Looking Back Until 2022 Begins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Looking Back Until 2022 Begins!

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Rewatched our 2019 win over Port lastnight when Tom kicked 6 and Jack Ross debuted.

Edit..... Sorry, half way through setting up this thread and one of me sausage fingers got in the way!

Basically was gonna ask what games do people watch in the off season?

Was going to do a poll of some description but I may stuff it up!

backpocketplumber

Tiger Rookie
May 19, 2014
In 2020 Number 8 put a thread together listing some of our best quarters of 2019. I’m IT dyslexic so incapable of attaching a link here. There was some great reading and viewing through that list.
I like our 2017 home and away game against Wet Coke. For me this was the start of glorious run.

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
In 2020 Number 8 put a thread together listing some of our best quarters of 2019. I’m IT dyslexic so incapable of attaching a link here. There was some great reading and viewing through that list.
I like our 2017 home and away game against Wet Coke. For me this was the start of glorious run.
Thanks sheeds.... off the top of my head I can't remember that thread

I'm sure @Number8 wouldn't mind heading us in that direction at some point :)

Reactions: 1 user

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Here you go, guys:

I really wish I'd done one for 2020, too. I'll pop it on the to-do list.

2021 ... hmm, probably not worth it!

Reactions: 2 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Rewatched our 2019 win over Port lastnight when Tom kicked 6 and Jack Ross debuted.

Edit..... Sorry, half way through setting up this thread and one of me sausage fingers got in the way!

Basically was gonna ask what games do people watch in the off season?

Was going to do a poll of some description but I may stuff it up!
Good topic, TyroneByVickery.

Love 2019 match v Wet Coke.
They had a very big lead at one stage, 30 points.
Then we started clawing our way back.
Later on it started raining and Jackmond kicked the winner with a snap and ended up on the deck looking up at the rain celebrating the goal.
We won 88-82.
Classic.

bpl, lovely name.

If I can be a tad pedantic, to get Tommy down verbatim, it should read:

"BLOODY BACK POCKET PLUMBER!"

In capitals as Tommy was a tad frustrated with Sheeds at the time.

Otherwise like your Wet Coke selection as well.
Dan kicked GOTY in that one.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I just keep watching any win against Geesalt. So enjoyable...

Reactions: 7 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Here you go, guys:

I really wish I'd done one for 2020, too. I'll pop it on the to-do list.

2021 ... hmm, probably not worth it!
I would love to see a 2018 edition (minus the prelim)

Aside from the last couple of games, WB & Ess, the footy we played at the G was simply awesome

Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

Aside from the last couple of games, WB & Ess, the footy we played at the G was simply awesome
Yeah Taz.... some of my favourite games are from 2018 but I haven't watched them coz I hate the ending!

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

We struggled a bit in the later games huffing and puffing to just get over the line to win. Signs were showing we were cooked.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
All the 2017 finals fabulous. Watched them too many times now.
Really love two others.
1 Obviously the 2019 prelim defeat of Cats. Third quarter is a s good as you will ever see.
2 The 2019 first final vLions in Brisbane. Dusty masterclass. Commentators are stunned by our power. They were imagining a Lions home final win but got a rude shock. Crowd had plenty of Tigers and we showed Brissy what real finals footy was.
Rioli and Bolton just too good.
But Dusty was a class above ever other player that game.
Grimes was superb on Cameron....and what good sports they were to each other. Great respect there.
The woman who kicked a football out onto the ground after a Lions point just as Short was kicking in during the third quarter was funny...just shows how QLD is still seeing AFL as entertainment ...not life and death as we do in Vic.

Reactions: 3 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Second half of the 2017 Qualifying Final against the Cats. Dusty at his absolute finest. Virtually every time he touches the ball, we score.

• Love

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
The winning trifecta of course is 17QF 19PF and 20GF
But 1967 GF is pretty good too
What about the 1980 semi-final???

It was an absolute ripper. Tiges knocked off minor premiers Catastrophies who then went out in straight sets against Hafey’s Pies. Highlight for me was Micky M wiping out Sam Newman who then helped him escape suspension at the Tribunal.

One week earlier we beat Percy Jones’s Cartoons at VFL Park. Best first quarter ever after witch-doctor Rudi Webster revved up our troops to knock over everything that moved in a navy blue jumper. Poor old Percy went off his nut at 1/4 time before TJ almost pushed him A over T in the chest. The atmosphere was incredible!

Watching live as we thrashed the Blues, Cats and then the Pies to win the flag in 1980 remains my greatest finals series memory.

Reactions: 8 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
During the lockdown last year I went through all of 2017, 2018 and 2019. I remember being struck by the final round v Brisbane in 2019 at the G.
We were fourth and they were on top. We had to win to be sure of a top four spot.
Reckon we were slightly off our best but we got an early break and lead by four goals at quarter time. We maintained that break for the rest of the game but the Lions threw absolutely everything at us and it was ripper game.

Sorted them out on their own dunghill the next week.

Last edited:

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk

This is so true.
If you can put aside the fact that we didn't win the flag, the first three-quarters of 2018 was when we were at our most dominant in all of those four years.

2017 ... 5-4 and 7th after round 9.
2018 ... On top for all but four of the last 19 rounds.
2019 ... 7-6 and 9th after round 14.
2020 ... 4-1-3 and 9th after round 8 of an 18 round season.

Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
What about the 1980 semi-final???

It was an absolute ripper. Tiges knocked off minor premiers Catastrophies who then went out in straight sets against Hafey’s Pies. Highlight for me was Micky M wiping out Sam Newman who then helped him escape suspension at the Tribunal.

One week earlier we beat Percy Jones’s Cartoons at VFL Park. Best first quarter ever after witch-doctor Rudi Webster revved up our troops to knock over everything that moved in a navy blue jumper. Poor old Percy went off his nut at 1/4 time before TJ almost pushed him A over T in the chest. The atmosphere was incredible!

Watching live as we thrashed the Blues, Cats and then the Pies to win the flag in 1980 remains my greatest finals series memory.
Looked around in my usual sources and it seems the 1980 Qualifying and Second Semi Finals are not available anywhere. Would be nice to get a hold of them. Even the 1982 Second Semi would be useful. The old Name-a-Game DVD service doesn't exist any more.
It is absolutely criminal how little of the 1966 to about mid-1980s era is available on video given how much of it was recorded. Apparently the morons at Channel 7 decided at some stage to throw alot of the tapes out (or tape over them) just to save space. Did they not have any sense of history?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Looked around in my usual sources and it seems the 1980 Qualifying and Second Semi Finals are not available anywhere. Would be nice to get a hold of them. Even the 1982 Second Semi would be useful. The old Name-a-Game DVD service doesn't exist any more.
It is absolutely criminal how little of the 1966 to about mid-1980s era is available on video given how much of it was recorded. Apparently the morons at Channel 7 decided at some stage to throw alot of the tapes out (or tape over them) just to save space. Did they not have any sense of history?
Totally agree. I can't find that 1980 SF anywhere. It's been known that Ch 7 accidentally burnt tapes sometime in the 90s.