Melbourne Publiic Transport Infrastructure | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Melbourne Publiic Transport Infrastructure

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
public transport of the scourge of melbourne and is primarily the reason why we are not the worlds most liveable city anymore. i would love to see all the public transport recommendations from the eddington report adopted, but the state government has already said it won't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddington_Transport_Report,_Victoria

will be interesting to see what the state liberal party has to say when/if they release their policy...

Ian4 said:
public transport of the scourge of melbourne and is primarily the reason why we are not the worlds most liveable city anymore. i would love to see all the public transport recommendations from the eddington report adopted, but the state government has already said it won't.

will be interesting to see what the state liberal party has to say when/if they release their policy...

I haven't read that report but I was reading a few of the State government population projections recently with a small developer friend of mine. I think many people would be staggered by what Melbourne will look like in 2036 population wise if the current rate of increase is maintained. There is no doubt significant money has to be spent on public transport.

Also there is significant shortfall of new home starts being built compared to new people who are coming to this city. Queensland as well.

All I can say is if you have spare few squid and a long time frame you could do a lot of worse than putting your super in to inner and middle inner Melbourne and Brisbane property. (Particularly if the governemnt( or private eneterprise) doesn't improve public transport substantially)

evo said:
I haven't read that report but I was reading a few of the State government population projections recently with a small developer friend of mine. I think many people would be staggered by what Melbourne will look like in 2036 population wise if the current rate of increase is maintained. There is no doubt significant money has to be spent on public transport.

Also there is significant shortfall of new home starts being built compared to new people who are coming to this city. Queensland as well.

All I can say is if you have spare few squid and a long time frame you could do a lot of worse than putting your super in to inner and middle inner Melbourne and Brisbane property. (Particularly if the governemnt( or private eneterprise) doesn't improve public transport substantially)

So you do have a license for financial advice?

Ian4 said:

I have no idea where you live Ian but you should try it outside of the Metro area... it just gets worse and worse!

*puts on a good country twang*You city folk don't know how gewd you've got it!*end twang* :)

ThePercies said:
And you live where K3?
Not really that far away Percies. Just down the road in good ol' Wonthaggi... the Jewel of the Bass Coast! ;D

K3 said:
Not really that far away Percies. Just down the road in good ol' Wonthaggi... the Jewel of the Bass Coast! ;D

The only form of public transport out there is a bus. I guess you would still have a train line close by if 'good ol' Geoffrey didn't rip everything out in favour of splashing millions on the 'Rich'

K3 said:

Indeed it is, a much under-rated town is 'thaggi. I owned an investment property down, bummer i had to sell it.

ThePercies said:
The only form of public transport out there is a bus. I guess you would still have a train line close by if 'good ol' Geoffrey didn't rip everything out in favour of splashing millions on the 'Rich'
The lack of a train is an absurdity that never ceases to fill me with bewilderment! While I understand it is too late to put the train to Wonthaggi back in, there is certainly the option of putting the line that goes through Leongatha, Foster and ends down in Yarram back in place. Interestingly the Vic Labour Govt is doing all they can to ensure this doesn't happen but why?
Every now and then I need to catch the bus up to town. The bus leaves Wonni at 5.50am and is supposed to arrive at Spencer St at 8.15am ish. Unfortunately the bus, as with all vehicular traffic that goes on the Monash, well... gets to park on the Monash. The last time I used the bus service I arrived at Spencer St at 9.25am. Makes you feel pretty ordinary having to pay for that 'service' I can tell you!

tigertim said:
Indeed it is, a much under-rated town is 'thaggi. I owned an investment property down, bummer i had to sell it.
Ah mate that is a shame Tim! If you can get another one I would be doing just that as in the next three years there will be *drum roll please*
A Bunnings
Kmart
Much expanded Target
800ish new houses built
A new education centre that will house the Senior campus of the high school, a TAFE, Trades/ Apprenticeship centre and Monash Uni campus
A new old folk home and the list goes on.

Yes, I like the place! :)

In spite of all this you either catch the bus or drive the car and you should see the lines of traffic heading in, and out, of town depending upon the shift at the massive humungous water factory.

Ahhh......my favorite subject about Dumby and his dillbrains.

Wasn't it great to catch the train home the other night while reading the electronic message "Welcome to Connex trains" in the carriage.

TigerForce said:

Wasn't it great to catch the train home the other night while reading the electronic message "Welcome to Connex trains" in the carriage.
The train system is only getting worse. Now with the new schedule all evening Frankston line trains now stop all stations which has added 15 minutes longer! That's progess!

I really like the bikes in the city but gee they still look brandnew. Have you ever seen anyone riding them yet?

TigerForce said:

Dumby I like it. In this current election they keep talking about how leaderless we are. I wonder what they will say when Ted and Dumby go to election in Nov.

TigerForce said:

you're kidding right? while i'm no brumby fan at least he has laid out some sort of public transport plan for the future (not that he had much of a choice). our public transport issues have been as a result of failures by successive goverments. this goes back as far as bolte's 1969 transpor plan. some were implemented, but a lot of them weren't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Melbourne_Transportation_Plan

Ian4 said:
you're kidding right? while i'm no brumby fan at least he has laid out some sort of public transport plan for the future (not that he had much of a choice). our public transport issues have been as a result of failures by successive goverments. this goes back as far as bolte's 1969 transpor plan. some were implemented, but a lot of them weren't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Melbourne_Transportation_Plan

Unfortunately Ian, the politicians of today will never have the long term strategies of the likes of Bolte. Politics has become a short-term game now. And while Brumby has put out a plan, it will be tinkered with just like Melbourne 2030 has been to serve short-term agendas and lobby groups. Just look at the arguement for a rail link to the airport. It's a no-brainer, yet so many people have vested interests in it not being built that it will never happen.

i actually disagree that an airport link is a no brainer. while its probably too pricey, skybus services our airport transfer needs well enough for now. there are many other rail projects that need prioritising imo.

Ian4 said:
i actually disagree that an airport link is a no brainer. while its probably too pricey, skybus services our airport transfer needs well enough for now. there are many other rail projects that need prioritising imo.
Sorrry Melb needs this ASAP.