Mel Brown on Radio 927 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mel Brown on Radio 927

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Did anybody catch Mel Brown this morning.

He was very forthright in his comments about his time at Richmond especially in terms of John Northy.

1. He clearly doesn't like the bloke at all for his *smile* weak act of deserting the club in 1995.
2. Said the appointment of Kevin Morris, which was done to strengthen the coaching department threatened John and made him very insecure about his job thus him asking for a contract extension.
3. Said they formed a working group which included Tommy Hafey and Jim Jess and other coaching staff looking at ways to improve the clubs onfield in the years to come. MB reckons Northy got the *smile* about this and failed to recognise it for what it was - trying to make the club better.

He twice described Northy as stupid. A good motivator of players but tactically stupid.

Very enlightening stuff. But highlights how crap our club has been in all working togeather and moving in the one direction.

Makes Spud, Miller, Brittan and co seem like the Brady Bunch in terms of all being happy and in love..

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I find it difficult to believe anything that comes out of Mal Brown's mouth. Always two sides to a Mal Brown story.

P

PuntRoadRoar

i tend to agree with you dean3,

from a WA prospective, Northey replaced Brown as coach of South Fremantle. Im not sure in regards to any details that lead to the change, but it could be a reason why brown dislikes northey.

but in regards to northery, he shouldnt have walked out on richmond, he still had a year to go, he should of done that and seen then what happens.

but let by gones be by gones, whats done is done

we have a much better coaching staff at present, its all positive and we can get only better.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
While not a great fan of Mal Brown, he was right regarding Northey walking out.

John Northey had 12 months to go of his original contract. He asked for an extenison and when the Board wouldn't give him one he walked. And let's not forget Brisbane had approached him during the course of the season about taking over the Lions.

The other thing this morning I found interesting (read = amusing) was Mal's little digs at KB about going back to Tigerland. Toupees, sneaking him in, Rex sending his apologises and best wishes - I will admit I had a chuckle

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Northey's departure has been pretty well-documented — I was just saying that I tend not to take much notice of what Mal Brown has to say with regard to Richmond — he has too many personal barrows to push.

I did hear Mal speak at a junior footy function last year, and he was very good. So not everything he says is junk...

Rampaging_Richo

Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
I think Mel did a lot of good for the club, especially in 1994 when he gave the club a huge shake up and got rid of some deadwood and deadheads.

But I think a few people were thinking that Mel wanted to be the new Graeme Richmond - ruling Richmond with an iron fist etc...but that made a few people feel uncomfortable and thus he was always at loggerheads with various people and never got on the board, which was a shame.

Mel is a lot smarter than people give him credit for, and I think he could have bypassed a few crap years where we were in the wilderness. Something that Greg Miller seems to be doing now.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I tend to agree with you RR. When Mal was at the Club he seemed to make things a little uncomfortable for some and so he became a threat to people. Being so outspoken didn't help his cause.

Even though we really needed to get ourselves moving forward, no one wanted to hear what Mal had to say. Perhaps he could have gone about things in a different way, which may have seen him gain more support. Instead, he just seemed to divide people.

A bit sad really, when you think about it now, cos I think he was right in a lot of things he was saying.

As for Northey leaving, he was looking after himself. He saw himself as a career coach and when Brisbane gave him the security of a longer term contract, he took it. Can't blame him for wanting to protect his own interests, but he did still have a year to go on his contract.

Basically, he did exactly the same thing to us as he did to Melbourne. Melbourne was too slow to commit to him, so he came and coached Richmond. Although I think he was out of contract at the time.

Rampaging_Richo

Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Northy can getted stuffed for all eternity.

He walked out on the club and set us back 5 years. The club was never unhappy with him, they just wanted to run the existing contract out and renegotiate at the end of 1996. If the club kept going in the same vain, there was no way he wouldn't get another contract.

Why should a club extend a contract after one good year when he still has one year left? If he and his then ugly mole girlfriend were trying to threaten the club, well I am glad he went to Brissie and got himself sacked midseason.

To use a quote I heard today "he has all the qualities of a dog...except the loyalty"