Have faith in the selection panel | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Have faith in the selection panel

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm not surprised the majority of people don't think Kingy should have been selected this week but I'd be interested to hear reasons why.

Is it because he's a player not likely to be there next year?
My personal opinion is the club has a duty at this stage of the season to pick the 22 players on the list who they think will do the best job for the RFC in any given week.
If they think Kingy can do something to benefit this weeks team more that say Hyde etc can, then I think it's correct they select him.

Is it because he's been in bad form this year?
He's been back at Coburg for that, and hopefully has done enough to justify his recall. The club obviously think he's the best option available. They have said all along that Schulz and McGrath aren't ready for senior footy yet.

The critisisms of Kingy were also used on Houlihan earlier on and he's a top 22 player now.
They were used against Bidders and he certainly did his bit to justify selection.
They are used on Dunc but he'll probably prove doubters wrong too. Danny has said he can't wait to have him back in the team.

I just think we should show some faith in the selection comittee. The team isn't travelling too badly considering the limited players available for selection at the moment.

Kingy is in the selected team and I for one hope he has a good game.

Yeah, have faith , give him a go, if successful great gets another game, if not back to Coburg.
Has come off a good performance at Coburg, think should be running into good form with more game time.
Good luck Kingy prove those Knockers wrong !

Yeah, have faith , give him a go, if successful great gets another game, if not back to Coburg.
Has come off a good performance at Coburg, think should be running into good form with more game time.
Good luck Kingy prove those Knockers wrong !

We will see how good the likes of Bidderscum and Queen are when they are under pressure from quality opposition. Like in previous years, they will melt like butter.
So far the selectors have done the right thing in leaving Duncan at Coburg.

diggler makes a good point.

IMHO the selection of King is an indication of how poor our recruiting if kids has been over the past few years. 4 rookies in 2 drafts is not good enough for a club that has made 2 finals appearances in 20 years.

The selection committee will get what they deserve if they rely upon King Biddiscombe etc.

TigerFurious said:
diggler makes a good point.

What is it? ?

TigerFurious said:
The selection committee will get what they deserve if they rely upon King Biddiscombe etc.

Why do you guys keep harping on about past recruiting etc.
Noone denies there is a lot of scope for improvement. Hopefully at the end of the season things will get better in that dept.
Until then the selection panel has to choose a competitive team from the players we have on the list THIS year, whether they will be there next year or not.

We have two young players sitting in Coburg trying their heart out waiting for a game. We the mushroom supporters are told they are too young and need more time .But behind closed doors those at the top tell each other if we give Marty a full game his match payments go up to a extra 5000 a year PS walls have ears. ;D ;D ;D

the selection panel has done so well this year but what were they seriously thinking by picking king????? i mean ok so he had 21 posessions in the reserves last week but how many of them were actually effective?....... king is the only player i know who can pin point a spectator from 40m away............

I have to agree with the selectors on McGrath. I was at a function at Punt Road on wednesday night and all the players were in attendance. Clinton King looks like Mr Universe in comparisom with McGrath. He may have a big leap, but he will never make it as an AFL player with his major defiency. Lack of height. He is smaller than Krackouer for goodness sake.
Our side lacks height still, so why was Schulz dropped for that dud Clinton Queen? Doesnt make sense.

Get ya hand of it Diggles. Do you really think it's as simple as dropping Jay for Kingy?

They are different players and do different things in a team.

Hopefully the club would select each player for what the team needs in a given game.

If the coaches consider the team lacks a tall forward they'd be stupid to select Clinton ahead of Schulz.

If they need a smaller player who can get in and get the ball off the ground or negate an opposition player they'd be silly to select Schulz for the job ahead of Clinton.

I'm sure Kingy is there for a reason, not as a token selection just to show the stupidity of supporters who think they know more than the coaching panel. ;D

King has had 20+ possessions in our last 3 three games against Melbourne. The Demons lack of in and under players means he doesn't get knocked of the ball like he does against other sides who do.

Shultz was omitted for Richo not King.

Welcome to PuntRoadEnd, PRR :).

McGrath is actually quite taller than Krakouer, however thats not the point. If what Zacs56 says is correct then it is very unprofessional by the club. However I just want to say one thing about McGrath. The kid has definately got talent however from the sounds of things it appears that he isnt motivated for some reason. I hope that the coaching staff can somehow instill some motivation in him. I suppose if I were McGrath I would also be disheartened if I saw duds like pettifer and king etc. getting a senior call up ahead of me week in week out ;D Perhaps a senior call up is all he needs to spark him. People will say that he needs to earn his spot in the team by good performances in the reserves, however IMO its only a small gamble that might pay huge dividends - cos the kids got talent. He won't perform worse than Pettifer anyway.

diggler said:
Our side lacks height still, so why was Schulz dropped for that dud Clinton Queen? Doesnt make sense.
once again diggler you have made a clown of yourself.
IN:richarson[tall]
OUTschultz[tall].

zacs56 said:
But behind closed doors those at the top tell each other if we give Marty a full game his match payments go up to a extra 5000 a year PS walls have ears. ;D ;D ;D

What the......

No make that what a load of absolute pure grade crap.

In the immortal words of one of my old accounting lecturers....

ARE YOU SERIOUS OR HAVE YOU HAD A LOBOTOMY ???

Sorry everyone - but this is one of the craziest things I have ever read.

And good point Diggles! Marty does make Clinton King look like Arnie I reckon. Oh BTW who were you ;)