Hardwick and Hornsby | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hardwick and Hornsby

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Port Adelaide's Damien Hardwick has accused a Richmond runner of abusing him on-field, sparking the incident which earned him a $1,500 fine from the AFL Tribunal.

Hardwick told the tribunal Tigers runner Matt Hornsby had said to him: "Hardwick, you're a f***ing *smile*" during his side's win at AAMI Stadium on Saturday night.

He then ran after Hornsby and shouldered him in the back, with the AFL citing the Port hardman for misconduct.

Hardwick pleaded not guilty and launched a spirited defence of his reaction, suggesting Hornsby - who denied making any comment directly to the Port player - had no right to abuse him.

"The runner's job is to deliver a message to the team. When he opened his mouth, he made himself part of the game," Hardwick told the tribunal.

"If a player said that to me, I'd remonstrate.

"If a man on the street said that to me, I'd remonstrate.

"If the Prime Minister of Australia said that to me, I'd remonstrate.

"It doesn't give a runner a right to verbalise me just because he's wearing a green uniform.

"It was totally unnecessary for the runner to say that and out of his authority. It's not acceptable and I won't tolerate it."

Hornsby, a former Port runner, said he had not made any direct comment to Hardwick, who had just been involved in an altercation with Tigers defender Andrew Kellaway.

But he admitted telling Kellaway while delivering his message: "Forget about it, he's being a c***head" to try to cool the Richmond player down.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/25/1085461762045.html

I stumbled across this article tonight I thought it was pretty funny!

Matt Hornsby is now the clubs elite performance manager!

Just thought I would share that with everyone!

Tiger Matt

Tiger Cub
Aug 11, 2011
Harry said:
if only hardwick could be that tough as coach.

i got worried as soon as I heard the players saying how much of a good bloke he was. Same old problem. Start off as their mate and then when the heat is on they don't respect you.