Household Debt | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Household Debt

B

Bill James

glantone said:
Last week the abc reported that since 1980 or thereabouts, the average wage had risen by about 100%, the median house price by about 400%.

Regardless of what structural changes have occurred to a ‘median priced house’ since the early 80’s, if your spending power is less buying a house (without being check mated by a bank for the next 25) - can’t be getting easier.

And interest rates are half what they were in the 1980s. For most people buying a house (they are the ones setting the price) interest is the major component of loan repayments so the ratio is not unexpected. But for me still not comforting.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
I loved the stat that had 80% of kids expect their parents to help them get into a house, and (off memory for this one) around 40-50% expected zero to heavily subsidized rent while they live at home to save up for a deposit.

What is it with this handout generation? I don't understand how people cannot have money for a deposit, yet spend $100 a night when out on the town downing lolly water mixers.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
I loved the stat that had 80% of kids expect their parents to help them get into a house, and (off memory for this one) around 40-50% expected zero to heavily subsidized rent while they live at home to save up for a deposit.

What is it with this handout generation? I don't understand how people cannot have money for a deposit, yet spend $100 a night when out on the town downing lolly water mixers.

You've got to enjoy life while you can I guess.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
An interesting little article on interest rates vs housing affordability.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/08/1999290.htm