Hardest loses | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardest loses

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Last game in 1996, after making the Preliminary final in 95, all we had to do was beat Norf in the last game to make the finals. There was nothing in it at 3/4 time, but it wasn't to be, Norf kicked about 10 goals in the last quarter.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Last game in 1996, after making the Preliminary final in 95, all we had to do was beat Norf in the last game to make the finals. There was nothing in it at 3/4 time, but it wasn't to be, Norf kicked about 10 goals in the last quarter.
That’s rather similar to the last round in ‘98 when we had to beat the Dees to make the finals. Should have been up for it, but Jeff Farmer stood on Turner’s head early in the game and that was pretty much the end of it. Very deflating.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That’s rather similar to the last round in ‘98 when we had to beat the Dees to make the finals. Should have been up for it, but Jeff Farmer stood on Turner’s head early in the game and that was pretty much the end of it. Very deflating.

Yeah that one really hurt. We really didn't want to play finals based on that game.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Too many to choose from really, but here goes:

4) that horrible loss to Geelong at Chernobyl in the 2000s, 10 goals to 1 for the first 3 quarters. My daughter was young, wanted her to be a Tigers supporter, that game did not help.
3) 2018 Prelim. We played awful, were lucky to be within 20 points in the last quarter, clearly not playing well and Collingwood were on fire.
2) that Elimination Final against Carlton when they finished 9th. That was terrible, we came 5th, should have slapped them.

The worst of all:

1) 1982 Grand Final. We should have and could have won that one. What followed was awful: sacking coaches, just about going bust, decades of mediocrity. It was the worst. On the bright side, maybe 2017 will have the same impact on Adelaide for decades . . .

DS

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'm **** with years and rounds, but that game against essendon where Richo kicked the winning goal, only for the maggot to pay a free against then a bloody fifty metre penalty to give them the game, absolutely boiled my ****

I reckon mrs.ez kicked me out of the house that night.

the kids were little and I think I kicked a stubby off the coffee table and accidentally busted it and a lamp.

I had to apologise to the kids before I could come back inside, but I distinctly remember the kids eyes sparkling and their little tongues jammed in their cheeks trying not to smile.

rightly or wrongly, they understood that dad went ritually violent once a week, and that no-one got hurt.

FWIW, I thought mrs.ez's handled the incident way better than the umpire.

Reactions: 5 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I reckon mrs.ez kicked me out of the house that night.

the kids were little and I think I kicked a stubby off the coffee table and accidentally busted it and a lamp.

I had to apologise to the kids before I could come back inside, but I distinctly remember the kids eyes sparkling and their little tongues jammed in their cheeks trying not to smile.

rightly or wrongly, they understood that dad went ritually violent once a week, and that no-one got hurt.

FWIW, I thought mrs.ez's handled the incident way better than the umpire.
This is one of the funniest posts I've seen here.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
People need to get over 1982. Yes, we were the best team and seen in isolation we should have won it.
But the best team doesn't always win Grand Finals and who better to know that than Richmond?
Every year, two teams who are by definition very good, get to the Grand Final and every year, only one will win it.
So if you're batting over 50% you are doing well.
In my life time, we are 7-2, 78% Not bad IMO.

If we let one slip in 1982 (and 1972 and potentially even 2018 when we didn't even get there) then there are plenty of examples where we may have nicked one.

1967 : Close game and much of the media thought Geelong were the better team on the day.
1969 : We finished 4th in a final four.
1972 : We were the hottest favourite in years and conceded 18 goals by half time !!!
1973 : Probably were underdogs here had we not lost to Cartoon the year before.
1974 : No doubt here.
1980 : Ditto.
1982 : Dropped one.
2017 : Eight goals and some idiots till think Adelaide were the best side for the year.
2019 : No doubt here.

I'll take our overall record in Grand Finals any day of the week. Look at Scumwood.

Reactions: 2 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
For what it's worth, I think 35 of years of not-being-much-good has made me rather resilient to our indifferent losses.
The K.Hunt one was particularly demoralizing but I can look at the Tom Derickx dropped mark now and laugh.
But I'll go one further and nominate the same game from the year before - 2011.
I was on my three-yearly pilgrimage to Australia and as luck would have it, although based in Melbourne for the month I happened to be in Cairns that weekend for reasons not related to the footy and went to the game. We were terrible that year but they were worse so I was hoping to see a rare win. Howling gale at one end. Made a mess of the third quarter with it and that was it. On a personal note that was pretty bad.

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
it is personal, and like a bottle of wine, its all about context.

and if you had said to me, knowing what I know now,

you can go to the 2019 prelim and sit in front of the most dislikable *smile* in Victoria and watch mason cox play the game of his life and watch your dreams morph into nightmares like a feverish, slow motion car crash, to the chants of U-S-A,

or you can have a vasectomy conducted by your mother-in-law, without anaesthetic using only a Stanley knife,

I'd honestly have to give it some thought.

• Haha

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Dunstalls 17
Abletts 14
Longmires 12
Modras 10
Any loss against blues always bad, but 2013 elim was especially horrific

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Dunstalls 17
Abletts 14
Longmires 12
Modras 10
Any loss against blues always bad, but 2013 elim was especially horrific
Sat through a 139 point humiliation at Football Park in the member's in 1993 as Modra booted 13.
The 18 prelim was frustrating and heartbreaking.
I didn't attend but the worst was losing to the blues in the 13 elimination closely followes by the 15 North final.
The smug look on Fuckshaws face the week before as the North reserves rallied and threatened to beat us made me livid.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Was anyone at Junction Oval R16 1961? Shattered. Couldn't face school for the next week.
I just checked the score, 12.19.91 to 0.8.8, I don't blame you for dodging school.
How many behinds did Paddy Guinane kick that day...............not as many as the coach, I'd suggest.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
1. Carlton final when they finished 9th. Just an awful day. And it was them. THEM!!!
2. The Mundy Game. Watched it in Paris. Saw the Mona Lisa that day. I drank wine and I moaned Mundy.
3. The Richo free. That was his moment to show for years to come. And some white maggot stole it.

The Cox prelims hurt but it was the perfect storm. Everything went wrong. But Dom Sheed made it 98% better.

Not drafting Brodie Grundy the biggest lose, I was seething.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
1. Carlton final when they finished 9th. Just an awful day. And it was them. THEM!!!
2. The Mundy Game. Watched it in Paris. Saw the Mona Lisa that day. I drank wine and I moaned Mundy.
3. The Richo free. That was his moment to show for years to come. And some white maggot stole it.

The Cox prelims hurt but it was the perfect storm. Everything went wrong. But Dom Sheed made it 98% better.

Not drafting Brodie Grundy the biggest lose, I was seething.
Agree on Grundy.I was dead keen on him but love Vlossy. :):cool:

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
I wa visiting from WA when Ablett kicked 13 against way back at The G. Lost by 13. Was with my late Tiger diehard father Dave.. With us my sister & her suffocating moggie luvving hubby. Besides that they sat in the DRY AREA full of pussies in their cattery finery, picnic baskets & thermos full of Liebfraumich (Mothers Milk).

14tempany

Tiger Rookie
Apr 12, 2009
All the games that meant so much to us ie our centernary, the jack dyer farewell, the tom hafey game - and to come out and perform so poorly each time was just soul destroying
The 150+ point thrashing by Geelong at Docklands - shattering
All the 9th finish games at the end of each season when all we had to do was scrounge a win and just could not do it
One of them was at Docklands again when someone just had to kick a point and we would have been in the finals but they could not even do that
That Melbourne one - they were already in the 8 so we had so much to play for and came out and it was all over in the first quarter
All those Essendon thrashings and there were heaps of them - we just could not beat them and it made it worse that Sheedy was their coach
The most galling was that game we beat them at the end of the season and then played them first final and yes!!! once again game over in the first 5 minutes
the 2009 season opener - season wasnt over after 2 hours it was after about 1 minute after a dropped panicky mark in the goal square - i just new it then
the preliminary final against Geelong and the Ablett chant
Dunstalls 17 goals - never got over that one and had to make the long trip home from Arctic Park