Joel Bowden | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Joel Bowden

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I'm not normally one to point fingers or name names ;) but Joel Bowden is dead set the biggest waste of talent going around at the moment.

How many blatent clangers is he allowed to commit before Frawley has the balls to drag him?? I think others would agree with me that Bowden as a player is going backwards and it all has to do with the way he is being coached. It is time Frawley grew up and dragged Bowden everytime he does something stupid and make him put a value on his numerous possessions. Perhaps then he might start focusing a bit more on his disposal and start fulfilling some of his potential. Also when was the last time Bowden kicked a running goal from 50m?

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Its about time Frawley the dud play him in the forward line only and not turn him into a running defender. He had 24 possesions today, 9 were ineffective. Most of the 9 were under no pressure at all. He was totally pathetic today.
Wallace or Sheedy would sort him out ;D

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
Have to agree with you Diggler.

Our whole side seems to struggle with basic disposal at times. If we could just get our act together!!!!

On a positive note, our Kicking can only get better.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Medical authorities warn this thread is a "Skeeta" free zone. ;D

Skeeta

TigersRule
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
This guy is a wanker...The loudest cheer of the day was when he actually hit someone wearing a Richmond Jumper, although i must admit i didnt see it as my head was in my hands. Time is up Frawley, he will make a good Coburg player im sure until his contact is up anyway when a boot up his clacker and send him on his way....Bowden Sucks.

G

giggler

Joel was pathetic in the first half but redeemed himself in the last half to be one of our better players. The only problem with Joel is the person who coaches him. He is dead set trying to make him hated by Richmond people. When he stuffs up he should be dragged but he's allowed to stay on the ground - anyone else they would be dragged. Even if it's just to say "keep your chin up when your confidence is down" would be better than letting him stay on and keep humiliating himself. But no, he can do as he wants and this creates the wrath from the faithful.

Oh and i wasn't rapt at a centre bounce to see him standing in the shade while his opponent was standing on the line waiting for the bounce.

G

giggler

I'm on some great drugs - one of our better players i dont think so. Better second half than the first half.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
You would reckon he was stuffing up delibrately, like he was paid off to throw games, so ridiculous are his mistakes. He's lazy mentally and doesn't think about the game whatsoever. Never seen a player ignore the obvious percentage option to turn into trouble as Joel does now. Gets the ball and plays on in a random direction then goes "oh hell, what do I do now".
I agree he should've have been taken off the ground and by not doing so he's becoming another Daffy in the eyes of the Tiger faithful.

By the way, afl.com listed him as one of our best. WTF! :eek:.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Bowden should be a permanent half foward flanker. I'd rather see him having shots at goal from 60m out and spraying them all on the full rather than doing dinky 20 metre passes that miss the mark in the backline.

You would think that Frawley would have dragged him at least 3 or 4 times yesterday. However, after just watching the replay on fox footy, i don't think Frawley was in any frame of mind to be making reasoned decisions; he looked like a nervous wreck!

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Here's something for the Bowden fans. He was voted best on ground agaisnt the Bulldogs in the Herald Sun player of the year award. LMAO, I *smile* you not! It did not say who did the voting, but if somebody knows who it was, please notify the authorities, that person is sick and needs to be locked up.

TOP 24 - PLAYER LEADERBOARD

1 N. Buckley (Coll) 10
2. M. Voss (Bris) 8
3. N. Lappin (Bris) 7
4. S. West (Dogs) 6
5. C. Judd (WC) 6
6. N. Riewoldt (StK) 5
7. P. Hasleby (Fre) 5
8. L. Picioane (Haw) 5
9. J. Sinclair (Roos) 5
10. A. Goodes (Syd) 5
11. J. Bowden (Rich) 5
12. C. Bruce (Melb) 5
13. G. Wanganeen (Port) 5
14. A. McLeod (Adel) 5
15. T. Edwards (Adel) 5
16. W. Campbell (Rich) 5
17. J. Baird (Roos) 5
18. D. Fletcher (Ess) 5
19. A. Ramanauskas (Ess) 4
20. S. Crawford (Haw) 4
21. L. Colbert (Roos) 4
22. M. Gardiner (WC) 4
23. G. Tivendale (Rich) 4
24 S. Woewodin (Coll) 4

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,4164767^19743,00.html

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
I try to stay psoitive honestly I do but fro Gawds Sake get Bowden off the ground when he stuffs up

For the first time for a long time I let a player have a serious spray and you no what it wasn't after on of the clangers.

Sitting with a new member that I have nagged into buying a membership on the 50 meter arc in our backline second quarter. Watched a bulldogs kick drop unatteneded and Brown start zeroing in on the ball with couglan coming about 10 paces behind. Our hero stood there watched as brown swooped on the ball fumbled rolled it between his legs,turn around attempt to pick it up only to have it snatched by Cogs who then hand balled it to Hero who ran off. Not certain what happened after that I just spat blood for about 5 minutes. That man has his balls in a glass jar somewhere as he certainly doesn't wear them to the match.

Ahhhhh that feels better.

But seriuosly they should drop him to coburg and tell him the only spot he can get in the Seniors is Blumfields, and they should tell blumfield the same thin. Make them earn their position.

Rant off

Lets Roar

Khan

p.s Good win

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Saying Joel was casual about his disposal would be an understatement, but 2 of our other more senior players would have a couple to look at on their game review video as well.

Clanger of the day to Wayne Campbell. One of the first things kids are taught in under 14's is not to kick to a contest across the opposition goals. Campbo's banana kick from the boundary deep inside the Dogs 50 centred the ball directly in front of their goals, exactly where they'd want it. Result Bulldogs GOAL.

Richo not having the confidence to have a set shot from 25 out directly in front of goal almost cost us one too. His handball put Leon under pressure and we were lucky to get away with it.
It's not good enough a key position forward not wanting to take a set shot from point blank range.

These are needless errors from our leadership group.
Hopefully the win will get rid of some of the player apprehension now, the team is obviously pretty rusty still. Things should improve from now on. We need these senior players to lead the way.
Go Tiges!

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
Richo not having the confidence to have a set shot from 25 out directly in front of goal almost cost us one too. His handball put Leon under pressure and we were lucky to get away with it.

I noticed this during the game and picked it up on the replay to. After that mark Leon went up to Richo as Richo was walking back to take the kick. I think Leon suggested to the Big Fella to handball it.

But I was still surprised he didn't take the shot

hungry1

eat em alive tigers
Apr 4, 2003
melbourne
I agree with Khan's comments. Blumfield and Bowden have both been disappointing and wonder sometimes whether they are only playing for their pay packet. This may be a good way of ensuring we get something out of them.

Bowden for too long has not been made accountable for his actions and maybe a couple of weeks at Coburg may just show him that getting the ball is not enough but to put it to the advantage of his teammates is paramount.

The fact that he pulls out of contests is another issue and I don't believe he will ever be a hard player. But he atleast has the ability to find a lot of the ball and he could be very damaging if he could atleast choose the right option and hit his targets.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Kahn, I agree with you about Joel. I'm not generally one to give players a spray, but he just infuriated me like few players ever have. How I didn't jump the fence I don't know.

If he doesn't start playing "team" football, stop doing the fancy stuff and start creating contests and going for the obvious options ... I'm just dumbfounded.

Dear Richmond Footy Club,

You are destroying this man's career. For God's sake, do something to help him out, before it's too late.

Kind regards,
MC24

rosy3 said:

Leon was on the radio this morning and they asked him about that. Leon owned up to calling for Richo to handball over the top to him. So he said he should take the blame for that one.

Not sure if he's helping out his teammate or he genuinely called for it.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
A bet I currently have with a fellow football follower precludes me from publically bagging Joel before round 4 of the current season. But thank you Khan for your insights and putting my inner most thoughts into words. ;)

But what I find I even more staggering are these commentators and media people. Who have proved yet again that when they determine best players the only thing they consider is stats, stats and more stats. Newsflash Herald-Sun he Joel wasn't one of our best players. Hello Gary Lyon - the disposal you witnessed yesterday is the norm these days rather than the exception. Memo Gerard Healy -Re "the moment" as you called it in the final quarter. Well I'm no rocket sciencetist but I am pretty sure this is the stuff kids get taught in the Under 10's. Yes it was a good for our team but please - that is what one is supposed to do not play of the season.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
bowden,s attitude really stinks.some posters in here have a go athe likes of dunc,rogers and king for their inept foot skills.but choose to ignore to have a go at bowden.
what is worse a player so gifted who continues to underperform?
or a player who is less skilled but gives his 100%?
give me 22 dunc.s anyday. id rather our team go down fighting with some balls.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Against the grain, I thought that Joel redeemed himself in the second half.
The main thing with Joel is, he was getting heaps of the ball. I don't think he will be as lazy by foot from now on.

But we won, so lets not dwell too much on the negatives.

Some positives;
Tivendale getting back to his best.
Rodan cutting loose
Fiora showing some form

I am a bit worried about Blumfield. I have the feeling that the Bombers may have sold us a pup with Justin. So far he looks far from the damaging midfielder from the Bombers halcyon days. Will give him a few more weeks before I pass judgement.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Rampaging Richo said:
I am a bit worried about Blumfield. I have the feeling that the Bombers may have sold us a pup with Justin. So far he looks far from the damaging midfielder from the Bombers halcyon days. Will give him a few more weeks before I pass judgement.

RR. I think what has been shown is JB is clearly underdone. I wonder whether the case of OP he had/has is more severe than the Club thought.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
I hope so KL, because he is too good a player to be running around like a headless chicken.

If he is underdone, leave him on the wing and let him get fit. The Feo match is a great opportunity for him to get heaps of run.

Status
Not open for further replies.