When Brereton broke Tony Free's Leg | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

When Brereton broke Tony Free's Leg

Hetti

Tiger Cub
Mar 30, 2007
Does anyone recall when Brereton knocked Tony Free into the fence at the MCG so he broke his leg? It was next to the old Northern Stand. I saw it. But I can't remember the year / round. I want to put this information into the Wikipedia article on Brereton in order to indicate what a dog he was. My memory is that Tony Free's football never recovered from the assault from that preening scum.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yes, broken jaw just before half time, R19 1994. Freeza was the competition's leading kickgetter at that point. Played the game out but said he knew he was in trouble because his jaw was "making a clicking sound". Reporting umpire described the strike as "like a martial arts move". Only played a handful of games after that.

At one stage a few years later, Free was still refusing to speak to Brereton. Not sure whether or not he still bears a grudge.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Yes, broken jaw just before half time, R19 1994. Freeza was the competition's leading kickgetter at that point. Played the game out but said he knew he was in trouble because his jaw was "making a clicking sound". Reporting umpire described the strike as "like a martial arts move". Only played a handful of games after that.

At one stage a few years later, Free was still refusing to speak to Brereton. Not sure whether or not he still bears a grudge.

I wouldn't blame him if he did, it essentially destroyed his career.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
IanG said:
I wouldn't blame him if he did, it essentially destroyed his career.
Doing his knee on the members wing destroyed his career.

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

I remember another game in 89 when Dremie decked Freeza ,then hearing KB banging the Hawthorn yelling "You call yourself a Family Club!".
It was back when the MCG was covered in sand.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Pickers35 said:
I remember another game in 89 when Dremie decked Freeza ,then hearing KB banging the Hawthorn yelling "You call yourself a Family Club!".
It was back when the MCG was covered in sand.

I reckon that was Peter Czerkaski who got belted, and it may have been by Buckenara. I can remember that, but have probably got the names wrong

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
Punxsutawney Phil said:
I reckon that was Peter Czerkaski who got belted, and it may have been by Buckenara. I can remember that, but have probably got the names wrong
I think it was Chedda that day.I may have my games mixed up. :help

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Brereton broke Free's jaw in the later part of season 1994.

Free came back in 1995, but did his knee in the early Geelong game, I recall.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Phantom said:
Brereton broke Free's jaw in the later part of season 1994.

Free came back in 1995, but did his knee in the early Geelong game, I recall.
I took one of my kids to that Swans game , it was her first full match to see the Tigers . We were living o/s at the time . As I recall it the weather was awful and Dale Lewis played a blinder and kicked quite a few but we won fairly comfortably . My daughter thought her father had morphed into a monster when I went crazy over what Brereton did .

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

That brings back memories L2R2R

I also recall Freezer talking about the clicking noise.

LandyJessKeane

Tiger Rookie
Dec 21, 2004
Sintiger said:
I took one of my kids to that Swans game , it was her first full match to see the Tigers . We were living o/s at the time . As I recall it the weather was awful and Dale Lewis played a blinder and kicked quite a few but we won fairly comfortably . My daughter thought her father had morphed into a monster when I went crazy over what Brereton did .

Jamie Lawson also broke his leg that game and the game lost an exciting player. Yeah I remember the weather it was a typical winter day where we won easily.

Northey had a real go at Brereton.

I remember Brereton on his Ernie Sigley gig sitting there like a major tosser calling Northey and idiot on Monday.