any of them unfortunately.
I suppose lifestyles have changed, my dad worked, mum didn't (raised 4 kids, did all the driving to sports, parties, sleepovers etc etc) and he basically did what he wanted on weekends - which included early Sat morning tee off with me and my younger brother as we got to about 11/12, staying at golf club for a few beers, putting his tips in at various pub tipping comps in town, putting his bets on at the TAB on way thorugh town back home, having a beer in about 4 pubs on way home as we sat in car eating chips and drinking soft drinks waiting for him. We'd get home mid-afternoon, he'd get the trannie on and we'd listen to the races and footy as we mowed lawn/gardened or played backyward cricket (summer) or screamers (winter).

I suppose people don't have time nowadays, but also if I did what my dad did I'd be divorced in 6 months.

I'll probably end up joining the National ($$$ permitting) as its such a great facility, not necessarily for the social aspect.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017

We should have a game and discuss umpiring decisions on the way around!

• Haha
  • Wow

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

I’m told Rosebud has a very good club feel , I know a club down that way that has zero club atmosphere

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane

Good point regarding carts TBR, they don’t promote good social interaction in any way shape or form.

My club didn’t have, and still doesn’t have carts. As a young fella I loved walking with and talking to the adults. Learnt a few new terms from the English language too, none that will ever appear in any dictionary.

Sad to say I pretty much only cart it these days. Interestingly I played at Royal Queensland about 12 months ago, Brisbane’s premier private club. Not a cart to be seen on the course even though they are available. Was surprised at that.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I suppose lifestyles have changed, my dad worked, mum didn't (raised 4 kids, did all the driving to sports, parties, sleepovers etc etc) and he basically did what he wanted on weekends - which included early Sat morning tee off with me and my younger brother as we got to about 11/12, staying at golf club for a few beers, putting his tips in at various pub tipping comps in town, putting his bets on at the TAB on way thorugh town back home, having a beer in about 4 pubs on way home as we sat in car eating chips and drinking soft drinks waiting for him. We'd get home mid-afternoon, he'd get the trannie on and we'd listen to the races and footy as we mowed lawn/gardened or played backyward cricket (summer) or screamers (winter).

I suppose people don't have time nowadays, but also if I did what my dad did I'd be divorced in 6 months.

I'll probably end up joining the National ($$$ permitting) as its such a great facility, not necessarily for the social aspect.
Great post that.