I haven't been gagged: Frawley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

I haven't been gagged: Frawley

P

PuntRoadRoar

I haven't been gagged: Frawley
3:13:57 PM Wed 18 June, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au
Richmond coach Danny Frawley says the decision to cut back on his public commitments in 2003 is helping his coaching, saying in no way has he been gagged by the club.

Frawley, speaking exclusively to richmondfc.com.au on Wednesday, said the decision to limit his speaking engagements this season has enabled him to spend more time coaching the team.

There has been much debate this season over Frawley – renowned for his heart on the sleeve approach over the first three years of his coaching tenure at Richmond – being virtually an ‘invisible coach’ in terms of public appearances in 2003.

Throughout the season he has usually spoken to the media only after matches and during one training session – usually on the Friday before a game.

However Frawley revealed on Wednesday he was enjoying the change saying in no way has it restricted his role in any way.

“It’s the way I want it, I like it that way,” he said.

“For me it’s been really good, it’s allowed me to focus more on the team without external pressures.”

Frawley said he felt his public profile was far too high during 2002 as his team struggled to match its heroics of 2001 when the Tigers reached the preliminary final.

And he said this was primarily a result of doing too many media conferences which heightened the chances of any comment he made being blown out of proportion.

“I just did far too much last year,” he said.

“I was making comments on different issues other than on my team and being asked about 2000 questions every time I spoke.

“Then just you might answer a little bit inconsistently in relation to one question and that gets highlighted.”

Frawley has cancelled his weekend off this week – after seeing his side lose its past four matches to slump from third to ninth – and instead will watch six of his players Rory Hilton, Adam Houlihan, Kayne Pettifer, Craig Biddiscombe, Tim Fleming and David Rodan play for the club’s VFL affiliate Coburg on Saturday.

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
Captain Blood said:
A sensible move of Spuds to steer clear of the media circus.
He's too honest and he speaks from the heart so a lot of his comments may not come across in the best light for the club.
It's refreshing there are still some genuine people in the AFL and a pity they get picked to pieces by the vultures but better that someone like Greg Miller takes care of the public speaking at Tigerland.

Does he need someone to change his nappies aswell ;D

Omarkum

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 19, 2003
I noted your " whiskers on your toga " line at the end of your post. I remember this from around the years 64 and 65 .. i not heard it since. Is it still used behind the goals and when did you first hear it.

thanks
Omarkum