McGrath generates Tiger excitement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

McGrath generates Tiger excitement

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
McGrath generates Tiger excitement
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
12:01:23 PM Wed 30 July, 2003

When it comes to four-letter words, the most important one in a football fan’s vocabulary is HOPE.

After eight consecutive losses, Richmond supporters were desperately searching for some hope in last Saturday night’s Round 17 clash with the Western Bulldogs at Telstra Dome.

They wanted a tangible reason to maintain the Yellow and Black faith in the short term, with 2003 finals hopes seemingly shot.

Enter teenage Tiger debutant Marty McGrath.

Richmond’s final selection in the 2001 National Draft (pick No. 77 overall) had served a lengthy apprenticeship with the Coburg Tigers, preparing for the rigours of AFL football.

Slight of frame, but full of talent, McGrath had already captured the imagination of those Richmond devotees who had seen him delve into his bag of tricks for Coburg. Those Coburg cameos by young Marty had whet their appetites for something more substantial at AFL level with Richmond.

The window of opportunity finally presented itself to the 19-year-old under the Telstra Dome roof last Saturday night – and boy, he sure did capitalise!

In one of the most stunning league football debuts seen for many seasons, McGrath booted five goals and helped provide the spark for the Tigers’ first win in more than two months.

It was a dream come true for the quiet, shy youngster who was recruited from WA club South Fremantle.

“I was excited when I first got drafted, but that was nothing compared to the feeling when I found out I was in the side last week,” McGrath said.

“I was in Dale Weightman’s room and I turned around and ‘Spud’ was standing right there . . . he scared me.

“He just said, ‘Congratulations, you’ll be playing this week’. I had to sit down, I had butterflies. I was a bit sick before the game as well . . . too nervy.”

McGrath’s teammates did their best to calm his nerves in the lead-up to the match.

“The guys were just going through the game, telling me that it was just like any other game, only a bit quicker and the boys are a bit bigger,” he said.

McGrath was eased into the fray, starting the match on the interchange bench before receiving his call-up for on-field duty.

“When I was about to go on, I was standing there for about four or five minutes because of the rotation. I think I swapped with ‘Blummers’ (Justin Blumfield). He had to go with his man for a couple of minutes. Then, when I got on, I had so much excitement that I just sprinted to the forward line,” McGrath said.

The spring-heeled McGrath went close to joining that select band of players who have scored a goal with their first kick in league football. He took a mark in the forward pocket, but his set shot veered across the face of goal for a point.

There was, however, an excuse for that first miss.

“When I marked the ball I landed on it and it winded me. As I was going through the run-up, I was still buggered,” McGrath said.

Late in the second term, McGrath conjured up a little bit of magic to volley a high-bouncing ball through for his first goal.

The Tiger players rushed from everywhere to congratulate him, while the Yellow and Black fans in the stands went into raptures.

“It gave me a real buzz to have all the players run up to me after I kicked a goal,” McGrath said.

“After my first goal I couldn’t keep still. I had to keep moving.”

McGrath’s close mate, Andy Krakouer, was one of the first on the scene to share the moment with him.

“I grabbed Andy and he said, ‘See, I told you’, because we just had a bit of a talk about that before the game.

“I came to the ground with him and he told me it’s just like any other game and to do what comes naturally and not worry about the crowd or anything,” McGrath said.

Three more six-pointers came from the boot of the little livewire in the third quarter and another one in the final term, to give him a super-impressive five-goal return on debut.

McGrath’s first-up performance delighted his huge support network.

“My mum and grandfather flew over (from WA) the day before the game. I get along really well with my ‘Pop’. He said to me before the game, ‘All your family back home are right behind you, so just go out there and do your best’.”

Another important member of McGrath’s support network has been Richmond’s Player Development Manager and former Tiger champion rover Dale Weightman.

“Flea has been great. I probably wouldn’t have got here if it wasn’t for him,” McGrath said.

As for the immediate future, McGrath’s goals are simple.

“I just want to play every game until the end of the season and have consistency of effort. Hopefully, I can play some good footy during the next five games,” he said.

shawry said:
"After my first goal I couldn't keep still. I had to keep moving."

McGrath's close mate, Andy Krakouer, was one of the first on the scene to share the moment with him.

"I grabbed Andy and he said, 'See, I told you', because we just had a bit of a talk about that before the game.

Makes you think the future's in good hands with some of the players coming through.

As I yelled out at the game on Saturday night, "Go the Young Guns". 8) 8) 8)

Fabulous article. Really captured Marty's mood, excitement and feelings.