Melb v Brisbane - Goal Umpiring incident - Zak Bailey | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Melb v Brisbane - Goal Umpiring incident - Zak Bailey

Sep 2, 2022
I’m not joking here. I went to Melb vs Brisbane tonight and Zak Bailey from Brisbane ran into goal near the end of the game and missed the goal by half a metre. I was seated directly behind the kick. I am absolutely flabbergasted that it was given a goal. What is going on?????? We really need 2 goal umpires at each end. P.S. I couldn’t believe how Bailey was celebrating, he must’ve known he missed. Could the AFL be corrupt??? I’d hate to think so.

Sep 2, 2022
I’m not joking here. I went to Melb vs Brisbane tonight and Zak Bailey from Brisbane ran into goal near the end of the game and missed the goal by half a metre. I was seated directly behind the kick. I am absolutely flabbergasted that it was given a goal. What is going on?????? We really need 2 goal umpires at each end. P.S. I couldn’t believe how Bailey was celebrating, he must’ve known he missed. Could the AFL be corrupt??? I’d hate to think so.
It was a crucial mistake given the time clock. The correct decision would have made the Lions worry about the scoreboard a lot more near the end of the game.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Well the ARC dudes have different footage that they refuse to show us so your view must have been an optical illusion. Saying that it looked like a goal to me on the behind the goal video. A bit easier to tell when the ball is below post height. Saying that twice it appears the goal umpire wasn't looking up at the ball as it crosses the line.

In the end, right ARC decision to not overturn as insufficient evidence, the exact same decision that should have been made last week.

Reactions: 4 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I couldn’t believe how Bailey was celebrating, he must’ve known he missed. Could the AFL be corrupt??? I’d hate to think so.
Bailey is a smart footballer and a quick learner. Remember that the arc operator took a cue last week that Lynch didn’t celebrate enough and that was a factor in his decision to say it wasn’t a goal? Bailey just made sure that the arc operator couldn’t use that excuse to justify overturning the decision this time

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Well the ARC dudes have different footage that they refuse to show us so your view must have been an optical illusion. Saying that it looked like a goal to me on the behind the goal video. A bit easier to tell when the ball is below post height. Saying that twice it appears the goal umpire wasn't looking up at the ball as it crosses the line.

In the end, right ARC decision to not overturn as insufficient evidence, the exact same decision that should have been made last week.
Yerh, it looked like a goal. But it was 100% conclusive. Umpires call. Simple.

Reactions: 1 user
Sep 2, 2022
I could see at least half a metre gap between ball and goalpost from outside the far goalpost. How is that possible? It couldn’t have gone through and then bananaed out. Very strange! The footage showed it was a goal. I am dumb founded. Could they be tinkering/altering footage?

Sep 2, 2022
I could see at least half a metre gap between ball and goalpost from outside the far goalpost. How is that possible? It couldn’t have gone through and then bananaed out. Very strange! The footage showed it was a goal. I am dumb founded. Could they be tinkering/altering footage?
I was sitting directly behind him as he was running towards goal from the angle.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Nah mate - you got it wrong
I’ve watched the replay a number of times this morning and the ball was definitely inside that far goal post.
100% indisputable fact
Sorry - but your eyes must have have misinterpreted it somehow

Sep 2, 2022
Nah mate - you got it wrong
I’ve watched the replay a number of times this morning and the ball was definitely inside that far goal post.
100% indisputable fact
Sorry - but your eyes must have have misinterpreted it somehow
People next to me all said he missed. Honestly, I know what I saw unless I’m going mad. I was right behind the line of the kick. The only explanation is that it banana bent back outside the post after going through for a goal, which I think is unlikely. I definitely saw the ball outside the goalpost, how that happened I’m not sure. Have a look at how wide the kick goes on the live coverage.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Mate as corrupt the afl is they couldn’t doctor the footage in 10 seconds. It clearly went inside the goal post. How many beers had you had?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Feb 25, 2007

It was a 100% goal, the angle I've seen the ball goes inside of the post. The reason they looked at it was to see if it grazed the post. They took their time viewing all angles, but it ended up being inconclusive, back to umpire's decision = goal

Last week was disgraceful, less than 30 seconds to make the call. had they taken their time meaning viewing all the ARC footage, they would have no choice but to deem it as inconclusive and thus it would then go back to the umpires call which was called a goal.

We were seriously ripped off last week but in saying that Lynch should've kicked the goal beyond doubt due to being only 6 meters out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Sep 2, 2022
It was a 100% goal, the angle I've seen the ball goes inside of the post. The reason they looked at it was to see if it grazed the post. They took their time viewing all angles, but it ended up being inconclusive, back to umpire's decision = goal

Last week was disgraceful, less than 30 seconds to make the call. had they taken their time meaning viewing all the ARC footage, they would have no choice but to deem it as inconclusive and thus it would then go back to the umpires call which was called a goal.

We were seriously ripped off last week but in saying that Lynch should've kicked the goal beyond doubt due to being only 6 meters out.
My son and I swear we saw daylight between the ball and the outside of the far goal post after Zak Bailey kicked and so did other supporters in the area. I can’t explain the footage shown, it definitely didn’t go through for a goal. I was sober and I wear glasses as I am short sighted. I know what I saw!!!!! That replay was a doctored/altered replay!!!!

Sep 2, 2022
My son and I swear we saw daylight between the ball and the outside of the far goal post after Zak Bailey kicked and so did other supporters in the area. I can’t explain the footage shown, it definitely didn’t go through for a goal. I was sober and I wear glasses as I am short sighted. I know what I saw!!!!! That replay was a doctored/altered replay!!!!
I think it would be relatively easy to superimpose the ball inside the goalpost if they really wanted to do that it appears to be a goal.

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
Mate, you were just mistaken. It happens. They showed the footage moments after he kicked it. Simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Either you, a fallible human being, thought you saw something that you didn't (which happens all the time in life) or there's a conspiracy to doctor footage within seconds of it happening. Which one seems more likely to you?

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Did anyone else see the UFO hovering high above during the ARC review? Is there a connection there? Strange times indeed.