Marathon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Marathon

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Eliud Kipchoge has become the first person to run the marathon in under 2 hours. Using pacemakers he ran it in a time of 1:59:40 :clap2

Reactions: 1 user

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Eliud Kipchoge has become the first person to run the marathon in under 2 hours. Using pacemakers he ran it in a time of 1:59:40 :clap2
That wasn’t a true marathon.

40 pacemakers to assist him.

Running in a vee format to protect him from the wind.

Plus it was held on a flat loop track with extensive straights.

Great time but a conjured event.

He got the outcome/result they’d sought or as I say conjured.

But he was good enough to win when all the rest were out there to ensure he won.

Was that the AFL Marathon? I will go and ask Deek or Steve.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
That wasn’t a true marathon.

40 pacemakers to assist him.

Running in a vee format to protect him from the wind.

Plus it was held on a flat loop track with extensive straights.

Great time but a conjured event.

He got the outcome/result they’d sought or as I say conjured.

But he was good enough to win when all the rest were out there to ensure he won.

Was that the AFL Marathon? I will go and ask Deek or Steve.

Yes that's correct Bernie.
They used pacemakers when Bannister broke the 4 minute mile too. Bannister sat one back on the fence yelling out to the leader, go faster. Then after two laps the leader pulled out of the race. The guy running third went to the lead with Bannister in his slipstream, with a couple of hundred of yards to go Bannister went around him and went onto win, what was a contrived race. I guess it's it's not much different to using pacemakers in horse racing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Yes that's correct Bernie.
They used pacemakers when Bannister broke the 4 minute too. Bannister sat one back on the fence yelling out to the leader, go faster. Then after two laps the leader pulled out of the race. The guy running third went to the lead with Bannister in his slipstream, with a couple of hundred of yards to go Bannister went around him and went onto win, what was a contrived race. I guess it's it's not much different to using pacemakers in horse racing.
Too true!

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Amazing performance. He could have had the decency to look tired after 42 sub-3min kms!

No doubt, we will se this sort of time in race conditions soon.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
It was incredible feat and great to watch. Feels like it would be hard to see it being repeated in race conditions, however...4mins has been carved off the world record in less than 17 years - so a couple more minutes will likely happen in the foreseeable future.