I need to buy a new computer | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

I need to buy a new computer

tiggytam

Welcome to Tigerland
May 1, 2003
Melbourne
I am just after some suggestions on what sort of specifications I should be looking at ie memory, hard drive, processor speed etc.

I really only use my computer for email, surfing the net (well if the truth be known I don't have anytime to surf the net cos I spend all the time in PRE) ;D I don't play computer games, download music or movies and can't really see myself doing that in the future if that makes any difference.

I don't want to pay a fortune but I also don't want to be having to upgrade in another 12 months either. I am on dial-up at the moment but do hope to go to broadband soon.

Is anyone able to offer any suggestions.

We always buy computers and parts off these guys, never had a problem that wasn't fixed http://www.newtech.com.au/

Their $595 Pentium 3000 should have everything you need

That price is without monitor, which I presume you have.

They are a small shop and give good service, I wouldn't touch any of the big guys with a barge pole.

PM us if you want to know more

I actually started with a Celeron, a bit cheaper and worked ok.

check out the prices at www.msy.com.au

dont know any other computer shop that is cheaper.

they have some great packages available and are always happy to answer any questions.

My advice is not to get sucked into adding all the latest gear, highest speed processor, largest hard drive, fastest video card, etc, especially in the belief that you may need that power in 6 months time. In six months time those extras you added when you bought the computer will be half the cost.

TC said:
We always buy computers and parts off these guys, never had a problem that wasn't fixed http://www.newtech.com.au/

Their $595 Pentium 3000 should have everything you need

That price is without monitor, which I presume you have.

They are a small shop and give good service, I wouldn't touch any of the big guys with a barge pole.

PM us if you want to know more

I actually started with a Celeron, a bit cheaper and worked ok.

Well done TC.
On Saturday morning I took your advice and went down to Newtech.
But since it was for home use only I bought the Celeron 2400 version instead for $440, including all charges.

A great deal, TC, all because of you.
Thank you.