Hafey Era Finals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hafey Era Finals

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Was thinking more along the lines of e.g. a 1969 Finals Pack containing the three finals.

1973 would have four finals, 1980 three, 67 and 74 just the two.

Not sure whether quality would be improved by a Blu-ray transfer or whether it's limited by the resolution of the original footage.

That would be great, somehow I think the footage no longer exists. The 1967 finals would be good too, only 2 finals though.

There must be more of the 1969 1st semi and they do keep finding things.

It is a bit like the old episodes of Dr Who, piles of them missing and many searches over the years have not found them. But, occasionally one turns up.

The video I saw of the 1969 Preliminary Final, only the 2nd and 3rd quarters, I hadn't seen until about a week ago. Has been on YouTube for 6 months by the look of it but the 1973 1st semi only uploaded a week ago. You never know, things do turn up. There is a lot on YouTube, just saw some colour footage of the 1967 Grand Final, clearly filmed off a computer (in YouTube too) but can't find the rest of it.

DS

kevbokev

Tiger Rookie
Jan 15, 2009
That would be great, somehow I think the footage no longer exists. The 1967 finals would be good too, only 2 finals though.

There must be more of the 1969 1st semi and they do keep finding things.

It is a bit like the old episodes of Dr Who, piles of them missing and many searches over the years have not found them. But, occasionally one turns up.

The video I saw of the 1969 Preliminary Final, only the 2nd and 3rd quarters, I hadn't seen until about a week ago. Has been on YouTube for 6 months by the look of it but the 1973 1st semi only uploaded a week ago. You never know, things do turn up. There is a lot on YouTube, just saw some colour footage of the 1967 Grand Final, clearly filmed off a computer (in YouTube too) but can't find the rest of it.

DS
My understanding is, and I could be wrong, is that the finals that were televised by 7, 9 and ATV0 all still exist, but are not available due to copyright issues? The ABC had a policy of re-using tape in the 70's so lots of the finals that they broadcasted are probably gone?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
My understanding is, and I could be wrong, is that the finals that were televised by 7, 9 and ATV0 all still exist, but are not available due to copyright issues? The ABC had a policy of re-using tape in the 70's so lots of the finals that they broadcasted are probably gone?

I think they were all re-using tape back then, it was quite expensive.

9 and 0 didn't do as much footy as 7 but you would figure they would have some.

A couple of weeks ago on the ABC radio they were talking about having found their footage of the 1970 Grand Final, but they don't seem to have released it. I do wonder why not, how good would that be.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

kevbokev

Tiger Rookie
Jan 15, 2009
I think they were all re-using tape back then, it was quite expensive.

9 and 0 didn't do as much footy as 7 but you would figure they would have some.

A couple of weeks ago on the ABC radio they were talking about having found their footage of the 1970 Grand Final, but they don't seem to have released it. I do wonder why not, how good would that be.

DS
Yeah, you're probably right. Rhett Bartlett would possibly know as he has posted a lot of old clips and stuff on his YouTube Channel. I seem to remember that Channel 7 offered lots of old matches on VHS in the late 80's, but not sure.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
One more thing about 1969. In the final round of the season we played Footscray who were pretty low on the ladder that year. We only had to win. We won by 90 points.

The Papers that week were all about how we had only beaten a team that had nothing to play for and the semi final against the Cats would be different. They were a more talented team, they had star players like Doug Wade who had kicked over 120 goals already and was an outside chance of getting to 150 and setting a new record and the Tigers had only just snuck into the top 4. Geelong would dispense with them easily.

Then the game started and the Tigers went berserk. Eight goals in the first and led 20 goals to 3 at three quarter time on the way to a 117 point win.

Media narrative changed immediately after that game and it was more like, “Gee, it sucks to be Collingwood and Carlton. Richmond are going to destroy them.”

Us young Tiger fans walked real tall at our Primary Schools for the next three weeks.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
One more thing about 1969. In the final round of the season we played Footscray who were pretty low on the ladder that year. We only had to win. We won by 90 points.

The Papers that week were all about how we had only beaten a team that had nothing to play for and the semi final against the Cats would be different. They were a more talented team, they had star players like Doug Wade who had kicked over 120 goals already and was an outside chance of getting to 150 and setting a new record and the Tigers had only just snuck into the top 4. Geelong would dispense with them easily.

Then the game started and the Tigers went berserk. Eight goals in the first and led 20 goals to 3 at three quarter time on the way to a 117 point win.

Media narrative changed immediately after that game and it was more like, “Gee, it sucks to be Collingwood and Carlton. Richmond are going to destroy them.”

Us young Tiger fans walked real tall at our Primary Schools for the next three weeks.
In that era is that it was only a final 4. We finished 5th in both 1966 and 1968 but won 13 games with a draw in an 18 game season in 1966 and 14-6 in 1968. In 68 we were coming hard and won our last 6 but relied on Geelong who were 2nd to beat st Kilda who were 4th to get into the finals in the last game.
The saints won very easily and then played Geelong again in the 1st semi the next week and got smashed.
Many reckon we might have won that flag as well if we had got to the finals
Hafey’s winning record after 4 seasons was about 75%.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah, 68 and 69 were very similar seasons for the Tigers but with very different endings.

The McIntyre Final 4 system had been in place since the 30s and the flag nearly always went to either first or second, mainly because of the double chance. Occasionally the team that finished third would sneak one. The fourth team nearly always made up the numbers. From fourth spot, you had to beat all three of the teams that finished higher than you did on the ladder, one after the other. The odds were stacked.

Winning emphatically from fourth place in 1969 was an amazing effort.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
The McIntyre Final 4 system had been in place since the 30s and the flag nearly always went to either first or second, mainly because of the double chance. Occasionally the team that finished third would sneak one.
I don't think any team won it from 3rd under the McIntyre final 4 system.

Reactions: 1 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
The absolute golden period of the Hafey era was 1972 to 1974. This is when the whole Graeme Richmond Arrogant Tigers thing got into full swing. It finally came to a head in the infamous Windy Hill brawl in 1975 but that is a bedtime story for another day. Let’s just stick to finals.

The Tigers of 1967 to 70 had been a bit of a glamour team. Royce Hart had burst onto the scene as a 19 year old prodigy, Francis Bourke, *smile* Clay and Barry Richardson were all young and skilful players. Billy Barrot was an excitement machine. Geoff Strang was dashing across half-back. The centre-line of Bourke, Barrot and Clay was dynamic. Heck, even KB had hair.

These young stars complimented a number of old codgers who had battled over long careers and finally had success, which no-one really begrudged. Neville Crowe, Paddy Guinane, Roger Dean, Freddy Swift. The Tigers didn’t even make finals once between their flags in 1943 and 1967. I won’t say everyone loved them but they had a bit of 2016 Bulldogs feel good about them.

By 1972 it was a different story. Graeme Richmond and his off-sider Alan Schwab were keen to keep the success going, recruiting from all over Australia. Ready made footballers came across from Interstate every season. They poached players consistently from other clubs, often leaving them resentful. That’s the clubs that became resentful, the players usually just won Premierships. They worked their local and country zones relentlessly, in a time when the others just let the good kids on their zone come up for a training session and go from there.

Think Adrian Dodoro, but with rat cunning, street smarts, intelligence, school of hard knocks charm and charisma. And more belligerence, way more belligerence! Actually, don’t think Dodoro, just mentioning him in this context is so wrrrronnnnng. Just pretend you didn’t read that bit.

Each year, the firsts, seconds and thirds would all win most of their games. They had an endless line of good players coming through their system. Didn’t stop them poaching whoever they wanted though. In 1974, their reserves team was so strong it could probably have beaten half the senior teams. They were a power house. A really annoying one, too. The fans expected to see their team win each week and were loud and in everyone’s grill.

In 1972, Richmond and Carlton dominated the competition together. They pretty much belted every other team and ended up playing each other five times, twice during the season, then they drew in a semi-final, replayed it the next week and met again in the Grand Final. Richmond won the two H&A games and the semi-Final replay and were odds-on favourites. During that September, the other ten clubs were just footnotes.

In a stunning Grand Final, Carlton jumped them and won by 27 points, kicking 28 goals, 9 points. Richmond’s losing score equalled the previous GF record score. In the dying minutes of that game, Neil Balme belted the very popular David McKay, breaking his jaw. It was the first salvo in a bigger war that set the scene for the spiteful 1973 Grand Final against the Blues.

Off-field, Richmond‘s hierarchy was also incensed that KB had two outstanding seasons in 73 and 74 but didn’t win a Brownlow, especially in 1973. They let everyone know what they thought of this too.

The Empire of Evil was on its way, relentlessly peeing-off anyone and everyone, in every way possible. Sometimes, they even did it just for fun, just because they could.

Hafey himself loved to use the old “Boys, it’s us against the world“ routine. He was happiest when they had their backs to the wall and had to win the flag to “make things right again,” or just to get even with someone who looked at them sideways. So every year, GR and Schwabby would pick a fight, light a fire at VFL House over something ridiculous and Tommy would do the rest.

Don’t you just miss them simple days?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
Great to see so many posts with stories and questions about this era. I was too young to remember more than just the odd snippet from this time. For some reason I remember losing the game when the queen came to round 1? in 1970, which was quite unexpected and I recall the losing 1972 final (another great shock). The first game I can recall in detail is the 1973 prelim final (actually a greater comeback than the 1970 grand final), the roar when Royce led the team out after half time was spine tingling and set the scene for what was an epic comeback, although it took nearly the whole half for us to reel them in! In truth, Royce didn't do that much (2 goals - one was a free downfield) but his presence was key. If you listen to his Open Mike interview, 1973 was really the start of his knee troubles, which begs the question what happened to the Tigers in 1966, 1968, 1970 and 1971.

Hafey definitely had the knack of training his teams to finish seasons strongly, but the downside was that they occasionally left their run too late. In both 1966 and 1968 their win/loss would have got them in the 4 in any other season since 1931 (the advent of the Page/McIntyre system). In 1968 there was defintely aspersions cast on Carlton (now there's a surprise) for throwing a game to keep Richmond out. The 1971 Prelim was Hafey's 1st final loss and if you listen to him talk about that game he was filthy on the umps. KB was pinged 8 times for holding/dropping the ball whilst Ross Smith (brownlow medallist and umpire darling) got 6 frees for the same thing. The game was played in the wet with the Saints breaking away mostly in the third quarter. Hafey just remarked, 'we would have beaten Hawthorn in the GF, we never had any trouble with them'. I think of those years only 1970 was a poor one really, the others we were a genuine chance in; if we goth there.

I think the advent of the final five in 1972 helped us as slower starts were less costly; I think 1972 was the real 'one that got away'. We played Carlton 5 times that season with the GF our only loss. A loss really that was something of a freak goal kicking effort on their part; they had three players kick 19.2 between them. 40 scoring shots to 37; we went down in what was the highest scoring game in not just any final but any game! I think this loss was a catalyst in many ways; there was some finger pointing; Boyanich (a WA ruckman) became a bit of a scapegoat for the loss as he was playing on Big Nicholls but there were others that were probably equally to blame. But 1972 definitely steeled them for 1973/1974 triumps. Numerous players remarked on how Carlton were never winning that day in 1973 and the 1974 Windy Hill riot really established the 'us against the world' mentality. I remember the 1974 GF quite well; it was so notable for how much the tiger army was out numbered, admittedly mostly because every neutral was barracking for the title less, North!

I think 1975 was really the end of this era and it was mostly off-field rather than on! The team was still good enough (3rd) but the 'worst trade in history' (Pitura for Teasedale, Jackson and The Whale Roberts). Hafey remarked that after the first training session he knew it was a big mistake. They also gave the Swans $40 or $50K in this deal, which was huge coin at the time. The problem was that Pitura was barely a 'good, ordinary player' in Dyer terms. The Tigers were charmed by his efforts against Francis Bourke and massively over-rated him. I actually know 'Teaser' a bit and he told me that separately GR, Wilson and Hafey told him that they never wanted to clear him, blaming the others. Teasedale was only 20 when traded and looked a likely prospect at full-forward; he kicked well over 100 goals in 1973 across the 3rds, 2nds and 1sts (6 games). The Whale was 6th in the Brownlow in 1975 but he was the heart and soul of the club; organising most social functions etc. Even Francis Jackson; many good years as a half-back for the Swans did far better than Pitura did for the Tigers. I think the damage of this trade was psychological as well; with players feeling they were more expendable and with Richmond often paying overs for interstate recruits in the coming years, usually at the expense of the local players (Raines v Rioli for example).

Graeme Richmond, the architect of the ill-fated trade, became increasingly hostile towards Hafey. It was not clear why but he made his feelings known to Hafey and Hafey resigned before the 1977 season. 1976 was Hafey's worst (7th) but there was some player disenchantment and player losses. The core was still in tact. It is my view that they sacked (i know technically Hafey resigned) the wrong guy. As good as GR had been for the club he had set them on a path that was eventually to lead to ruin, with many bad deals (tit for tat with Collingwood), loss of player faith and above all, financial disaster.

Hafey was the ultimate 'player's coach'; everyone wanted to play for Tommy. In many ways he was well ahead of his time. He would host an annual bbq for all of his players (usually in December) right up until his death that nearly all would attend. The various interviews that you can find with him (open Mike, Richo does one) all show his affection for the players; it is so great to see that a lot of what is going on now is based on his legacy.

It is actually interesting to contrast this golden era with the current one; the fundamental difference is the high regard for player management and welfare that we extol at present. It is something that we should jealously guard and something that we are way ahead of the pack in. If we continue to get this right; we should remain a force for some time. - Go Tigers!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
If you listen to his Open Mike interview, 1973 was really the start of his knee troubles, which begs the question what happened to the Tigers in 1966, 1968, 1970 and 1971.

We were Reserves premiers in 66/68/73 (won 27 straight at one stage)
U19 premiers 67/68/69/70/73
McClelland Trophy winners 67/72/73/74
Champions of Australia 69/73/74

The 1969 annual report stated
"It is vital that our players remain at this pitch of fearless endeavour, and that their overpowering desire to win at any personal cost is retained. The club disappointment at missing the final four in season 1968 will act as a great spur to everyone connected with the club to ensure that the frustrations of that year do not occur again."

Yet there we were the following year, out of the finals. The club was good at winning and got disappointed when it didn't (e.g. the Brownlow stoush), which drove it further. These days the obsession with winning might be regarded by some medicos as unhealthy.