Marty & the media | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Marty & the media

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Marty McGrath made a sensational debut on Saturday night. The media have kicked up a fuss that they weren't allowed to speak to him after the game. Hearing him on Tiger Talk last night reaffirmed the decision of the RFC I.M.O. Clearly this kid was not ready to face a number of journalists especially given the press the club had leading into the game.

Well done to whoever was responsible for holding him back on Saturday night. Good to see we can get some things right.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Marty's answers on club corner were informative and concise. If anyone needs to be gagged its Frawley.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
He makes Steven Milne sound like William Shakespeare!

I'm not bagging him, he just happens not to be overly verbose. I doubt very much he would have wanted to talk on the night. A bit a training and he'll be fine.

Andy Krakouer was great to listen to last night. He said all the right things and sounds totally committed to the Tigers and understands he has a lot of hard yards ahead if he's to be a consistent player. If the Tigers can get Marty thinking and talking like Andy we're on the right track.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Agree with you about Andrew Krakouer RFC not KFC. I liked the interview and was really impressed with the way he spoke.

Had to laugh though when he called Marty McGrath "the young fella", considering he's only 20 himself and hasn't played all that many games.

Richos_girl_

Tiger Cub
Jun 25, 2003
Get a bit of training into him and he'll be right, but let's just hope marty doesn't take danny's tips on talking to the media:
1) say inane crap like:
yeah nah
under the pump
we're taking things one week at a time

and always remember during interviews to bob your head like a *smile* chicken (ne1 else notice how danny does that?)

Go marty you're gonna be a champ.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Marty is far from the worst I've heard. Ever heard Ottens speak. He makes Steve Bracks sound exciting!
Come to think of it, Marty was far more eloquent than Spud, with his tired old 1950's country cliches!!!

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Caroline Wilson was very critical about the decision to gag McGrath on Talking Footy. But Jarrod Malloy actually agreed with the decision, even saying that it might have been McGrath who was reluctant to talk to the media. Another interesting thing Malloy said was he fully backed about Richo, had a lot of respect for him as a player and couldn't understand why Richo copped the bagging he gets.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Yeah I heard that too Julz. It is interesting the number of players from other Clubs that make comments along similar lines regarding Richo. I remember Wayne Carey saying he wouldn't even consider coming to Richmond if they traded Richo.

Regarding Marty - I heard Greg Miller on Sport 927 this morning talking about Damien Barrett's spray in Sundays paper about the Club gagging Marty. He said that when it comes to players talking to the media it will done on the CLubs terms not the medias