Just an idea .... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Just an idea ....

Khan

Lets Roar in 2004
Dec 17, 2002
Tigerland
Is the travel that the non victorian sides have to do an advantage or disadvantage.

The disadvantages have been well listed however it does mean that the non victorain teams play at least nine games at home against teams that have had to travel. That has to be an advantage. So to make the finals they have two win maybe 3 games away.

The victorian teams have between 5 and two games that they play agianst interstate or travelling teams (excluding geelong) at grounds that they share with other clubs. This would sort of negate the home ground advantage.

If this is possible it would be prefereable to play five non victorian teams at home(MCG) rather than three blockbusters. This importance on playing away teams interstate makes the purchase by the lions of the melbourne match even lopsided to developing an even draw. (did it happen again this year)

Lets ROAR :D

Khan

IMO Khan it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Having 10-12 home games (excluding derbys) should as you say make it easier for interstate sides to win most of these games and avoid a bottom 4 spot compared to their Victorian counterparts. On the other hand, it should make it more difficult for interstate sides to finsh in the top 4 for the very same reason.

The draw is uneven anyway as we don't play each other twice (H/A) then add on top of that injuries and how they affect match-ups against the side you're next up against etc.... It wouldn't suprise me that after the current TV deal is up that if 2 Vic clubs die the AFL would try to abolish the Wizard Cup and go for 26 H/A seasons.

PS. Yep Brissy gets the Melbourne home game at the Gabba in round 10.

That to me is b...t. They cant have even a resemblence when a rich club can buy a poorer clubs home game. How about Adelaide and Port get to gether and offer to buy both stKilda and Footscrays home games to football park. Giving the Crows and Adelaide 14 Home games in Adelaide

Not Quite Right huh

Lets Roar

Khan

I agree that's bulls**t Khan but the sad fact is that certain Melbourne sides (dogs, roos ) are dying a slow death (like Fitzroy did). When your salary cap limit is 92.5% of what other clubs can use how is that going to keep a club alive in the long term? How are they going to able to keep their best players. How is having poor on-field performances year after year going to attract a low-base of supporters to become members and sponsors. That's what happened to Fitzroy. Had to offload their good players and recruit youth which resulted in poor years and less money which resulted in further offloading. These clubs will spiral to their domb. The dogs enquring about merging with the saints reminds me of Fitzroy trying to merge with the dogs in 1990.

Melbourne FC needs the dough and this is a short term fix at the expense of the competition.