List mis-management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

List mis-management

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Richmond’s AFLW’s list is weighed down by slow, unskilled battlers. In three years we have gone from being woefully uncompetitive to somewhat competitive, and that is certainly something.
But the disaster of player selection for our inaugural season will take many years to rectify. Some further progress was made in the offseason by offloading the lumbering Frederick for more mobile players like Shevlin and Jess Hosking, the recruiting of Poppy King was a good get, and draftee Yassir looks promising. However, the use of our first round selection on Stella Reid raises red flags aplenty for mine. She obviously is capable of more than she has shown to date, given we are only four games into her first season, but its her “type” that is puzzling to me. She is not quick, and appears too big and rangy (unco) for a mobile player and too small for a key, so where exactly is her position? I really hope its not a doubling down on the Sophie Molan-type, who is as slow as a wet week and clearly not AFLW standard. Of course it is not Molan’s fault she was drafted so high, but the only reason she will be on our list next year will be to avoid embarrassing our recruiting team by jettisoning our top draft pick so soon. But jettison they should.

Our opposition, even the lowly ones like StK and Gold Coast, have a number of small, quick agile and skilled runners that can not only hit targets but run and create off half back. The better teams have even more quality athletic footballers with these traits. In contrast, we have slow, unskilled battlers who certainly try their hearts out but simply don’t have the talents to challenge the good teams. And the longer we ignore the very obvious trends of our competitors of recruiting skilled running types with good aerobic skills, the gap between our best and the comp will, like a scene from a Hitchcock thriller, get further away the closer we appear to get.

I really like that the team has a genuine crack, and I think Ferg is doing well with the cattle he’s got. Conti and McKenzie are obviously stars, Seymour is very genuine and when King comes back we’ll be better in midfield contests, Brennan is good but over-rated - but after that the genuine young up and comers are harder to identify. Kate Sheahan and the recruiters past and present have got a lot to answer for imho, and need to change direction and get with the program. The template for what they should have done was right in front of them – ie the men’s team: aerobically strong, fleet of foot, and small / nimble rather than tall / slow. The good teams are well ahead of us in development terms and targeting the right players for where the comp is going, and unfortunately no amount of brave battler performances can mask that.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFLW is turning into a very quick game, slow and large players are becoming less competitive although you need some tall and large players. We need more speed, that was clear from the previous 2 games. They have to recruit for speed.

DS

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
I'm no expert on recruitment. I've seen 2 aflw games, and a few women games at local level. One of the games I did see was the Sun's 2020. They did have a couple of quick, good players. One of them is still playing for them. Their ruck was good last week. Their key forward did some good things. Our defence let a few goals dribble across the goal line. Our backs were under the pump. At least last week the umps eased up on the 50m penalty. Back in VFL days there was a 15m penalty. Aflw could have a 25? Or give players time to stand the mark.
I think COVID is playing havoc with aflw lists. It's demonstrating lack of depth across the competition. Injury is playing havoc too. No McKenzie for half a season has hammered us. Along with the raft of season ending knee injury across the competition.
I understand marquee players. So, fair enough on Frederick. Good on the club for delisting her.
see how we go today. It's feeling like honorable losses are the order of the day for our team.
Lots of new teams next year will be a challenge too

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
I'm no expert on recruitment. I've seen 2 aflw games, and a few women games at local level. One of the games I did see was the Sun's 2020. They did have a couple of quick, good players. One of them is still playing for them. Their ruck was good last week. Their key forward did some good things. Our defence let a few goals dribble across the goal line. Our backs were under the pump. At least last week the umps eased up on the 50m penalty. Back in VFL days there was a 15m penalty. Aflw could have a 25? Or give players time to stand the mark.
I think COVID is playing havoc with aflw lists. It's demonstrating lack of depth across the competition. Injury is playing havoc too. No McKenzie for half a season has hammered us. Along with the raft of season ending knee injury across the competition.
I understand marquee players. So, fair enough on Frederick. Good on the club for delisting her.
see how we go today. It's feeling like honorable losses are the order of the day for our team.
Lots of new teams next year will be a challenge too
Another honorable loss. One dodgy free against in their goal square, but generally we were not good enough. Moody's mark in the goal square was great football. She used her height well. Their 2 rucks are giants. We were taking a lot of poor kicks on goal with zero luck. 1.7 is back to the bad old days. Brennan, Conti , Kelly Hosking, Miller were good again. McKenzie: good return to the team. But 1 more serious injury is tough on everyone. Burchell especially. Did I read she's a paramedic. 10 rounds plus finals, then back to VFLW...I'd leave Darcy backline. Small forwards just having no impact. Got to rotate them in the middle/wing, somehow get them involved. Yassir has flashes where she looks dangerous. Midfielder traits I reckon.

Last edited: