How to hide your IP address | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How to hide your IP address

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Hi,
Just wanted to know how you can hide your IP address when surfing the net. I see many people pick it up & warn you this or the other as a gimick. Is there something we can do to block it being read by other s when basic surfing.

ta
Al

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Al, it is very difficult to disguise your IP address. It is the core part of your internet communication. If you are on a dialup account it will generally change every time you logon anyway.
Most ADSL ISP's also use this method but if you have cable, I'm pretty sure your IP address remains static. Whilst your IP address is visible, you can hide your router or modem and prevent it from being pinged or trace routed. Unless you have a registered public static IP address, there is no other information associated with the IP address that people can use against you unless you are doing something illegal.

Always remember to use a firewall to block any unwanted attemps to access your internal network especially if you are on adsl or Cable. XP has a built in software firewall but investing $200 in a hardware firewall will make a huge difference.

If you need more information just let me know.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Thanks Tiga.. I am looking at the end of the year going to cable & have seen some of friends with basic firewalls get hammere. I will be in touch when time comes to look at maximising protection. I run XP & Norton Firewall with a dialup at the moment.

Thanks for clearlying that up for me.

Hammerfire

The Devils Advocate of PRE!!
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
Though editing your IP address is considered illegal in some countries, not sure about here though.