Malcolm Fraser has passed | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Malcolm Fraser has passed

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
RIP Malcolm Fraser.

Did well when my parents were young and working especially earning cash for wages. Was never as smug as Howard or as dopey as Nazi Gaff Tone is.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
RIP - did the remarkable turnaround from evil fascist conspirator with Kerr during the 1975 constitutional crisis to becoming a strong advocate of human rights and darling of the left in his later years.

Interesting character.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
antman said:
RIP - did the remarkable turnaround from evil fascist conspirator with Kerr during the 1975 constitutional crisis to becoming a strong advocate of human rights and darling of the left in his later years.

Interesting character.
Spot on, ant. A very admirable man.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
antman said:

Interesting character.

Yep, especially multiculturalism and the apartheid. At least he showed some integrity as a PM. It's good to see Rudd and other parties paying respect to him.

Tommy H

Tiger Champion
Apr 5, 2014
Was a very dignified man and was a good PM. Abbott pales into total insignificance.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
antman said:

Interesting character.

Agree.

Howard was the evil one during the Fraser reign. The flea in the clothes pile biding his time.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I rememebr the fury he when toplled Whitlam but I was too young to know what it was all about. As a result he became the first prime minister I knew about.

I will always be reminded of Fraser when I hear the Holeproof Underdaks commercial

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Baloo said:
I rememebr the fury he when toplled Whitlam but I was too young to know what it was all about. As a result he became the first prime minister I knew about.

I will always be reminded of Fraser when I hear the Holeproof Underdaks commercial

How?

Sort of the same thing for me as a 10 year old kid through the mid-70s. Everytime I saw Fraser get booed or yelled at by protesters on the news, I always thought "he must be a bad man". ;D

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
YinnarTiger said:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/climate/mals-trousers-and-me-tamie/story-e6frg6xf-1111114264770

Thanks Yin. Grant Hackett style. I don't remember this story at all (or faded out of memory). At least Tammie stood up for her 'old boy'. ;D

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
KnightersRevenge said:
Passed what? I going to be a douche here but hate euphemism. He died, it isn't disrepectful to say it.

I'll also be a douche by saying I hate it when newspapers over-express the word "dead" more.

i.e. Malcolm Fraser dead at 84

I think 'Malcolm Fraser passes away at 84' sounds more respectable.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
There is a sort of unwritten protocol when former Prime Ministers and Presidents die that the current leader shows restraint and respect and there is a sort of bi-partisan show put on.

When Gough died and now Fraser our small minded PM couldn't help himself. He sort of praised Gough whilst throwing in that he led a "terrible government "and today he was defending Fraser's role in the 1975 coup by justifying it on the basis that the Whitlam Government was so bad. Well Tony let me remind you that the people vote Governments in and the people should vote them out ( I wonder who said basically that over the last month or two Tony you hypocrite ???? )

I was a teenager in 1975 and I still remain angry that the sacking of an elected government could occur in that way in Australia. Forget about whether it was a good or bad government, it was just wrong. Malcolm Fraser's legacy will be that unfortunately and I mean unfortunately because i greatly admired the stand he took against apartheid as well as against the treatment of refugees in australia. He also should be recognised as well for his role in Care Australia over many years.

I would have admired him much more if he had just come out and said that what he did was wrong, that it should never happen in a democracy like Australia. Gough Whitlam seemed to have forgiven him over the years however.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
TigerForce said:
I'll also be a douche by saying I hate it when newspapers over-express the word "dead" more.

i.e. Malcolm Fraser dead at 84

I think 'Malcolm Fraser passes away at 84' sounds more respectable.

Pretty sure the over-expression is yours, not theirs. To say someone is dead is just a fact, it has no intrinsic emotional baggage except that brought by the reader, IMO. I was too young at the time to have a well rounded opinion on the man himself. But interviews I've heard seem to seem to suggest his humanitarian streak is not a recent affectation but a strongly held position. Vale Malcolm.