Hafey Era Finals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hafey Era Finals

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
Perhaps like me, a few of you have got on Youtube and watch the 1967 GF and other finals from that era.
A few observations ...
1. No issues with deliberate out of bounds - you could roost it into the 2nd deck in 1967, by 1969 out on the full existed.
2. The holding the ball, holding the man rule was very confusing.
3. The one umpire system did have its benefits (re: consistency).
4. They threw the ball up at the slightest hint of a pack forming!
5. Billy Barrot was an absolute gun in the 60's (see his goal in the last quarter of the 1969 GF)
6. Far be it from me to dispute Dusty as our best ever finals player but KB must be a damn close second - lost count of how many last quarter clutch goals he kicked!

PS: Cant find the 1969 1st Semi Final - Would love to see that 118 point win over the Cats!

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Another thing is that while drop kicks that worked look great - there was a significant failure rate in executing them too.
But that seemed to be basically just taken for granted and frequently when a bloke would stuff one completely and the ball dribbled along the ground - neither the commentators nor crowd were bothered.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
How good was Bustling Billy Barrot? I absolutely idolised him as a kid.

I used to kick raking drop kicks in the backyard and in the park near our house just like Billy. In my head I was Billy Barrot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

kevbokev

Tiger Rookie
Jan 15, 2009
Perhaps like me, a few of you have got on Youtube and watch the 1967 GF and other finals from that era.
A few observations ...
1. No issues with deliberate out of bounds - you could roost it into the 2nd deck in 1967, by 1969 out on the full existed.
2. The holding the ball, holding the man rule was very confusing.
3. The one umpire system did have its benefits (re: consistency).
4. They threw the ball up at the slightest hint of a pack forming!
5. Billy Barrot was an absolute gun in the 60's (see his goal in the last quarter of the 1969 GF)
6. Far be it from me to dispute Dusty as our best ever finals player but KB must be a damn close second - lost count of how many last quarter clutch goals he kicked!

PS: Cant find the 1969 1st Semi Final - Would love to see that 118 point win over the Cats!
Highlights of the '69 1st Semi is on oztiger73's YouTube channel. Lots of other good stuff as well. Also check out Rhett Bartlet's YouTube channel if you haven't already done so. Regards

Reactions: 1 user

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Can anyone list Tommy's Finals numbers.
Played and won.
To see how Beavis is tracking thus far!
Cheers.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We should add into our constitution we can only sign coaches whos surname starts with H.
I'm ringing Pecky now..

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne

I used to kick racking drop kicks in the backyard and in the park near our house just like Billy. In my head I was Billy Barrot.
I remember trying out for my high school footy team, and during circle work decided to pull out a drop kick Billy Barrot style. Went about 40 metres, no more than 2 metres high and hit my teammate on his chest with a thud. The coach was nearby and wrote something on his clipboard. I made the team :D Never pulled off such a perfect drop kick again for the rest of my life.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Tommy Hafey

at Richmond. 20 finals for 15 wins and a draw. Awesome.

at other clubs. 22 finals for 9 wins and a draw. Solid.

KB. 27 finals for 20 wins and a draw. Also awesome.

Hardwick so far. 14 finals for 9 wins.

Dusty. Same as Hardwick.

• Wow

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I remember trying out for my high school footy team, and during circle work decided to pull out a drop kick Billy Barrot style. Went about 40 metres, no more than 2 metres high and hit my teammate on his chest with a thud. The coach was nearby and wrote something on his clipboard. I made the team :D Never pulled off such a perfect drop kick again for the rest of my life.
When I say raking drop kicks I was just a young fella so they went about 15-20 metres

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Can anyone list Tommy's Finals numbers.
Played and won.
To see how Beavis is tracking thus far!
Cheers.
Hafey coached Richmond 20 times in finals for 15 wins and a draw.
Dimma has 9 wins from 14 finals

Tommy’s overall finals record is 24 wins and 2 draws from 42 finals

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I was told that former tiger Ron Branton was hot favourite to coach. But the board made a surprised selection and gave it to Hafey.
Anyone around that time can confirm?

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014

I used to kick raking drop kicks in the backyard and in the park near our house just like Billy. In my head I was Billy Barrot.
Loved Billy, in fact I had my haircut sitting next to him in a barber shop in Springvale Rd Blackburn, in about 1969. Always remember mum saying to me
keep your head still, so the barber could do his job.:cool:

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004

My dad said that 1969 was his best. In the round 19 game against Carlton at Princess Park; Richmond trailed by 3 goals or so all day. Barrott was switched to full-forward and Eric Moore into the centre (a popular move of Hafey's). Barrott ran riot and kicked 6 in the last quarter and 8 straight for the match. The Tigers would have missed the finals if they dropped this one. He was widely regarded as BOG in the GF in 1969 in the days before the Norm Smith Medal. He was the best drop kick in the game but could also kick a great torpedo as evidenced by his last quarter goal in 1969.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
My dad said that 1969 was his best. In the round 19 game against Carlton at Princess Park; Richmond trailed by 3 goals or so all day. Barrott was switched to full-forward and Eric Moore into the centre (a popular move of Hafey's). Barrott ran riot and kicked 6 in the last quarter and 8 straight for the match. The Tigers would have missed the finals if they dropped this one. He was widely regarded as BOG in the GF in 1969 in the days before the Norm Smith Medal. He was the best drop kick in the game but could also kick a great torpedo as evidenced by his last quarter goal in 1969.
Does your dad's name start with L by any chance?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I was at that match with my older brother and my Dad close to goals at the eastern end of Princes Park. Billy was electric, unstoppable.
Billy did kick 8 goals and we won but we were also depending on Geelong beating Hawthorn at Kardinia Park to knock the hawks out of the finals. I think it was Doug wade kicked a late goal and they won by a few points. A big cheer went around the ground for no apparent reason when he kicked it because the Richmond supporters were listening to that game on their radios!
in a cruel twist of fate for Geelong we displaced the hawks and beat Geelong by over 100 points in the semi final 2 weeks later.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I have been looking for footage of the 1969 1st Semi for years, have never found it.

Only recently discovered that footage of the 1969 Prelim. Only second and third quarters but great stuff. Looked like it might have been ABC footage too given the tone of the commentary. There was another game I saw recently, I think it was the 1971 Prelim, which I hadn't seen any of before. Just as an aside, if you think the 1989 Grand Final was brutal, check out the 1971 Grand Final, it was rough.

I actually found holding the ball less confusing back then.

At least they paid holding the man. Notice how careful they were back then not to grab a player who was not in possession of the ball, the adjudication of that rule has changed so much. What they are doing now is way more confusing as you get away with a fair bit of holding on to players without the ball, but where the line is drawn is far less clear cut? I understand rewarding the tackler but it has now got to the point where players don't want to get the ball and that is fundamentally wrong.

They didn't throw it up quick - they bounced it quick. One really noticeable thing is that there was no waiting for the ruck to turn up, if they were 30 yards behind play then someone else had to pitch in and ruck.

This may not be popular, but Dusty is still catching up to KB. He was instrumental in 5 premierships. Dusty rips a game apart in a way KB wasn't capable of, but KB was amazing. Ran all day, always where the ball was, and kicked a heap of goals in finals. Truly amazing finals player.

I have been watching a lot of old finals of late, as I do when we make the finals. Geez, watching full length quarters is just magic, so much better than the shortened quarters we are currently putting up with. Back to full length quarters next year please, really don't like the idea that they are going to go for 18 minutes plus time on, it sucks.

DS