Injuries aside, what a shocking performance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Injuries aside, what a shocking performance

Mikee

Will we ever get there?
Feb 21, 2003
Melbourne
Whilst it is obvious that we were pretty badly depleted with our injuries, especially with the late withdrawels of Stafford & Coughlan, this does not excuse how bad we were tonight. I watched the match live on Fox Footy and the scoreboard flattered us IMO. Had the Eagles kicked straighter, we could easily have lost by 80+ points.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but the most dissapointing thing for me was the fact that we were second to the ball all night. We were reactive to everything. We were just chasing Eagles asses all night. We never had numbers around the ball, always outnumbered at nearly every contest. It's like Frawley instructed the players to just play negative and tag their respective opponent. They won nearly every ball at throw-ins, bounces, etc... Why didn't we back ourselves to win the ball? It reminded me of the Rich V Hawks first quarter where we let the Hawks win the ball at will. The amount of times the Eagles took the ball from their defence to to the forward line, unopposed and kick a goal was a joke. It was like we had no idea out there. We really got exposed for our lack of leg speed. They were always miles in front of us, had acres of space every time they had the ball.

Big test this week against the Swans. Need to play alot more proactive not re-active footy. Try to win the f$%^%& ball instead watching our opponents all night.

Not happy Jan.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Not much you can do Mikee when you are conceding the ruck at every stoppage. You have to ruck to the opposing Ruckman's taps, and that's automatically going to put you on the back foot.

I was dissapointed with the fact however that no one hardly came over the top to punch the ball from boundary throw ins and ball ups around the ground. We basically waited for Gardiner and Cox to do as they liked in the ruck "contests". Gaspar tried to punch once, but he missed the ball (unco) and it went straight to his opponent Jakovich who kicked a goal.

Like I've said here before, ultimately you can't expect to win games missing 5 of your top 10 players. I just can't believe for the life of me that we didn't take another tall along. It's like rocking up to the office forgetting to put your pants on. WTF were they thinking?

sammy gal

JEALOUSY IS A MAJOR CURSE.........SUCKERS!!!
May 22, 2003
GEE YOU HAD FIVE PLAYERS MISSING...FUNNY THAT , SO DID WE ;D

1.PHIL READ

2.DANIEL CHICK

3.TROY WILSON

4.JOSH WOODEN

5.MICHAEL COLLICA

LOOKS LIKE IT WAS A FAIR FIGHT BOYS.......WHATS YOUR NEXT EXCUSE GONNA BE? ;D

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Yeah but how many of them are injuries SG, not just omissioss because of form.

Most of those you mention would struggle to make it into the current side on current form.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Eagles are one of the Form sides of the Competition.

Just wonder how you would have faired without;

GARDNER
COX
COUSINS
KERR
JACKOVICH (or however you spell it)

Now that would make it a bit more even.

No excuses, but see you at the MCG when we have a full team and I am sure the result maybe just a little closer.

I am not making rash statements, but.......he who laughs last laughs loudest.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
hey sammy gal who the heck are half those players????? Get a life you moron!!!! Try these for size!!!

Ottens
Holland
Coughlan(top 5 midfielder at the moment)
Stafford(top 2 ruckmen at the moment)
Hall
Campbell
Blumfield
All the players would walk into any side!!!! Go back to perth you loser!!!!!

Never going to win with vardy in ruck and king in the middle!!!! Not their fault tried but just arent good enough!!!!

Why shulz didnt go??????Mcgrath????D.Kellaway???

Really pointed out how much we miss coughlan hardness and in and under ball winning!!! Our midfield still needs an extra hard midfielder incase of injuries!!! Still have a long way to go, but getting there!!!!
Playing west coast in subiaco in their current form, was always impossible even with full list!!! Anyone would have lost sat night, even brisbane!!!! Still early!!! Let them peak, and when they get a few injuries come september we will be ha ha ing!!!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Well look who's back, To think I was accused of banning you fud, ha. ;)

Maybe this was the loss the Message Board had to have. Far more posts than after a win. ;D

Anyway Sammy that game was soooooo yesterday. :rollin

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ken ackers

I'm a llama!
May 26, 2003
In response:

Ottens: great player, great great player. Big big loss.
Holland: come on, he is okay, quite important to Richmond but no different to the importance of Gaspar to our side. Even.
Coughlan(top 5 midfielder at the moment): big loss, call him D Chick and we are even. (Chick has been very important this year).
Stafford(top 2 ruckmen at the moment): Loss of a player in form, thats 2 down.
Hall: A loss only becuase the other 2 rucks were out. Would not get a game in any other team as stated. Is servicable at best.
Campbell: Big loss, very influential player but a little less consistent than he should be
Blumfield: Yet to prove himself at Richmond

While Collica and Read are not great players, they are integral to our side and add great resolve in defense.

So lets just call it 2, meybe 3 players. It would have made it closer no doubt but at home the eagles have been too strong even for great sides like Brisbane. Next time we play in Victoria will be a different story IMHO but we are a young side getting better all the time so I would not count your chickens too soon my friends.

PS. I would happily be without Cox - we have more ruckmen than you could poke a stick at just itching to get on the park. Maybe next time we could lend you a few ;)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
ken ackers said:
Coughlan(top 5 midfielder at the moment): big loss, call him D Chick and we are even. (Chick has been very important this year).

Chick equal to Coughlan. You're kidding aren't ya! Chick plays well in a good side (as WC is at the moment) but goes missing otherwise as he did at Hawthorn. Cogs is one of the top 5 midfielders in the AFL at the moment.

ken ackers

I'm a llama!
May 26, 2003
My good friend mightytiges - while we are all prone to bias for our own players I must say that while I think coughlan is a fantastic kid, he is not one of the top 5 midfielders in the AFL just yet. Just a quick look at say the Sun player award has him about 7th or 8th in the votes for midfielders (needless to say a fantastic effort for a youngster) this fitting in behind Embley and Fletcher of WCE. Chick, while not being a ball magnet by any means has been extremely important to our side this year. This man has been the catalyst for many of our wins , as much as any other player. Just as Gardiner will not get 30 touches but help win the game, so can Chick. My point being that he is a very important part of our team because he fills a role that we dont have. Without him we are a much less difficult opposition. So I meant no insult comparing him to a fantastic talent like Coughlan, I mearly was talking about comparitive effect on the team as a whole, and AFL IS a team sport. Further to this, Chick had a bad season last year no doubt, but he is not a player who just plays well in a good side, he is a player who makes a good side and it could just as easily be said his poor season was one of the reasons that Hawthorn were so poor last year.

Tigers are a better side than I expected this year...all the best for the rest of the season. :)

P

PuntRoadRoar

yawn yawn yawn........

move on guys that was saturday, eagles won eagles were better on the day, its only MAY long way till september and both teams havent made it yet.

bring on round 10.

go tiges!

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Atleast this guy puts some thought and a small amount of objectivity in his posts. Nice work Ken..
but like Harry said before you can *smile* off now ;) 8)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
ken ackers said:
My good friend mightytiges - while we are all prone to bias for our own players I must say that while I think coughlan is a fantastic kid, he is not one of the top 5 midfielders in the AFL just yet. Just a quick look at say the Sun player award has him about 7th or 8th in the votes for midfielders (needless to say a fantastic effort for a youngster) this fitting in behind Embley and Fletcher of WCE.

Playergames disposals marks(con) gets(hard) IN50 clear 1st poss tackles goals
Coughlan 8 181 40(7) 96(35)32 30 42 52 9
Chick 6 81 - - 20 13 16 26 6
Campbell 7(5)136- 51(22)24 30 36 - 5
Bowden 9 185 46(5) 75(22)29 32 35 43 6
Johnson 9 164 40(3) 64(23)33 28 37 23 3
Ricciuto 9 191 30(8) 67(30)39 36 35 25 13
Macleod 9 182 24 75(17)36 42 38 45 15
Goodwin 9 164 28 78(30)36 32 33 25 9
N.Stevens9 217 33(2) 89(20)42 44 55 36 2
Embley 9 169 47(12) 49(16)35 18 19 24 10
Cousins 9 154 23 75(17)40 36 39 - 8
Fletcher 9 200 36(4) 73(20)32 44 42 49 4
Judd 9 153 22(2) 92(30)31 43 46 26 12
Buckley 9 234 35(6) 98(20)49 54 53 46 8
Voss 9 194 36(4) 79(32)40 34 42 45 13
Black 9 185 29 92(34)45 42 50 50 5

- Not in top ten of own club.

Campbell got injured in the first quarter of two of his 7 matches.

Whether you consider I'm bias in a patronizing manner or not, Cogs stands up extremely well against the top midfielders in the comp (especially given he has played one less match) both viewing him live and from the stats and daylight ahead of Chick. I wouldn't take notice too much of media awards. Most just give BOG to the highest disposal winner no matter where those disposals end up . That's why Bowden is doing well.... ;D.

Granted Chick is in the Eagles best 22 and a handy inclusion this year however if your midfield cops injuries don't rely on him to step in for the likes of Cousins, Judd and Fletcher.

I agree it is a team game. Just like Chick, the likes of Holland, Hall, D.Kellaway and Blumfield (his was playing well against St Kilda when he got injured) have their place in our best 22. Then there's our major losses in Ottens, Stafford, Campbell and Coughlan. It's debatable whether it would've changed the final result at Subi (an Eagles win) but it sure would have been a hell of alot closer and competitive match.

Anyway time to move onto this week and the Swans for us..

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
HAAHAHAHA, welcome back frawleyudud. Where have you been?

To those Eagles fans still lurking: its time to turn your attention to the Bombers forum. Stop living off past glories.