Marty a Rising Star? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Marty a Rising Star?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Go Marty. The cynic in me thinks that Marty and Jay were selected as damage control to placate the fans screaming for the kids to get a go but glad Marty's backed himself and could earn our first rising star nomination in yonks.
Great effort young fella, how refreshing to watch a kid play like he actually enjoys it.

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
Guaranteed Rosy - that's the least amount of Richmond supporters I've seen at a game for a long while, we were even out numbered by those convicts but you should have heard Marty's send off after the game.

Onya Dud, keep him in the 2's for 16 weeks of next year as well, Rogers and Pettifer have so much more to give than Marty!!!

I just hope no one is fooled by this win and somehow thinks this spud farmer is anything but a spud farmer!!!

Our recruitment staff should spend their entire summer in W.A. or wherever the aboriginal majority is and recruit as many Aboriginals as possible - have Staff, Ottens, Andy, Newman, Chaffey and Tivva's as the only whites in the side and just raise the flag and season's end - it's that simple!!!

And after the flag is lifted, call Bowden at the Vermont Eagles and tell him how easy it was without him........................what a disgrace he was tonight!!!

Not only does he destroy us on the field, but now his trade worth is pretty much gone - that's what I call good for nothing!!!

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Tiger fans and players were very subdued last night, that was until Marty came on and just did everything.

He is an absolute excitement machine. He provided the spark up forward that we've missed all year. You could see him and Krak gel. They hit the packs so hard and tackled their guts out to keep the ball in the forward line. Marty was fearless. A lot of other players in the team should have a good hard look at this first gamer. When he first came on I thought gees he's skinnier than Krak. The Dogs tried to get into him a bit and he took no crap. I like the boy!!!

There was one bit of play on the western wing where he had drifted down with the ball and made two, three and four efforts and finally turned the ball around which ended in a goal. Now that gave me something to scream about. Spud dragged him I think just before half time when he was already waxing with Krak and firing us up. Spud brought on that champion of ours King. Why?

When he brought Marty back on after half time he couldn't take him off because he was playing so well. He was best on the ground. For a little bloke he has a big big heart, something sweet pea Bowden will never have.

Go Marty and congratulations on a great first game!!

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
he will win it this week for sure.however the true test will begin next week to actually see if he,s up to it against stronger opponents.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Mark my words. He will end up at Coburg by the end of the season.
Fraudly will give Duncan, King, Rodgers and Biddescombe a fairwell last time tour at the expense of the up and coming players.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Tony Jewell just said that when Marty was picked up at the airport after being drafted, he had a plastic bag with all his belongings in it.

A boy from humble beginnings, but certainly one with a big future

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
IloveNewman said:
Guaranteed Rosy - that's the least amount of Richmond supporters I've seen at a game for a long while

There was almost the same amount of ppl at that game aw richmond have members, and there was still more doggies supporters there. It was a shocking atmopshere for a footy game, very quiet, the cheersquad wasnt even that loud :-\

But anyway...Marty should be rising star for sure! hope he goes ok next week, agaisnt a better team.

YeahNah

Attitude + Expectation = Culture
Dec 19, 2002
Upper Yarra Valley
Richmond are to be congratulated in the way they've managed this lad. They did not reward his poor attitude with a promotion into the seniors. Marty had to get his act together before he was allowed to put his apparently fine skills on show. Richmond then didn't allow him to do an interview, prefering to keep a lid on it. Well done. Let's apply this type of discipline to the whole list!

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
YeahNah said:
Richmond are to be congratulated in the way they've managed this lad. They did not reward his poor attitude with a promotion into the seniors. Marty had to get his act together before he was allowed to put his apparently fine skills on show. Richmond then didn't allow him to do an interview, prefering to keep a lid on it. Well done. Let's apply this type of discipline to the whole list!

I agree YeahNah - I was glad they put a media ban on the kid. Who cares what Damien Barrett of the HS reckons. Kip a lid on it and just let the kid play footy.

And I will give Marty some credit it may have taken 18 months but I think he finally understands what he needs to do and in the last month in particular he has been a "model" player. Congrats also to his good mate Andy Krakouer for helping show him the way

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
I have been pestering them to play him for months, sure he was a bit of a loose cannon when he arrived and lacked discipline, and they held him off from the Seniors till he showed more maturity....

Now look at him, I think they have done the right job with this 19 year old superstar.

Not only is he lightning quick, he is a great mark and good kick. Sure time will tell as now he will get closer attention from his opponent, but he will in the future be a proven match winner.

Rodan, Krak and McGrath - all sniffing around Holland, Richo and Ottens and Holland.

I'm getting happy..........

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I was really disappointed with Marty. :eek:

I wanted a specky. Hardly one in sight all night. :(

It wasn't like I was expecting him to stand on blokes heads like we've seen him do with Coburg.

I would have been happy if it was only on their shoulders. ;)

Oh well, there's always the next 10 or so years I suppose. :D

Well done Marty. :)

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
MC, Didn't you see that attempt late in the game where all you saw was some players getting ready for a contested mark and then you see this flash of yellow and black socks buzz past about 2 feet above their heads??? That was McGrath! He was a little early and missed the ball completely but I'll give him credit for effort! :) A good nickname for him at the moment would be '5 o'clock Charlie' (From M.A.S.H) ;D

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I did see that one tiga. But when you've seen what he's capable of, that just wasn't enough.

Late in the game, we were calling for the players to just kick it to him, in the hope he would go for one.

Never happened. :(

EyeOfTheTiger

I'm a llama!
Jul 16, 2003
A very impressive debut from Marty. We need to keep in mind the Dogs had a restricted backline making it unusually easy for our forwards.
We shouldn't expect too much from Marty this season, but hopefully he'll enjoy himself enough to really knuckle down with a good pre season ready to slot into a regular spot next year.

Was happy with Sarges game too, it mightn't have been as attention grabbing but he showed signs of a good football brain and a willingness to do the small things.

Thanks boys for lifting my spirits and giving me renewed interest in the rest of the season.