Kraka-Jack in the slammer? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kraka-Jack in the slammer?

rickyvaughn99

Tiger Rookie
Nov 4, 2007
Melbourne
Did I just hear right? Krakeour off to jail for his part in that assault that took place in Perth a while back?

If that is his first offence, they must have really done a good job on the guy to land himself in jail.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Andrew Krakouer jailed for nightclub attack
Todd Cardy, court reporter
July 30, 2008 11:15am
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24100336-948,00.html

FORMER AFL star Andrew Krakouer has been jailed for a minimum of 16 months for a vicious and brutal assault outside a Fremantle nightclub.

District Court Judge Kate O'Brien today sentenced the 25-year-old ex-Richmond Tiger for bashing 24-year-old Justin Martin by kicking him in the head and upper body during a fist fight on December 22 2006.

His brother Tyrone Krakouer will join him behind bars, also being sentenced today to a minimum eight months for his part in the assault.

Father and football great Jimmy Krakouer sat quietly in the public gallery of the court but left clearly saddened by the jailing of his two sons, tell waiting media that he was disappointed with the result.

“I am pretty disappointed,” he told reporters. “You know. We’ve all been in trouble when we’re young. For a first offender to be done like that, well, that’s the way the court saw it. They’ll be okay.”

Jimmy Krakouer, who served 16 years for drugs offences while the boys were growing up, believed his high-profile son would be okay in jail, saying: “Jail is tough for everybody.

“He’s a strong boy. He’ll just keep positive – their minds are pretty positive,” he said.

Jimmy Krakouer said the case had been “pretty tough” on his family and he did not know whether Andrew would play football again but the support of his former club had been strong.

“Richmond has been good,” he said. “A lot of people have been supportive of Andrew and Tyrone so they will be okay.”

Andrew Krakouer faced 20 years jail after a jury found him guilty of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm in June.

Today he was sentenced to four years jail with the term cut to 32 months under the state's truth in sentencing laws.

He is eligible for parole in 16 months with the term backdated to June 18 this year.

Tyrone Krakouer was sentenced to a maximum 16 months in prison, with a minimum eight months.

The court heard the fight was sparked after Krakouer wanted to “settle the score” with Mr Martin after the two were involved in a fight six years ago in which he was “king-hit”.

Andrew Krakouer coerced Mr Martin into a fight, then chased Mr Martin down when he fled.

Mr Martin suffered a broken eye socket, and extensive cuts and bruising that triggered a kidney disorder, which lead to a seizure and he being in intensive care for two weeks.

Judge O'Brien described the attack as "vicious and cowardly" and said people going about their daily lives in Fremantle did not deserve to see such "mindless violence".

A large number of glowing reference were today submitted to the court on Krakouer's behalf, including a full statement from the Richmond Tigers football team, which detailed his leadership skills and mentoring abilities.

Judge O'Brien said from the evidence it appeared that Andrew Krakouer had acted "out of character" and it “remained a mystery” why he acted the way he did.

“The attack was unprovoked, persistent and brutal. It seems to be out of your nature, Andrew Krakouer," Judge O'Brien said.

Before the sentence was handed down Andrew Krakouer made a personal statement to the judge.

“I would just like to say, you honour, I am remorseful and I am sorry,” Krakouer told the court. “I would certainly change what happened but I can't.

“It has been devastating for my family. I am so remorseful.”

The court heard that an immediate jail sentence would be devastating for his football career and he had a low chance of reoffending.

“Football provided a stable influence on your life and without this you anticipate life may prove challenging for you", Judge O'Brien said.

Lawyers for the Krakouers had called for suspended jail terms but Judge O’Brien said the assault was too serious and general deterrence was needed.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
One Pre poster will be doing cartwheels over this.
In fact he,ll probally call the judge a Dud for not giving Krak a longer sentence.

the golden

former hawk cheersquad feral : D
Nov 20, 2004
in the gold
s6.invisionfree.com
very sad , i remember when you got him and thought he would be a gun for you guys . not knowing this would happen :'( i hope that he can get his life together after this and maybe see if he can get back into footy - is he still contracted at tigers ? or did they delist him ? as he had not been there long when it happened ?

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Jason King said:
Typical justice system. Who knows what goes through these judges minds.

Seems a pretty fair sentence to me. He was lucky not to be facing a manslaughter charge.
Hope he can turn his life around when he gets out of the clink.
Sad story for all involved.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
scottyturnerscurse said:
Seems a pretty fair sentence to me. He was lucky not to be facing a manslaughter charge.
Hope he can turn his life around when he gets out of the clink.
Sad story for all involved.

The bloke that killed David Hooks didnt get any jail time. It just puzzles me that aboriginal kids always seem to get the rough end of the pineapple.

Granted, If andrew did hunt the guy down and beat him when he was trying to defend himself then i guess intent is really what did it for the judge.

Chocco

All heart
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
It's a joke, I really feel for Krak, from what I hear he was defending his younger brother. I just hope it doesn't effect his life, I had met him a few times when he was at RFC and he is a really nice person. There are fights like this every night in Melbourne and all the culprits get off scott free.

And it's really disgusting that some of you guys are actually celebrating the fact that a Tiger person has to serve 16 months prison time.

the golden

former hawk cheersquad feral : D
Nov 20, 2004
in the gold
s6.invisionfree.com
Chocco said:
It's a joke, I really feel for Krak, from what I hear he was defending his younger brother. I just hope it doesn't effect his life, I had met him a few times when he was at RFC and he is a really nice person. There are fights like this every night in Melbourne and all the culprits get off scott free.

And it's really disgusting that some of you guys are actually celebrating the fact that a Tiger person has to serve 16 months prison time.

sorry to say this but the story is not quite defending his brother

don't get me wrong i feel for him too here is a a bit of the story in the sun

The court heard the fight was sparked after Krakouer wanted to “settle the score” with Mr Martin after the two were involved in a fight six years ago in which he was “king-hit”.

Andrew Krakouer coerced Mr Martin into a fight, then chased Mr Martin down when he fled.

Mr Martin suffered a broken eye socket, and extensive cuts and bruising that triggered a kidney disorder, which lead to a seizure and he being in intensive care for two weeks.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24100336-948,00.html

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
One Pre poster will be doing cartwheels over this.
In fact he,ll probally call the judge a Dud for not giving Krak a longer sentence.
damn right madcow a pathetic sentence for a gutless cowardly sustained vicious attack. 16months he will be out he should have got 20yrs.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Jason King said:
The bloke that killed David Hooks didnt get any jail time. It just puzzles me that aboriginal kids always seem to get the rough end of the pineapple.

Granted, If andrew did hunt the guy down and beat him when he was trying to defend himself then i guess intent is really what did it for the judge.
oh great so and so got away with killing someone lets let krakouer of because hes black. two wrongs dont make a right.black brown or brindle a jail term was appropriate.
laughing my head of out of character. the krakouers and martins have been feuding for yrs.i wonder if that was mentioned in court.

TheBigDog

The Champ is here!!
Nov 8, 2004
Melbourne
I saw the footage on Ch 9 news, looks to me Tyrone can look after himself.......he would hold Andy out to pi55.
Big Boy.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
benny_furs said:
Wasn't it a one on one street fight at first? Shirts off and everything?

If that's the case then why did Tyrone get done as well ?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It is a shame. Never rated Krak as a footballer but met him once or twice and seemed like a good fella. Got a photo with my then 6 month old son and Krak, Rodan and Tambo as well. But as they say, do the crime do the time. Can't go around putting people in comas and not expect any ramifications, notwithstanding the bloke who belted Hookes got off scot free somehow. That was a disgrace.

He's young enough to set things right when he gets out.

Silent Bob

Tiger Superstar
Nov 7, 2003
Apparently they thrashed the guy into unconsciousness, began to walk off, then turned around and gave him some more. Pretty gutless act. Would have got porridge regardless of his skin colour. Crying shame considering he's got a young family.

*Note to all young men on PRE - Ego and a gut full of p!ss is a very dangerous combination.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
benny_furs said:
Wasn't it a one on one street fight at first? Shirts off and everything?

Fair game to me. Long sentence for a first offender and he's only getting it because he won the fight.

The other guy had exactly the same motives.

Thats what I had read awhile back, but the judge appears to have looked at the final part of the fight. I don't know what evidence was given though

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
the claw said:
damn right madcow a pathetic sentence for a gutless cowardly sustained vicious attack. 16months he will be out he should have got 20yrs.

You know that we talking about Andy K and not Greg Miller right?

Sorry, not a topic to make light of I know.