He Needs Time At Coburg | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

He Needs Time At Coburg

T

tiga chikk

Rory, Rory, Rory
What More can i say

Rory Hilton needs time in the two's. He's just not up to the standard that we all know he is capable of and what is really needed when playing at the level that these guys play at each week. Theres guys down at Coburg (eg Chris Hyde) that are busting there guts out each week to try and make it in the seniors an their are even guys in the seniors who work their buts off just to stay there (eg Royce Vardy) and then there are those like Rory who take advantage of being named week in week out.

I know heaps of people have said this but truley unles Danny and the selection commitee read this board and listen to the supporters what can be done???

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
You can throw peticoat and hand grenade in that list also.

Speaking to the Fonze yesterday about petiffer - he likened Pettifers footballing talent to Ralph Malph's talent with the opposite sex ;D. He's a funny man that Fonze.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Haven't seen the Eagles game as I don't have foxtel, but based on this season you're probably right. However, I wouldn't drop him simply because of our injury plight. I don't think Hyde is AFL standard, and I don't think there are many other options in the Coburg side at the moment. What's more, there are a few blokes I'd drop before Rory - Pettifer being the stark raving obvious choice. Can anyone ever remember a guy being given more chances than Kayne for absolutely zero return?? Fair dinkum, I think I can count about 3 good quarters out of this bloke in his whole career.

If Blumfield, Holland, Ottens, Coughlan, Hall and Stafford became available, then yes, Rory would be in VFL.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
And Ralph is a bit of alright. ;D

There is a fundamental problem with dropping players like Rory. Who do we have to replace them at the moment?

We have a reduced list of 36. Without working it out we've probably got 10 players unavailable because of injury or being on the comeback trail from injury.

That would leave about 26 players to pick a team of 22 out of.

It's a terrible situation to be in, and the selection panel have their hands tied at the moment.

I certainly hope when we have a full list available again that the coaching panel takes a good look at who hasn't put in when it was vital that all 22 selected players carried their weight.

It's never a good situation if players can be selected automatically without having to earn their spot.

T

tiga chikk

Tigerblood said:
Pettifer being the stark raving obvious choice. Can anyone ever remember a guy being given more chances than Kayne for absolutely zero return?? Fair dinkum, I think I can count about 3 good quarters out of this bloke in his whole career.

This i have to disagree with. how can anyone make a stance in a game when they are playing off the bench for no longer then 10 minutes at a time. When Kayne does get the ball least he does something with the ball eg a goal on the weekend.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I had a quick think about our injured players, or those coming from injury and this is the list I came up with, there could even be others.

Of a reduced list of 36 these are all either injured, under an injury cloud, or have not been ready for selection because of coming back from injury.
All we can hope for is that the players available give 100% until things improve.

Staff
Razor
Otto
Dutchy
Dunc
Cogs
Campbo
Mills
Fleming
Blumfield
Nicholls

And Dragga who I forgot.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Well tc can you see now why Rory is in the team. I'm sure if things were perfect he'd probably benefit from a game or two at Coburg. We all know what he's capable of even though he's a bit down on form.

Kayne Pettifer is another story, he's never even shown what he's capable of. In all the games he's played he has never once put his mark on a game. He's never even shown what he's capable of at Coburg yet, let alone in the seniors. A very poor effort and about time he pulled his finger out and did something to justify his spot.

At the moment Richmond need it bigtime.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Rosy - you can't use injuries as an excuse to play players that are not contributing. We have young players that haven't had a go waiting for their chance. They can't be worse than golden boy pettifer.

Spoke to the Fonze while he was fixing my car the other day and he said that he is confident that Miller is the man thats gonna fix the club. All he needs, however is a white t-shirt and a leather jacket. ;D.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Well maybe in an ideal world Harry, but they do have to select 22 players and who's available?

Not a lot of choice when there are so few to choose from.

If Schulz and McGrath are not ready yet that makes the list even less. And it's no good going on here how they should be played. None of us knows better than the club if they are right or not.

I said ages ago i was disappointed when Hyde got dropped for Pettifer. Chris actually had a bit of a crack in his game.
I'd like to see how he'd come on if he got all the chances Kayne's had.

Other than players coming in or going out from injury I'd love to see Hyde in and Pettifer out. Can't see it happening though, and I suspect Chris might never get a real chance to show what he's made of.

I think from memory Chris has been named in the best for Coburg a few times.

Anyway we can see it how we like, none of us has the inside info of whats happening like the honchos at the club do. They've done ok so far so we've gotta have faith that things stay on track untill we have a full list again.

Go Tiges.

P

PuntRoadRoar

i think you guys are too harsh on kayne, after all he is a kid.

maybe he needs to go back to the twos, but then i personally feel he just needs to spend more time in the seniors.

the player im most disappointed in is king! now theres a guy who should be in the twos before anyone in the current 22! he needs to practise his kicking.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
PuntRoadRoar said:
i think you guys are too harsh on kayne, after all he is a kid.

maybe he needs to go back to the twos, but then i personally feel he just needs to spend more time in the seniors.

Kayne has 25 games under his belt, averaging 5-6 posessions per game and .6 of a goal per game.

That is a prolonged period of selection for very little result, and certainly not up to AFL standard.

My personal thinking is that he's spent most of his time since under 18's in the senior team not getting a touch. I don't see how a kid can improve and develop if he doesn't get a good run and get his hands on the ball a lot more than that. IMO he'd have to benefit from a few games at Coburg.

Does anyone know how the rookies are going this year? I know Shir was injured, but did he show much before that?

I'm surprised we didn't promote anyone when we had the long term injuries.

Maybe we simply couldn't afford it or maybe the guys aren't quite up to it yet.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
The only decent game from Pettifer so far this season was against the Bummers where he had 17 touches. He only seems to play well when we have a game in control.
He went back to his usual poor performing self in the close one against the D's and followed it up with another shocker on the weekend when we really needed him to stand up and be counted. DROP HIM NOW!! :mad:

I have been critical of Hiltons recent form but I wouldn't tar him with the same brush as Pettifer because Rory can actually play. He just needs to re focus and get some will to win back. I was calling for him to be dropped but due to the ammount of injuries we have at the moment he needs to stay in the 1's as there is no one ready to fill his spot.

As for Pettifer's position, a couple of my Auskicker's would be more than happy to take the step up and show him how to play! ;D

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
hilton needs to pull his finger out really.if he thinks that because we have so many out he will get a game then he,s only bringing the sword down on himself.so much talent but he hasnt got the mental capacity to use it.TRADE.

pettifer is just plain scared.he makes up this by throwing his wieght around when the ball is dead.TRADE/DELISTED.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
KPettifer had a chance on Saturday night to show us something. In the 3rd quarter he had a chance to put his body on the line between the flight of the ball and the leading Eagles player (Haynes I think) and he didn't. Can you imagine what we would have been talking about if he had ???

But there was a match up I would have loved. KPettifer -our No. 1 DS -v- Phil Matera the Eagles No. 1 DS. Actually I reckon little Phil could have given KP lessons. And that is saying something ;D

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
Does anyone know how the rookies are going this year? I know Shir was injured, but did he show much before that?

Everyone knows what a big rap I am for Matt Shir so I will leave him out of the equation. It is just unfortante that he has suffered OP and then the thigh injury. He was absolutely flying before then ;) Oops sorry no more on Matt

Kelvin Moore has incredible skills but is very light on. I think the Club views him as a long term project.

Pickering - what I have seen of him at Coburg I have been disappointed. He seems very slow. Lubering in fact.

The plan with promoting rookies was to see how they went first and then decide. I don't think Pickering has come on the way we were hoping. Shir's been injured and Moore - he just is big enough at this stage.

But I think it is fair to say that these 3 players are playing for a place on next years seniors list. Seeing the Club has the option of promoting rookies to the senior list beofre the draft. How many I don't know - but I am pushing for Matt Shir ;D

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I think all these injuries are helping to expose the playing list for what some think it to be. We will just have to sit tight until we can do something about it over the next season or two.

In the meantime, the reason I would have liked the Club to take risks with some of the younger players is for the situation we find ourselves in right now. When we were going ok, we could have played some younger players earlier in the season and sent some other players back to Coburg to find some form.

Instead, we now have the situation where Rory has had no form, probably for most of the season, but we virtually have no choice but to play him - form or no form. And unless players come up this week, we may now find ourselves in a situation where we have to throw young players into the deep end, when they may have had the opportunity of playing some games prior to now.

We can do this when we are going ok, but we prefer to wait until we have no choice. I don't see how that can be considered a winning mentality. No use crying over spilt milk, but something doesn't make sense to me.

Either we think getting on the front foot is too risky, we just don't have the players to warrant selection at this stage, or something else altogether.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Who can actually be considered for selection??

Assuming Campbell, Hall and Coughlan all miss as expected:

Hilton
Gaspar
D Kellaway
Rogers
Chaffey
Dragicevic
Pettifer
Stafford
Bowden
Richardson
Fiora
Cameron
Rodan
King
Biddiscombe
Sipthorp
Schulz
Krakouer
Johnson
McGrath
Hyde
Tivendale
Newman
Zantuck
A Kellaway
Vardy
Houlihan

Thats 27 player to pick 22 from.

The club have no real plans to pick McGrath or Dragicevic this year, and obviously wont pick Schulz unless presented with no other choice.

That leaves 24

Sipthorp has been in the Coburg 2nds recently, so he isnt really an option.

That leaves us 23 players to pick 22 from, assuming Stafford can play.

Worrying times.

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
Rory's been disappointing all year. He started off badly when he was up against Woewodin in Round 1 and was absolutley towelled, either he was told to play wide of Woewodin or he was incapable (more likely) of tagging him. A very crucial battle considering how depleted the Collingwood midfield was that night and Hilton let the side down.

For a few weeks, Hilton showed some promise as a half-back flanker but he has really fallen away in the last month or so - he's been both lazy and uninspired - not a good combo.

He's just a player that I don't have any confidence in when he's in possession. A classic example was the game against Essendon when he had the ball on the wing but seemed completely unaware that an Essendon player was coming from the side to tackle him - it was as if he was daydreaming. As a result, the Bombers got one of their very few goals for the afternoon.

His career's in serious doubt at the end of the season if things don't improve.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
It's true that we are in no position to be picking and choosing who stays in the team with our injury worries, but I really do feel that Rory needs a spell. Who we bring in may not play as good as Rory does but I just hate to see insipid lack lustre performances from tiger players. Not only is Rory playing badly but he is setting a bad example for the younger players at the club by showing disinterest. A team relies on the all for one and one for all principle, and when you see one of your team mates not trying, it really destroys team morale.

Sure players like Pettifer are doing less that Rory is, but Rory is now a senior player, and its just not good enough to be taking a Pettifer-esque mentality into the game. I've been keeping a special eye on Rory over the last month and he has been full of head wagging, shoulder drooping and head slouching. Even worse than the fact that his mannerisms have been negative is that he has been giving up on chases, bumping instead of tackling and taking his eye off the ball and looking to square up or hurt opponents.

He is a talented player and is capable of much more that what he is showing. I just feel that he needs a bit of time in the 2's to reassess what is happening and decide whether he wants to be part of the team. Hope to see the real Rory back soon.