Greg Beck on Sport 927 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Greg Beck on Sport 927

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Interesting to hear Greg last night.

He is clearly still trying to convince all concerned that Fiora will be a star midfielder and he was we were looking for at the time??? The irony is that Pavlich is a very good midfielder and not the key position player he started out as. Now if Aaron was taking some steps to become this start midfielder - even small steps - we would be happy, but so far nothing :'(

He clearly overrates Pettifer saying he was exactly what the club needed - a 6 foot goalkicking midfielder ??? Was he reffering to the same Kayne Pettifer. When pressed on why we didn't go with Daniel Kerr who went 5 picks later he responded "he is a rover"...WTF..the kid is a star.

I gathered there will be a shift towards the taking the best available player as opposed to going for a specific type of player which has seen us waste picks over the years.

When one caller pumped him and said his recruiting has been crap, poor Greg went very quiet.

IMO - for every good kid he has plucked, he has backed it up with 4 duds, and worst of all, he has wasted some vital first rd picks on duds like Fiora and Pettifer, while players taken shortly after have developed into stars.

Greg didn't have a good night. Made for good fun in the chat room while we listened though.

They took Pettifer because they wanted someone "tall and robust" :rollin

He admitted they took Pettifer on reputation, whereas some they passed on weren't that well known. Maybe the Murray Bushrangers or whoever it was hired a personal press secretary to pump up Kayne's tyres.

As far as supporters questiong things goes last nights club corner was good. Some of the callers lasted a little longer than usual.

They seemed to be hedging a bit about the results of Duncs scans. Seemed they know the results but not the extent of the injury, or did it make more sense to anyone else. I was probably distracted by some idiots ;D in the chatroom at the time and may not have heard properly.

Greg Beck, the recruiting officer of the worst performed club in the AFL in 20 years. He should be the second person given his marching orders in september.

What makes the Pettifer pick-up even more laughable is that he was passed over in the nat drraft the year before because he was considered not good enough .. You should always trust your first impressions.

Laff's quiet today. He left the chatroom in a hurry after he heard Iris and Billy. I bet he headed around there straight away. ;D

not really rosy i had after I started thinking about Barb from carlton I wanted to be alone

Greg Beck has just confirmed what I already thought. He is completely and utterly without a clue on recruiting.

His philosophy of picking what the list needs rather than the best talent avaliable will bring him undone everytime.

It is obvious that Pavlich was/is a better talent than Fiora but the club decides they need skillfull midfielders and by doing so overlook a potential superstar. Imagine how many "skillfull midfielders" we'd get by trading Pavlich now???

And he repeated the same mistake with Petrified. Picked what they thought they needed rather than the best talent avaliable. Did the club not interview him at draft camp and relise he's got a chip on his shoulder?And to make matter worse a young kid by the name of Shaun Burgoyne went 3 picks later. Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he a 6ft goalkicker???

You are a disgrace Beck. You have poor judgement, a poor network and you've had a big hand in holding this club back for the last decade. Do us all a favour and quit.

Totally agree Tigerfurious ! Greg Beck is a disgrace and symptomatic of the larger problem at Richmond i.e. the place is completely deluded !

His ratio of getting it wrong to getting it right is way too high.

Fact: at the end of the day Beck's been there 8 years and the quality and depth of our list has not improved one iota.

Fancy suggesting that Fiora was gonna' be a good player for us ! He's had plenty of time to show us that he is just another dud pick of Beck's. Ditto Pettifer.

And Pettifer a 6ft goalkicker ? Bullsh&t ! He played in the centre most of his time at Murray Bushrangers. Beck (the &^$ dud that he is) saw him kick a few goals from the HFF in the National u/18 Carnival and naturally assumed he was a "natural goalkicker". Even Kayne Pettifer told me himself one night that he was being played completely out of position in a FP and HFF and was better suited to playing elsewhere. Fair dinkum - you are an idiot Beck.

And as for suggesting that it's not until they are 24 years old that you're able to tell if a kid is any good is an insult to our intelligence. Bloody hell.

The caller that rang in and nominated all those players as duds that had to be cleaned out and that we had no champions what so ever was spot on. Bloomberg's reaction was hysterical - fancy trying to suggest Ottens is a "superstar."

Deluded. RFC is deluded about its playing list and the members are registering their frustration at this by not re-signing.

Redford said:
Even Kayne Pettifer told me himself one night that he was being played completely out of position in a FP and HFF and was better suited to playing elsewhere.

Kyabram? :rollin

Beck's justification for picking Pettifer and not picking Kerr was that we needed a big strong midfielder who could go to the forward line and kick goals. We didn't at the time need a rover (referring to Kerr). Back in 99/2000 how many quick in and under rovers did we have? None. The club itself did'nt know what we had, what we were lacking and what we needed - a complete joke. If anything a quick quality rover/s is what we've always lacked and still do. Perhaps a quality rover has never been in the Frawelys game plan.

The amount of spindoctoring and excuses on that show is unbelievable and bordering on embarrasing.

On one hand he said ' we picked the sort of players we needed ie Pettifer Fiora for what we needed at the time'
Then contradicts himself not 5 minutes later by saying ' the kids can take 3 to 4 years before you know if they have got it'
Dumbfounded
Let's get the Bulldogs talent scout!

Scott Clayton will do me fine too...

Yes Not just Beck but the whole club is getting ridiculous, they are all dilusional and it needs someone to shake em up......or everyone??? We as supporters should march down to punt road and demonstrate in protest of the way the club is going!!

We need an overhaul and the only one of the staff that should stay on is Greg Miller and Ian Campbell other than that, clear your bags and get the hell out!!

Start again, im sick of the excuses, im sick of the wait approach, no thats enough the time is NOW to turn the club around!!!

Im bloody well and truly sick of this, no more!!!

Overall, I enjoyed listening to him, and although it doesn't seem like it, he travels all over the place watching kids play (4 games in one day after an interstate trip). Also glad to hear we have a decent network of talent scouts around the place, including some ex players which is always good to see.

But I think Harry has summed up best our recruiting and how bad it has been over the years. The club continues to overrate our list and have no clear understanding of what is required to improve the list.

I think it is quite obvious that a gun midfield makes or breaks a team. So instead of getting Kerr, we get Sziller - and Pettifer to rub salt in the wound.

WTF..the more I think about it, the more I realise that Danny really struggles to properly evaluate where our list is at. Hopefully, Greg Miller will handle this task in the future.

One more worry, he kept reffering to the kids we have coming through ??? Which kids is he reffering to other than Shulz. I will make the call right now McGrath will never play seniors, so that leaves just 2 kids in Shulz and Sipthorpe in the wings - hardly a kindergarten of talent.

In fact, unless we have some serious luck with our current squad or some awesome trading, our future is as bleak any time in my tiger memory.