Kane Lambert | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kane Lambert

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Reasonable call imo. NB is a very good player
Yeh, I was never a fan of NB but he's another important role player for the Dees. His work rate is phenomonal, just like Lambert in his pomp. I watched him when he played us and his running to help out defensively is impressive. Hard working role players helped us get 3 flags and were instrumental for the Dees too.

Reactions: 4 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I think the best of Lambert's game is the John Stockton hands. It's league leading when he's on. Dion's handy too. Shedda can be. So when the other team is zinging handballs around in tight our steal hero can get a mitt on it. Or one of the others can. There's a dynamic when all our blokes are on. (We actually had a bit of this going on early against Melbourne but not for long enough.)

In my life I've seen only one set ofJohn Stockton hands outside of the NBA and they are attached to Kane Lambert's arms.

Lambert can work angles and move to holes. Close in. And he keeps getting there. He can work defensive areas or cut loose. He can shut a star down. Quietly.

NB is nowhere near as prolific and does not have the hands. NB is more like a bigger, smart Aarts. (IKR?) His ability to stand up in a tackle is awesome. He will get to the hole. But he can be caught. Pinning him his real tough.

You get Neal Bullen with your Stockton hands. Intercept. Heat that zinging ball. NB is glacial in motion. And just as hard to stop. You heat it and you take the ball off him. Defensively he plays in tight and works for a living. I'm not a hater.

KL bats at #3 for us when fit. NB bats about there for Melbourne. Viney. That potato #4. (What a *smile* dud.) NB. James Johnson's number - whatever his name is. They don't bat deep.

Sparrow is the one they want to become Kane Lambert. And he's going ok.

A fit KL easily bats #3 at Melbourne. A bit higher at Richmond ATM, in theory.

It's not quite vale. Do we open with him and then sub him off at half time? It's not like we're anywhere near replacing him. Two weeks on, one off?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think the best of Lambert's game is the John Stockton hands. It's league leading when he's on. Dion's handy too. Shedda can be. So when the other team is zinging handballs around in tight our steal hero can get a mitt on it. Or one of the others can. There's a dynamic when all our blokes are on. (We actually had a bit of this going on early against Melbourne but not for long enough.)

In my life I've seen only one set ofJohn Stockton hands outside of the NBA and they are attached to Kane Lambert's arms.

Lambert can work angles and move to holes. Close in. And he keeps getting there. He can work defensive areas or cut loose. He can shut a star down. Quietly.

NB is nowhere near as prolific and does not have the hands. NB is more like a bigger, smart Aarts. (IKR?) His ability to stand up in a tackle is awesome. He will get to the hole. But he can be caught. Pinning him his real tough.

You get Neal Bullen with your Stockton hands. Intercept. Heat that zinging ball. NB is glacial in motion. And just as hard to stop. You heat it and you take the ball off him. Defensively he plays in tight and works for a living. I'm not a hater.

KL bats at #3 for us when fit. NB bats about there for Melbourne. Viney. That potato #4. (What a *smile* dud.) NB. James Johnson's number - whatever his name is. They don't bat deep.

Sparrow is the one they want to become Kane Lambert. And he's going ok.

A fit KL easily bats #3 at Melbourne. A bit higher at Richmond ATM, in theory.

It's not quite vale. Do we open with him and then sub him off at half time? It's not like we're anywhere near replacing him. Two weeks on, one off?

Just shows how bloody hard it is to replace him, players like Lambert don't appear every day, will be a sad day when he retires but I fear it is close with his hip issues.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Are we about to check with the AFL about whether we can sub Lambert off regularly to get through games? We've publicly pumped up his merit and rightly but that is also useful in making the case that it's fair to play him for a half or so. We've established the optic that he's injured.

I have a feeling we're about to play him for a half. And that discussions are underway or will be if he gets up.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Are we about to check with the AFL about whether we can sub Lambert off regularly to get through games? We've publicly pumped up his merit and rightly but that is also useful in making the case that it's fair to play him for a half or so. We've established the optic that he's injured.

I have a feeling we're about to play him for a half. And that discussions are underway or will be if he gets up.

While its probably technically within the rules to sub the same player out of the game each week (because the injury subs rules are vague and poorly thought out), I highly doubt the AFL will permit us to do that.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
While its probably technically within the rules to sub the same player out of the game each week (because the injury subs rules are vague and poorly thought out), I highly doubt the AFL will permit us to do that.

I reckon you're on the money, BT. If we think we can get Lambert on the park for half a game regularly we'll push back. "Heroic Lambert" narrative. AFLPA.

Anyway, it's just a wild theory for now.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Also it does go against the spirit of the medical sub rule so I doubt we or any club would risk it

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
We're about to risk it.

Maybe we didn't ask the AFL. Maybe we're just going to do it. I like that. (Apologise rather than be refused permission.)

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
They should just change the rule - if a side activates a sub for a medical reason, the opposition can use their sub if they want regardless of injury.