Injury carnage for AFLW teams | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Injury carnage for AFLW teams

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
From today's Age, a report by Marnie Vinall on AFLW carnage after first 2 rounds:
- 3 confirmed ACL knee injuries, out 12 mths.
- 3 suspected serious knee injuries yet tbc as ACL or MCL sprains.
- 1 leg break of both tibia and fibula.

Every season we see numerous ACL injuries for women but is it more than men per head of those playing?
We need a study to determine if Aussie rules is a safe enough game for women to play or not. Perhaps the traditional women's sports are appropriate along with soccer where there is no tackling?
My thoughts...I don't believe Aussie rules is a game for women because of the tackling and the shape of their hips and legs where their knees usually bow in more than men. This puts their knees in a vulnerable position physically. Their muscles are not as strong and may be their ligaments aren't either but it's politically incorrect to say these things in public as a reason for not allowing them to play since it may be a discrimination issue. What hope is there for a sensible analysis?

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
My thoughts...I don't believe Aussie rules is a game for women because of the tackling and the shape of their hips and legs where their knees usually bow in more than men.

I'm not sure about the science in your analysis TM, but it certainly is a concerning trend.

My feeling is as the game expands and the professionalism kicks in, the preparation programs will catch up and injuries will decline. Right now we have amateurs playing as professionals without the body of work in terms of preparing their bodies.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Players know the risk, perceived or real. People who are scared of injury should simply not play high risk or contact sports.