Yellow and Black . . . it's in the blood | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Yellow and Black . . . it's in the blood

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Yellow and Black . . . it's in the blood
Neville Crowe
richmondfc.com.au
12 June, 2003

How does one clearly define their love of the Richmond Football Club without taking the risk of sounding a bit corny, soppy or dramatic?

Well, I've always worn my heart on my sleeve, so let's have a crack at it . . .

Love in any form is a sensitive and profound emotion. In its purest form, it is the most important ingredient of success in any of life's endeavours. Without it, life is empty.

When it comes to 'love of the club', it really boils down to love of the people that you share your football life with over the journey. The characters you meet with, communicate with, work with and play with are the building blocks of your love affair. And, over my three separate lives at the Richmond Football Club, that amounts to a cast of many hundreds.

I love, and count as friends for life, these hundreds of loyal, devoted Richmond people whose paths I've crossed over the years.

Who are they?

Well, they are the rank-and-file grassroots supporters, the cheer squad, the volunteer brigade (Alice Wills, David Norman, Gerard Ryan, Roland Weeks, Ronnie Reiffel, Lorna, Melva, Norma, Claude, etc. etc.).

Talk about Tiger passion! They are incredible characters and their constant, everlasting commitment to the Club is both heartwarming and inspiring.

Then, there's the trainers, the medical staff, the physios and the property stewards from my playing days -- the likes of 'Scotchy' McDonald and his son Len, Jimmy Edwards, Irvine Booth, Keith Cleaver, Alby Keogh, Frank Hegarty, etc. etc. All wonderful, fun-filled blokes.

Dr Grogan stitching my head up on the boundary line at Punt Road Oval, breathing a little Corio Five Star whisky into my face as he plied the needle and thread.

Charlie Callander, Keith 'Dad' Miles, 'Dusty' O'Brien . . . totally unique individuals.

Boot-studders like Kevin McEvoy and 'Drac' Tiltins. Lifelong mate and Club historian Bill Meaklim.

Great administrators and Board members . . . Harry Dyke, Maurie Fleming, Ray Dunn, Graeme Richmond, Alan Schwab, Leon Daphne, Pat Stone, Garry Krauss, Mike Humphris, Trevor McGinley and many, many more.

And, of course, the players and coaches who it's been my pleasure to be associated with over my 46-year Tigerland journey. Quite simply, there are just too many champion players (champion blokes as well) to mention. However, please let me mention three players I love and respect deeply as mentors. All of them men of outstanding character and
integrity.

Firstly, there's the one and only Jack Dyer who, in my mind, epitomises everything that is good about the Richmond Football Club. A legend, an 'immortal' in every sense . . .

Roy Wright . . . a true champion. A heart as big as a cauliflower. An absolute gentleman (Roy used to drive me home from training because I didn't own a car in those days).

Finally, there's Des Rowe . . . my captain, my coach -- and one of my 'life trainers'. A wonderful gentleman.

I learnt from all the coaches I had throughout my career, but two were standouts -- Len Smith and Tommy Hafey. Both were sensational coaches and leaders of men.

Back to that most potent of forces -- love. This is what has helped all dedicated Richmond people cope with the disappointments, the pain, the setbacks and the frustrations. You experience the trials, tribulations and adversity, but that potent force (love) overcomes all the obstacles.

It's always been my view that if you care at all you'll get some result and, if you care enough, you will get incredible results. So, even though it's been a long, tough struggle since our last premiership triumph in 1980, we must all remain determined and committed to attaining our goal of a successful era to equal the 1967-80 period.

To all Richmond people, I urge you to not lose faith in the Club. Most people do not understand the importance of failure in achievement. It is impossible to succeed without first failing. Failure is an indispensable prerequisite for success.

Throughout history, all great success has been preceded by great failure. Our own Club's history proves that. Look back at the two decades following our 1943 premiership success . . . we failed miserably until 1967, spending several years wallowing at the bottom of the ladder.

Then came great success -- five premierships in 13 years.

The bottom line is, we have to be prepared to risk failure over and over again, to learn the lessons that will lead to greatness again.

And, rest assured, the Richmond Football Club eventually will break through and taste the game's ultimate success.

In closing, I would just like to state that I unashamedly love my football club, the Tigers . . . how about you?

I passionately care for my football club, the Tigers . . . how about you?

And, I remain totally committed to doing whatever it takes to achieve the success we all deserve . . . how about you?

Eat 'em Alive!!!

How appropriate that the club issues a lovely passionate report when the team and the coach loses the plot. Win back the supporters and members with some hard decisions and direction and stop living in the past tigers. Reports like this make me wanna throw up :-X .

In fairness Harry, that article was in the Fighting Tiger bulletin a couple of weeks back.

Its all the same - passion and pride - thats all we live off.