Guide to Tigers of Old is pure Gold | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Guide to Tigers of Old is pure Gold

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
4:17:47 PM
Thu 20 February, 2003

It is a small, old, four-sided piece of cardboard -- but it's one of my most prized pieces of Richmond Football Club memorabilia.

The it that I refer to, is a copy of 'Tiger News', which was a publication brought out by the Club for an intra-club practice match during the pre-season of 1967.

They were the days when intra-club practice matches were the highlight of the pre-season period. You didn't play against another VFL (as it was back then) team until the season proper kicked off. The only other opposition you'd occasionally meet was an interstate team (usually from SA, occasionally WA).

No, the old 'Probables' versus 'Possibles' intra-club trial never failed to whet the appetite for the 'real stuff' ahead.

And, as you can see by looking at the respective squads (listed below) for this particular pre-'67 season practice match, there was a decent smattering of Tiger talent on show.

The other particularly interesting aspect of this issue of Tiger News was the prophetic nature of the comments made by whoever the publication's author was.

To say the author was spot-on in his prognostications about the likes of R. Hart, K. Sheedy, F. Bourke, M. Bowden, R. Hunt and G. Bond would be somewhat of an understatement. Hart, Sheedy and Bourke went on to achieve Team of the Century and Hall of Fame status at Tigerland, while Messrs Bowden, Hunt and Bond all tasted premiership success at Punt Road, with the latter two (Rex and Bondy) going on to achieve fame and fortune in the media world as well.

As a collectable piece, the value of this issue of Tiger News is obviously enhanced due to the fact that it was produced on the eve of what was turned out to be a watershed season for the Club -- our first premiership in 24 years.

Let me now share with you (word for word) this priceless piece of RFC nostalgia and, as another matter of interest, take note of the membership prices for the '67 season . . .

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
THE PRACTICE GAMES
"During the practice matches played to date, the selectors have endeavoured to fill the problem positions of 1966 and it is apparent at this stage that they are meeting with success.

The full-back position has promoted a keen tussle between Mick Erwin, who has recovered fitness and confidence after a cartilage operation, and Ross Warner. Pat Guinane, after a successful season on the full-forward line, returns to centre half-forward and is showing fine form. Royce Hart has settled in well at full-forward and gave a scintillating exhibition of marking which thrilled the crowd at Shepparton last Sunday.

Star players, Neville Crowe and Roger Dean, are in top form and both should again be a force in the battle for the 1967 flag.

Members of the Reserve Grade Premiership Team who have shown definite signs of improvement during the practice games are Graham Burgin, Michael Green, Eric Moore, George McInnes, Ray Orchard, John Perry, Kevin Shinners and, of course, Royce Hart. It is a tragedy that their teammate, Blair Campbell, is languishing in hospital with a cartilage operation after a very promising debut last season. Bill Walford and Trevor Gowers are also recovering from operations.

Kevin Sheedy (Prahran) has enjoyed a most successful practice period and has a bright VFL future before him. Francis Bourke (Nathalia), the son of a former player, shows distinct promise of following in his father's footsteps. Keith Smythe (Merbein) is a fine roving prospect and will be an asset to the Tigers. Michael Bowden (St. Kevin's) has impressed with his strong marking and only needs to improve his kicking to become a real prospect. Daryl Beale, David Jacks, John McKenzie, Alan Evans and Graeme Cliff, all products of our Under 19 team, have been impressive and should move up to the Reserves this season.

In the early matches, the standard of play has been very high and it is evident that the Club will field strong Under 19 and Fourths teams again. Rex Hunt (Under 19s) has shown distinct promise at full-forward, Daryl Cumming (South Mildura) possesses great roving talent for a 15-year-old lad, Russell Tully (Oakleigh 4ths) is a prospect at centre half-forward, and others to show out have been Graeme Bond (Under 19), Jim Carland (Katandra), Jeff Milne and Ian McKinlay (Under 19) and David Cranage (Horsham).

Three of our best players in Bill Barrot, Frank Dimattina and Geoff Strang have recovered from troublesome injuries and will be fit for the opening match. John Ronaldson has also suffered with injury.

Alan Richardson, Mike Patterson and Mike Perry are reaching top condition at the right time, as is *smile* Clay.

The Club is determined to consolidate on the improvement of the past two seasons and will make a determined effort for top honours in 1967.

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
CLUB APPOINTMENTS
On Tuesday night, the Committee honoured three of our greatest post-war players when Fred Swift, Pat Guinane and Roger Dean were appointed Captain, Vice-Captain and Deputy Vice-Captain respectively.

Fred Swift joined the Tigers from Sandhurst in the Bendigo League and has played 126 games during his 9 years with the Club. Tough, strong and game, he is one of the best kicks in the VFL. Possessed of a keen football brain, Fred will be an asset to the Club in this position.

Pat Guinane is the son of former player, Danny Guinane. A local player recruited from St Ignatius, Pat commences his 10th season with the Tigers and has played 118 games. He is one of the identities of the VFL with his all-round power game.

Roger Dean is also a local player who commenced his career with the Club in the fourths. Rated by keen judges to be one of our best-ever utility players, Roger will play his 11th senior season in the Yellow and Black with 120 games behind him."

SAVE MONEY --- BECOME A MEMBER!

18 MATCHES FOR $6 -- 18 MATCHES FOR $6

* AN AVERAGE OF 33 CENTS PER MATCH

* THE CHEAPEST CASH ADMISSION IS 60 CENTS

Here's how the two teams shaped up (in guernsey number order) for the big Punt Road intra-club practice match:

YELLOW & BLACK

1. GUINANE

3. DEAN

5. CROWE

12. RICHARDSON, A.

15. SWIFT

18. SHINNERS (Reserves)

21. ERWIN

22. PERRY, M.

24. BARROT

25. PATTERSON

27. BURGIN

28. STRANG

29. BARTLETT

32. DIMATTINA

33. PERRY, J.

37. GREEN

42. HART (UNDER 19)

43. SHEEDY (PRAHRAN)

41. RHODEN (UNI. BLUES)

55. HOOPER (WA)

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
RED & BLACK

1. BOURKE (NATHALIA)

2. TEAGUE

3. CLAY

4. DAVENPORT

5. BEALE (UNDER 19)

6. NORTHEY

7. McINNES (RESERVES)

8. McKENZIE (UNDER 19)

9. HOGAN

10. JEWELL

11. MOORE

12. ORCHARD (RESERVES)

13. RONALDSON

14. RICHARDSON, B.

15. BROWN

16. WALSH (RESERVES)

17. BUSSE

18. WARNER

19. BOWDEN (ST KEVIN'S)

20. SMYTHE (MERBEIN)

21. EVANS (UNDER 19)

While I can't give you the final scores or best players in this Tiger intra-club hit-out, I can provide the goalkickers (courtesy of my father, Kenn, who has always been the designated 'scorer' when we've been at the footy together).

YELLOW & BLACK: Hart 7; Dean 2; Swift 2; Patterson 2; A. Richardson, Dimattina, Green, Hooper. RED & BLACK: Northey 5; Ronaldson 3; Hogan 2; Clay, Beale, B. Richardson.

mightytiges

Dec 16, 2002
SAVE MONEY --- BECOME A MEMBER!

18 MATCHES FOR $6 -- 18 MATCHES FOR $6

* AN AVERAGE OF 33 CENTS PER MATCH

* THE CHEAPEST CASH ADMISSION IS 60 CENTS

Well that's one way to attract more than 30000 members ;D.

Lucky to get a cold pie and a plastic cup of warm beer for $6 now :(.