Krakouer magic that went unnoticed | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Krakouer magic that went unnoticed

wagstaff

Tiger Cub
Mar 10, 2003
Melbourne
I was watching the Rich v Hawthorn triumph tonight, in particular the latter stages of the 2nd quarter when Richmond kicked the last 4 goals to turn a 51 point deficit into a manageable 27 point deficit.

The second of these group of goals was kicked with an easy snap by Greg Stafford from a boundary throw-in near the Richmond behind post. But how did Stafford get an uncontested goal from a boundary throw-in?

The ball was thrown in and the ball deflected front and square from the ruckman towards Andrew Krakouer and his opponent, Chance Bateman. Krakouer knew if he took possesion he would be set upon by Bateman and others so instead - in the blink of an eye - he did a double-fisted punch that went up in the air towards the central corridor. Three Hawthorn players had set upon Krakouer, not realising that he'd punched the ball away. As a result, Stafford grabs the ball from the air and, with all the opposition players on Krakouer, kicks an easy goal and Richmond's momentum surges.

It was such a brillant piece of work that it has gone unnoticed - the commentator said that it just fell into Stafford's lap, as if it was luck. But it wasn't - it was a brillant piece of play by Andrew Krakouer.

In my opinion, its the play of the year so far.

That's pretty amazing Wagstaff. Will have to check the video out closer.
One thing I admire about Andy is the little things like that he does.
He does a lot of things that he mightn't always get credit for but I bet his team mates notice.
His work ethic in the Essendon game was great, I could watch the video over and over just to see how he played.
He really seems to run on instinct. I hope he keeps that, it's a special thing and magic to watch.
I hope Andy has come of age now and really cements his spot in the team for many years to come.

Andrew Krakouer is one of those players that you just want to see playing. You can see that, in time, he will turn the opposition inside out. It's almost as if when he sees the ball that there is no one around him; his focus is the footy.

The way he attacks the footy and the man is sensational and when he tackles, they stay tackled and you gotta love that.

Even though he's only showed glimpses of his natural ability and instinct for the game, you can see that he just promises so much. His fourth goal on Saturday was something I'd go a long way to see.

He seems like he has that ability to weave through the opposition like they're just not there. If it hasn't happened yet, just keep watching.

The Best thing about Andy is that he has his dad Jims foot skills, and his uncle Phils eavasion and cool presence.

Its like having the Krakouer Brothers all rolled into one.

Terriffic pick-up........Licking my lips in anticipation of his next game.

Takes a "special" player to seize a situation like that so quickly and make such great use of it.

The most impressive thing on the weekend apart from that take and boucing goal in the thrid quarter was Krakouer's tackle on Jason Johnson - holding the BALL! Not bad for 73kgs :).

wagstaff said:
I was watching the Rich v Hawthorn triumph tonight, in particular the latter stages of the 2nd quarter when Richmond kicked the last 4 goals to turn a 51 point deficit into a manageable 27 point deficit.

The second of these group of goals was kicked with an easy snap by Greg Stafford from a boundary throw-in near the Richmond behind post. But how did Stafford get an uncontested goal from a boundary throw-in?

The ball was thrown in and the ball deflected front and square from the ruckman towards Andrew Krakouer and his opponent, Chance Bateman. Krakouer knew if he took possesion he would be set upon by Bateman and others so instead - in the blink of an eye - he did a double-fisted punch that went up in the air towards the central corridor. Three Hawthorn players had set upon Krakouer, not realising that he'd punched the ball away. As a result, Stafford grabs the ball from the air and, with all the opposition players on Krakouer, kicks an easy goal and Richmond's momentum surges.

It was such a brillant piece of work that it has gone unnoticed - the commentator said that it just fell into Stafford's lap, as if it was luck. But it wasn't - it was a brillant piece of play by Andrew Krakouer.

In my opinion, its the play of the year so far.

DEFINATELY didn't go unoticed Wagstaff - Harry and I go to games together and I remember us going bezerk when Krak weaved that bit of black magic - good pick up though by your good self - wouldn't expect too many other academics on this site to acknowledge that sort of thing!!! ;D

Bit of a late follow up here people but just got back from Oz.

I want to comment on a couple of thing about Kraks game against Essendon that are in line with this thread. I noticed on one occassion Krak dived in under a pack and came out with the ball and fed off to someone who handballed to Johnson who hit the post. Deserved better as it was sensational play. In another passage he layed 3 tackles in about 1 minute and eventually caused a turnover which is what we have lacked in the forward line for a while. Does a lot of 1%'ers and this sometimes get lost when he kicks 5,l but it is good to see.